It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the 1990s the last decade in which the United Sates knew freedom?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Are people really this oblivious to American History?

yes, most people are, and that's by design...

I hate to tell you all but you have more freedom and rights now than at pretty much any other time in American History.

while that's true in some respects, in some others, it's completely the opposite..

People are not put in camps because of their national back ground

given that the vast majority of the prison population in the U.S. is made up of black people, i'm not sure this statement is entirely accurate..

you be made into a slave (an people who claim to be slaves of the goverment for dramatic effect do not count)

"dramatic effect"?

slavery is defined (one of many definitions) as "a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person"

that sounds accurate, if one wanted to make the argument...

people can not be arrested for breaking sedition laws that ban talking bad about the government

no, you'll just be put on a watch list, or be labeled a "domestic terrorist", because terrorism is the new communism..

you do not have to be a white land owning male to vote

this is true, however, in a country where dead people vote, voting machines are so easy to tamper with, and millions of citizens are disenfranchised, or outright blocked from voting, the integrity of the voting system is questionable at best..

towns can not ban guns

maybe not ALL guns, but they can ban most guns, and they can also ban accessories, cosmetic pieces, ammo, magazines, and in short, make so many rules that the guns you CAN have are next to useless..

you have some booze and not go to jail

true, but for a while, it wasn't...if only you knew what prohibition was REALLY about..

you have a communist for a friend a not lose your job and be arrested

so it should be celebrated that stupid rules no longer exist?

if your a woman you husband can not beat you and it be legal

i'm not sure that was ever actually legal...it's possible i'm wrong, though...

I could go on but, maybe it is just best everybody get some history books and do some reading.

by all means, do continue...i'm rather enjoying this....

and you seriously expect people to READ?

lol, i never knew you had a sense of humor...
edit on 18-4-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Are people really this oblivious to American History? I hate to tell you all but you have more freedom and rights now than at pretty much any other time in American History. People are not put in camps because of their national back ground, you be made into a slave (an people who claim to be slaves of the goverment for dramatic effect do not count), people can not be arrested for breaking sedition laws that ban talking bad about the government, you do not have to be a white land owning male to vote, towns can not ban guns, you have some booze and not go to jail, you have a communist for a friend a not lose your job and be arrested, if your a woman you husband can not beat you and it be legal. I could go on but, maybe it is just best everybody get some history books and do some reading.

lolwut

Seems to me you're being oblivious. We have had more rights taken from us in the past 12-14 years than in the entire history of the country prior to that. The 4th Amendment has been gutted. The .gov is trying hard to do the same to the 2nd. I don't know what state you live in, but in states like Massachusetts, California, and many other "blue" states, towns certainly can and have banned guns, the recent SC decisions notwithstanding. Sedition laws? Pffft. Just look at what Harry Reid recently said about American citizens in Nevada. American citizens are domestic terrorists because they are using their God-given right to protest government actions against American citizens.. No, they haven't been arrested. Yet. But you can bet the rest of your rights they are on a classified .gov list.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: UziXxX

get out in country for awhile. Your living in the city and by your computer far too long. Paranoia is setting in.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Are people really this oblivious to American History? I hate to tell you all but you have more freedom and rights now than at pretty much any other time in American History. People are not put in camps because of their national back ground, you be made into a slave (an people who claim to be slaves of the goverment for dramatic effect do not count), people can not be arrested for breaking sedition laws that ban talking bad about the government, you do not have to be a white land owning male to vote, towns can not ban guns, you have some booze and not go to jail, you have a communist for a friend a not lose your job and be arrested, if your a woman you husband can not beat you and it be legal. I could go on but, maybe it is just best everybody get some history books and do some reading.

So....I can now hang out with a boozing communist black prostitute while carrying a gun....and won't be thrown in jail....

yeah you are right man....I am free!!!!!!!!!!!

the power to tax is the power to destroy. Taxation is our biggest front to freedom.....and our taxation is completely out of control. Don't pay your taxes....see how free you are.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
When I say loss of freedom, I'm not necessarily talking about the ability to get into your car and go where ever you want.

While I do mean it in the literal sense of the government throwing the constitution in the garbage can, I also mean it as living the constant fear. Is living in fear of terrorist attacks or the next mass shooter, or whether or not we'll be able to buy certain types of firearms not a prison of its own? Though, to be fair, we don't have the Brady bill anymore.

Paranoid? Nah. Just aware of my surroundings and open to more than the "official" explanation of things. I enjoy thinking deeply about things, hence the entire purpose of this thread. You'd be surprised at just how much conspiracy stuff I actually reject. (This thread is in skunk works for a reason)
edit on 4/18/2014 by UziXxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Not a lot in the major freedoms, but there's a lot of nibbling away at little stuff by the nanny state. "Zero tolerance" and/or "For your own protection" kind of stuff, and although it sounds harsh, perhaps it's better to let darwinism take its course in some regards. People should be free to take risk and learn on their own. (Even if it's the hard way on occasion.)

As for the 1990s there was much better economic freedom back then. The dot-com boom offered a lot of mobility, and when it went bust and became the dot-bomb a good portion of jobs dried up and went away. (Probably not gone, but outsourced - places like India where it costs 1/10th of what it used to here. Money is not really in the market like it used to be. The people that are left with good paying jobs now just don't spend it.)
edit on 25-4-2014 by pauljs75 because: clean up some redundancy

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join