It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the 1990s the last decade in which the United Sates knew freedom?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It is without a doubt that the terror attacks on September 11, 2001 changed the world forever. As we sat and watched the WTC collapse in front of our eyes, none of us really knew how much the world was about to change.

But by 2001, the United States was no stranger to terror attacks. There was the 1993 WTC bombing, the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, and the 1996 summer Olympics bombing to name a few. Were the 9/11 attacks the final straw? Was it a wake up call? Was it the sheer number of deaths that scared people more than before? Was it the idea that planes could now be used as vehicles for terrorism that filled people’s hearts with fear? Even in 2001 people around the world were no strangers to seeing airplanes used as vehicles for terrorism- PanAm flight 103 is a good example.

Me only being in my early 20s, I find myself questioning the authenticity of what I remember about the 90s some of the time, but one thing is without a doubt in my mind: the late 90s had a very different vibe than present times. I ask myself: is that because I’m recalling child hood and trying to compare it to a time where, now as an adult, I am more knowledgeable about how the world works? Or have things really changed drastically in terms of people’s attitudes and the overall mood of society? What is responsible for the drastically different feeling and the ever present fear and tension in the air today?

Even with the patriot movement and the 40 school shootings that took place during the 1990s, this didn’t seem to keep people shaken up. Things always went back to being relaxed and tranquil. Consumerism was high, the economy was strong, and gasoline was cheap. The middle class was booming, and the suburbs were a great place to live. The government was running surpluses even into the Bush years, up until after 9/11.

All seemed well in America at the end of the 20th century, but the 21st century marks the decline of the United States. We kicked off the 21st century with a president who wasn’t legitimately elected, a terrorist attack that killed nearly 3,000 people, an energy crisis, the bursting of the dot com bubble, two wars, the worst financial meltdown since the great depression, the infringement on the United States constitution, and the monstrosity that is the Obama administration, along with all of its scandals as well as the polarization of political viewpoints on both sides of the spectrum.

Generation Y, people born between 1981 and 1995, are now a larger generation than the baby boomers. But for the first time in American history, this generation as a whole won’t enjoy a standard of living that is higher than their parents’. Who is to blame for this? Are we an entitled generation? Do we come from broken homes with high divorce rates? Are our parents overprotective workaholics who didn’t prepare us for life? Or perhaps our parents reached the absolute height of success- such a level which cannot be surpassed?

What is responsible for the drastic change in societal mood in America since the 1990s? Is it a conspiracy relating to 9/11, or something bigger? Is it part of a NWO conspiracy where those who plan to seize power simply decided to start moving into action in the 21st century? Is the polarization of political issues, and ever growing radical views of both ends of the political spectrum a conspiracy that is being perpetuated by the mass media, used to distract us while the NWO takes away rights and seizes power? Was Generation Y deliberately sabotaged to not be as prosperous, perhaps priming them to be more accepting of a bigger and more intrusive government promising redistribution of wealth? Does the sudden 90s nostalgia among generation Y mean anything? The decade wasn’t that long ago- is this longing for a “better” time an indicator of how bad things have become since the end of the 90s?

Now with government surveillance a bigger problem than ever, with things like the patriot act and NSA trying to stomp out citizens' freedoms, can America ever return to a time as prosperous and as tranquil as the 90s?
edit on 4/18/2014 by UziXxX because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/18/2014 by UziXxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I didn't read the whole text, some loose words and I could tell you're just talking about american history, as far as I know the US is not Humanity. Here in Portugal we're doing pretty good, our freedom is assured, we're not spied by our own country, actually it is pretty chilly, I know I can be on facebook and set up meeting with my dealer and know that the police are not looking at my chat history or send threats using anonymous accounts and know that I won't be traced back to my original acc

edit on 18-4-2014 by WhiteWine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Most of us truly have never known freedom. What would it be like without this society we live in. Separate communities that had no greed or power hungry people would be necessary. I guess this is not possible with humans.
edit on 18-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: UziXxX

I'm free. My slavemaster overlords in Washington tell me that daily.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Now with government surveillance a bigger problem than ever, with things like the patriot act and NSA trying to stomp out citizens' freedoms, can America ever return to a time as prosperous and as tranquil as the 90s?

