It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No longer able to click username to jump to previous post?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Often when reading or replying to threads I like to click the username of the person being replied to so I can jump back to his or her post. Trying that today it seems it no longer works. I now get a small window saying "this user replied to this post" and it shows the text of that post. But I cannot jump back to it.

This will be the first time I have "complained" about functionality or esthetics on ATS, but can we get it back to the way it used to be? Am I the only poster who liked having that ability?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: InvisibleOwl

This is a new feature that was introduced. Why jump back to the post when it's available in an easy pop up window?

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Because we want to pick up wherever we left off to make our response.
Instead of having to go back and 'find it' again....

used to be we could just click on the "reply to" line and it took us right back to the post to which we are replying.

????

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I don't understand what you mean.

This feature makes that whole thing easier. Now, you read a thread, you want to reply to something, you click on the username it shows the post that the member was replying to, so that you can read it, without needing to open multiple pages etc.

The reply to feature always jumped to a new page and once you clicked post it would then insert the post in the thread as the very newest post, regardless of where the original reply was.

I guess I"m just confused as to why you'd want to have multiple tabs open to accomplish simple tasks.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Thanks for your attention.

What I'm finding is that yes, I can click on the 'reply' button at the upper right-hand corner and it's cool that the posted text pops up. No issue there. Very convenient.

But after I make a reply and hit 'reply', it takes me to my reply, and I don't know how to get back to the place (post) where I left off....

Plus, it doesn't tell you what thread you are in when you click "reply"....
Make no mistake, I think it's great to not have several tabs open (with some of them perpetually 'loading')... or to have to reload....

I just want to know how to get back to the post that I responded to....
???
edit on 4/18/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

The way I do it is to right click on the browser's back button and select the post, which is usually a couple of screens back.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Oh, I see what you mean.

Yes, I can see how that would be a bit cumbersome if you were used to doing that. I suppose a 2nd tab would still be needed in that case huh?

I actually don't know if that's going to change or not.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
But after I make a reply and hit 'reply', it takes me to my reply

That's how it always worked. Nothing changed there.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

That's how it always worked. Nothing changed there. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Right, but if you then (after replying) clicked on the post to which you are replying, it took you to that post...
now I can't do that anymore?

Do you see what I mean? I could hit 'reply', and make a response, and then get taken back to the post to which I replied by clicking on the 'reply to so-and-so' link again.

???

Sorry, maybe I'm just not savvy enough . I just want to be able to go back to where I left off.
It's nice that the popup window shows you the post to which you are responding...but then you have to go back and 'hunt' for the post to which you replied, rather than just being able to access the post and pick up where you left off.

Never mind. I'm probably not doing it right.

Okay, thanks for your efforts and help.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You used to be able to middle mouse click reply, it would open the reply in a new tab, made it easy to keep your place in long thread. I was just about to recommend that method, when I noticed it don't work no more.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

made it easy to keep your place in long thread.

Yeah! That. That's what I'm talking about. I can't figure out how to go back to the place I left off without searching through the thread to find it.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Buzzywigs explained the issue better than I did

I hadn't considered just opening a new tab. That would solve the problem, I just wondered why the change

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

made it easy to keep your place in long thread.

Yeah! That. That's what I'm talking about. I can't figure out how to go back to the place I left off without searching through the thread to find it.

i just click browser back a couple times.

eta; i just clicked once and got back.
never mind, lol, i am probably wrong.
edit on 3048564630pm2014 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I figured something useful out for windows firefox users. You can hold down control, select the tab and drag a new duplicate tab. It will go to the exact place you are at in the thread too. I don't have chrome installed to test it, or any other OS to test that.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Gonna try and take another crack at this topic. I thought I could simply right click on the reply button and open a new tab, but that does not work. So the problem remains that if we reply to the 3rd post on page 49 of a thread, we would then have to search back to where we left off reading, rather than the old way of simply clicking the original poster's name and jetting instantly back to the 3rd post on page 49.

Am I missing something simply to solve this problem? I really hate complaining about ATS, but to me this is a case of fixing something that was not broken. I understand the logic of the update, showing what is being replied to, but the old system of clicking the name to jump back was far better in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Boom! I should have read your post more carefully and tried it. A bit clunky but success!

25 imaginary stars for you!
edit on 26-4-2014 by InvisibleOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Thank you to whoever on the ATS team does updates and whatnot. My "problem" has now been solved with the addition of a clickable link to jump back to the post I replied to. I really liked the idea of simply reading the replied to post, but also like to go back and finish reading the thread. Best of both worlds now!

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
And that seems to only work on old threads. No dice today when I tried it.

But silence speaks loudly here, so I will just shut up and accept it for it is. Great site otherwise

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl
Often when reading or replying to threads I like to click the username of the person being replied to so I can jump back to his or her post. Trying that today it seems it no longer works. I now get a small window saying "this user replied to this post" and it shows the text of that post. But I cannot jump back to it.

This will be the first time I have "complained" about functionality or esthetics on ATS, but can we get it back to the way it used to be? Am I the only poster who liked having that ability?

i use chrome/win8 and i just click back once and it takes me to the next post after the one i replied to.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

I will switch to chrome. Thanks for the suggestion

join