It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is The Church/Cult of Wells in the USA, and why did they lead to violence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I was tempted by this topic because some people have made much of violent incidents in the US when antagonistic religious sects provoked violent responses from minority communities at Muslim or gay events.

Clearly there are different incidents ranging from some that enraged entire communities, to more sporadic and isolated incidents of violence, and various responses from law enforcement.
I'm not saying all responses were equally justified, or even equal in nature if we all want a culture where free speech is protected.

In this case members from the Church of Wells (Texas) were allegedly assaulted at a homecoming parade (not quite sure what that is from outside the US?).
www.culteducation.com...

The church/cult allegedly enraged the local community when they shouted that people were going to burn in hell, even in front of children.
From what I've seen that's what Christian protestors always yell or make apparent at some community events, and it seems some people must just ignore it, but others can get enraged?

Maybe there were long-standing antagonisms between the community (who also claim to be Christian) and this "church"?
I guess that also goes for most other minority communities who are expected to celebrate, while ignoring damning and insulting slogans and messages from fundamentalist protestors.

But in any case, what is the Church of Wells?
How do they differ from the religious mainstream?
What is their theology?
Are they spreading, or just peculiar to one town?
What's the difference between being cited and charged in Texas, or is there no difference?

Here's a clip from a week after the violent confrontation:

edit on 18-4-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Really none of their business what other people are doing in their lives and if they feel the need to preach the word of God, then they should preach between each other because when it comes down to it, the bible simply says to turn away from evil if that's what they believe the residents are. By the sounds of it, they cannot practice their religion properly themselves in the first place.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It's a small "Christian" cult antagonistic to just about everybody, including other Christians, attempting to make a name for itself much in the vein of Westboro Baptist. It does not represent mainstream Christianity or even evangelical Christianity. We'll be hearing more about them because they make a lot of noise, but the fact is their membership is very small. Numbers are hard to find, but it looks like less than 100.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Homecoming is part of sports. There is usually one home game of the season that is called "Homecoming" for a high school or college team. They usually celebrate all week with spirit activities designed to showcase school spirit. In my high school, we had fun dress up days each day of the week for example. It usually culminates with the election of a Homecoming King and Queen from the student body who are mainly ceremonial and there is a dance for the students where everyone gets dressed up, but not as elaborately as you would for prom. College celebrations are somewhat different in nature but centered around the same themes. It's basically all school pride.

We had a Homecoming for the football and basketball seasons each year.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Just Texans being Texans. I watched this style of white trash behavior continually growing up in Lubbock.

Creating drama out of pure mindnumbing boredom so prevalent in small Texas towns. Been there....I'm so blessed to have escaped to paradise with a diverse cultural environment and a live and let live mindset.
edit on 18-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

What's mainstream Christianity all about?

new topics

top topics

join