The answer is NO!!!

And to think the paradigm shift was planned, orchestrated, choreographed, and executed by evil men with an agenda makes it all the more heartbreaking.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I think you are going to find that the forces that want to dominate and control everyone and everything are always lurking somewhere.

A good example of this is the Bill of Rights attached to the Constitution. You notice the word attached. The Bill of Rights are not actually a part of the Constitution but separate.

The reason for that is it was fiercely fought over and only compromised at the last moment for other things like supreme court justices tenure for life, for instance. It has always been a battle between the powers that be and the people as to who is in control and what their authority is.

Jefferson went so far as to say the people should revolt every hundred years for good measure to put the greedy and power hungry back in their place.

You see the result when they don't stand up. More control and less freedoms than ever.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yeah, the premise of the thread made my eye twitch a little bit. I will forgive the ops however as simply being young and a typical product of the American culture....the US is not all of humanity...not a majority, not even really a significant amount numerically speaking. We do have a giant economy, so props to us for that of course (we consume like a bunch of crackheads with a mountain of product in front of us).

So, lets change the word "humanity" to "The US" for more accuracy then.

As a person who was doing my late teens / early 20s in the 90s, I have a fair perspective of then and now. First off, the music back then was freaking awesome..especially the mid to later parts. (not slamming todays music, good stuff..just not a lot of it today). But this is about personal rights and liberties.

On a simple day to day life scope, I see no difference. I can go drinking, attend church or any political discussion regardless of how obscure or nonsense.
the Westboro Baptist jerks can spew their vileness in public still without them being forcibly removed (take the good with the bad I guess). And a bunch of other idiots can shout their mind in the street if they want to.

As far as things like guns and such...actually, there are more liberties now towards where you can carry one than there was in the 90s. (Actually, Reagen in the 80s and Nixon before him was heavy handed on gun control).

As far as things like air travel and the like...I can still fly wherever I want to. Security measures are in place of course, and if I have been overtly threatening and radical, I may have landed on a no-fly list (keep in mind, flying is not a god given right to me...freedom to travel is, but not by any choice I desire...end of the day, my feet can bring me anywhere...and like...good swimming arms)

Arguments can be made about how liberties are impeded by things like the patriot act and other type anti turr-ist measures...legit concerns...but on the day to day...yeah...haven't had to change anything. Actually, I find I have more -options- for common liberties than before...but that's simply from technological development.

ATS hasn't been shut down..which is endlessly critical of the US government...so, that tells me something about this country given its hosted here...any government that lets the people gather together and gripe about it isn't doing that bad overall...could be better, but hasn't fallen into danger yet....now, once the government decides to simply shut up the westboro Baptist church or the ACLU, that's when you have concern to panic...because they will always go for the unpopular kids first to establish precedence....the people will cheer at that point, but the seeing man will cry.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Changed the thread title. Reading everyone's responses now

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I think you are onto something here.....but you are viewing it from maybe someone born in the 1990's?

I was born in the 70's and I think the 60's were the last decade of freedom.

My dad was born in the 40's and he thinks that the 20's were the last decade of freedom.

1913....is truly the end of real freedom in America....the construct of the Federal Reserve was the beginning of the end for ol' Glory.

the 1990's were financially very good for most Americans.....but it was a false "good"....it wasn't real money.....it was debt and fake highs in the markets.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

At Kent State 44 years ago...we as college students...held up protests signs against the war in Vietnam...and our National Guard opening live fire on us...and killed 4 unarmed student sign carriers.

It was at that point I put down my sign...and realized we were no longer free. We and the "freedom" we sought...were expendable.
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: ck

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Are people really this oblivious to American History? I hate to tell you all but you have more freedom and rights now than at pretty much any other time in American History. People are not put in camps because of their national back ground, you be made into a slave (an people who claim to be slaves of the goverment for dramatic effect do not count), people can not be arrested for breaking sedition laws that ban talking bad about the government, you do not have to be a white land owning male to vote, towns can not ban guns, you have some booze and not go to jail, you have a communist for a friend a not lose your job and be arrested, if your a woman you husband can not beat you and it be legal. I could go on but, maybe it is just best everybody get some history books and do some reading.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

the late 90s had a very different vibe than present times. I ask myself: is that because I’m recalling child hood and trying to compare it to a time as an adult? Or have things really changed drastically in terms of people’s attitudes and the overall mood of society?

