It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking Scandal: BLM Rounding Up Wild Horses, Sending To Slaugherhouse…In Canada

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It's just a culture thing really. The same reason some cultures can't imagine eating Cows because they are sacred or eating Pork because they are unclean. It just depends upon what region you are in and what the customs are. Some places eat dog, which most Americans would never do because we have a different view of dogs here. Depending upon where you are and what local animals there are for food determines what's for dinner.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I'm guessing it's just cultural. Horse is readily eaten in other parts of the world, and other parts of the European world, too. It's just like rabbit. Why don't we eat more rabbit?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't see any reference in the post so far about Agenda 21. It would dictate that cattle and horse, being transplants, be removed from the land and the bison be encourage to rebuild their herds as it once was on the land.

Of course, along with that would go much of the people that make their living from those animals. Would government do something so underhanded?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Absolutely although I think out where Bundy is they'd be trying to re-establish the pronghorn. I don't think that was big bison country.

Wyoming would be bison and pronghorn again.

They may very well decide to leave the horse in the end though. They are a little like Australia's dromedary.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
Regardless of which side you take, either the Cows or the Horses, this seems to me like a smear tactic being used against the BLM.

Your whole post is spot on.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I cant help but wonder. Did the BLM bring in 200 armed agents and helicopters to round up the horses?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Go on, BLM. Keep firing rounds into those big clod feet of yours.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Not to be insensitive, remember the song in the 80's "Wild horses could not drive me away from you"
I'm very sad for what we kill, and I have eaten horse as well, and other, like rabbit, (commonly) and cat by accident. We had a butcher that sold cat in place of rabbit, he was arrested and closed down.
Anyway we are what we are, the point that i want to make here is, that if we do need to kill something, lets have compassion for the creature,
I just cant handle all these rich bastards that will take an animal, kill it, grill it, take a bite and throw the rest in the bin....that is sickening to the core.

We humans are truly a cancer of earth!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
Regardless of which side you take, either the Cows or the Horses, this seems to me like a smear tactic being used against the BLM.

The BLM does a great job of smearing themselves all by themselves don't they.

The U.S. Department of the Interior is part of the Executive Administration.

Hmmm.

We know who runs *That* outfit don't we.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Actually, I'd say just about every branch of the Federal Gov. smears itself pretty damn good without any help from anyone else. In fact, I'm sure they spend millions just trying to counter their own image using marketing teams and the like just to come out looking as worthless as they do. Imagine if they didn't spin their image how they'd look?!?!?

My main point was really that the BLM, or any agency really, doesn't do anything for anyone unless they are being paid to do it. They don't care about horses anymore than they care about cows or turtles or some endangered fish. That's just one of those marketing image things I mentioned before. They do whatever someone with the most money and influence has paid them to do, plain and simple.

I could tell you a story about that too which I got first hand from the girl I was talking about earlier who went to DC to lobby for the horses. It's actually a very sad and sick world we live in and the worst part is that it almost all comes from Humanity and the way we act and live.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I don't see an issue if people kill animals quickly and eat them (don't waste them) but whether horse, cow, or pig I see a lot of people contributing to these animals suffering before death. Those stress hormones can't be good for anyone to consume, if someone doesn't care about the fact that they feel pleasure, pain, fear, and joy just as we do. I personally care and don't like to see them terrorized before they die so I don't get that part - it's alien to me, and I'll never understand how one can be that detached.

With regard to wild horses it amazes me they would ship them off when they are such an expensive animal. They are also an American pastime - a historical figure that should be valued a bit more. I haven't eaten at a fast food restaurant since I learned horse meat was being used as a filler in hamburgers, and I'm bummed tradition has gone out the window (zoo value this animal as friend rather than dog food).

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well...

If you want to adopt a BLM mustang you can for not very much. www.blm.gov...

If they are older horses that have been passed over for several adoption auctions what do you propose the BLM to do?
Release them? Well they were not adopted for a reason, small /mean /ugly if released would produce more of the same and horses (cattle too) are not native to the Americas.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: VforVendettea

Interesting. Perhaps because they need to be broken and that requires a skill I'm sure few have. Good source so thanks. And the only reason they can't release them is because we need more land. More people means less room for wildlife in the end. It's really that simple.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Two pages and no one who knows about this has posted yet?

I have an aquaintance who works with them- a horse owner and lover..... they keep track of the herds and only take animals out when they are too numerous for the available resources.

Normally, nature would take care of this problem with predators- wolf and such to take out the excedent. Since we haven't any more of those, we must take over their job.

If you don't do this, the animals will starve.

MANY of the horses are adopted out- the ones that go to slaughter are ones that are not fit for that physically (too old, or unhealthy...).

Yes, you can adopt one right now if you want. Hopefully you are a very experienced horseman/woman, because they can be quite a challenge, and need special handling if you don't want to be killed.
edit on 19-4-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I don't know how to work with horses so wouldn't be able to do that, but I'm glad to have the resource for others. I feel I understand the situation much better now. It's too bad wolves don't get them since we seem to have a wolf problem with killing too many elk. Wrong part of the States for each species. Again - thanks for clarifying the reason for this. It seems much more humane with how you explained it.
edit on 19-4-2014 by Dianec because: Made more readable.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I've had goat before at a Mexican birthday party (my mom was friends to some where she works)

It's not all that bad...a bit like roast beef how they cooked it

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
There is a sub group in the environmental movement that wants all wild horses killed or removed from public land as a invasive species.

They also want all cats, dogs and cattle seen on public land killed for the same reason.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Actually I posted on the first page about this as I'm very familiar with it. I lived in a small community of ranchers and cowboys. I lived and worked at the Local Bar which was one of only two bars and no other businesses for 40 miles down the mountain. Just two bars and two churches oddly enough. These cowboys even rode their horse through the bar on a couple occasions thinking it was hilarious. Which it kinda was the first time, but once was enough.

The culling of wild horses was common knowledge and talked about quite a bit. I can tell you, the majority of the culling that happens is because of Cattle Ranchers lobbying to use the land from the Gov. The use it for the cattle and get pissed because they wild horses get to it before their cattle can. Since the ranchers are Leasing the land from the Gov. they are of the opinion that they should get what they pay for, which I understand their point. The Gov. being controlled ultimately by the influence of money do what the Ranchers want because they are paid to do so. The wild horses didn't usually have much lobby power in D.C. although they do have some from different groups and individuals.

Again, like I said earlier, the BLM and most Gov. bodies don't really care about horses or anything else. They care about money. If they actually did their job right they would sustain both the Ranchers cattle and horses. But since that would take actually caring about Land Management and Animals both Domestic and Wild as well taking care of nature which isn't how the Fed. Gov. works, the Horses have slowly been losing out as more land is being used for cattle.

You can adopt one from them that is true. But since most people have no clue how to care for a horse, which isn't easy nor cheap, most go to slaughter. I'm telling you this from actual first hand accounts from cowboys and ranchers who still ride horses, cut the balls off bulls and eat them at a annual local event, live on the range, work at the stock yards, etc. So there ya go.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Well, the friends I have are ranchers that do all that stuff, and they work with BLM, and post daily pics of the various horses they follow. They have named most of the herds, and keep track of the geneology, and put up pics of new colts. They put when one seems to be "off" that day, and keep tabs on them. They care very much about these horses, and when they do round ups they go to great lengths to make sure the horses are not unecessarily injured or traumatized.

There may be different groups of people involved in these sorts of actions (god knows there are Aholes just about anywhere you go), somehow I came into contact with ones that weren't. The ones that have adopted say their horses are super trail and ranch horses, albeit they keep a bit of character about them.

(-but it is not at bars I met them, but at horsetraining seminars and on sites dedicated to horsemanship and care. Might explain why we run into different sorts..?)
edit on 19-4-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

No I understand. I don't mean to make it sound like it's a war zone on horses. My point is that it's sort of a catch 22. The ranchers legally bought rights to the land and the BLM do their best to provide it while doing what they can with the horses. The bottom line really comes down to who lobbies more is who get's more of the land, The Ranchers or the Horse Lobbyers, for lack of a better term. The down side is that the Cattle numbers get bigger and bigger. If they can't graze the land, then feed has to be provided, which is very expensive. It's unfortunate for the Wild horses because they need to graze too but nobody farms them like they do the cows so they don't get the attention. The cows are a needed business but they also just get to graze to get slaughtered. I'm not sure what the best answer would be either. I'm glad I'm not a cow or a wild horse though, that's for sure. Both of them basically get screwed by the humans who always get all the land for whatever they choose to do with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join