No, I think your assessment of the different vibe back then is accurate.

I am considerably older than you and a non-American, yet I agree that there was a different vibe about the 90s, mainly the mid to late 90s...a mood of optimism. I think you have to go back to the 60s before you arrive at a similar happy spell.

I had friends and a full social calendar, it was very important to me then - and completely unimportant to me now.

Did I just get older and turn into a narky old git? I doubt it, I think I'm pretty much the same person as then.

Conversely, why were the 30s/40s such a horrendous period, with such extremities of cruelty and brutality which make it matchless in contemporary history?

Vibes, my friend.

Human beings appear to be unwittingly influenced by unseen forces which affect our mood on a global level.

Every era seems to have its own mood.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The USA was founded by elites for elites.

The two party system and electoral college are some examples.
Early capitalists were basically sanctioned by the US constitution to use human slavery for fun and profit.
Women couldn't vote
The rules for becoming a naturalized citizen included "must be white male of good standing"

So, technically speaking, it was founded to be a oligarchy and it remains one today. How free you feel is highly correlated with your status in the class hierarchy. America really seems to actively hate it's lower classes and that is has been getting a lot worse since 1980's.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteWine
Here in Portugal we're doing pretty good

Isn't the unemployment rate pretty high in Portugal?

The 90's are now like the old timer's 50's - chances are that the next generation might say our current times were the good old days at some point in the future.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718

originally posted by: WhiteWine
Here in Portugal we're doing pretty good

Isn't the unemployment rate pretty high in Portugal?

The 90's are now like the old timer's 50's - chances are that the next generation might say our current times were the good old days at some point in the future.

It is, financially our country is a disaster, but when I said we're doing pretty good, it was relative to our 'freedom' if we can call it that. I actually think my country when it comes to civil liberties, is doing really good compared to the US, after going through a fascist regime (called Estado Novo) our country will never ever let our civil liberties be diminished.. but I no longer have an opinion on this thread since it's no longer about humanity, but only the U.S and I don't know specifically what's going on there besides NSA spying on US citizens, alot of control on the internet, etc..

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I don't know that there was more freedom but life was easier in the 90's. I was also a teen to young adult at the time so that could be why it felt easier, lol.

Technology wasn't like it is now, I remember having no cell phone or internet for the NSA to spy on. You could send off and greet your family at the airport gate, travel to Mexico and Canada with just ID.

I've for a soft spot for the 90's.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteWine

People on this site make it seem like living here is comparable to 1984. It really isn't that bad - I have yet to see a NSA agent stalking me, I haven't been forced to give up passwords to any accounts, and the police don't go around killing people that didn't have it coming. You'll have a problem if you say you have a bomb in a plane or go on certain websites and claim to be a jihadist...but really, then you're just asking for trouble regardless of where you live.

Come visit sometime, you might just like it

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

a reply to: WhiteWine

People on this site make it seem like living here is comparable to 1984. It really isn't that bad - I have yet to see a NSA agent stalking me, I haven't been forced to give up passwords to any accounts, and the police don't go around killing people that didn't have it coming. You'll have a problem if you say you have a bomb in a plane or go on certain websites and claim to be a jihadist...but really, then you're just asking for trouble regardless of where you live.

Come visit sometime, you might just like it

I wasn't really saying every citizen is spied on, I generalized but ofc there are some cases.
Oh It's on my list of plans, I'm sure I will like it, I was in no way trying to say the USA is a bad country, far from that.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I think so. The 90's were GREAT for me. I graduated nursing school, got a great paying job, had money in the bank, took vacations twice a year, and food on the table/roof over our heads.

Now, I still have a full-time good paying job, but with taxes, high insurance premiums, a load of student loan debt (because us RN just HAVE to have a BSN aka bull-# nursing degree) my finances are stretched thin...too thin some days.

As far as freedoms go, I definitely feel I used to have more freedom. I don't break the law, save for speeding in my car sometimes, so I don't have many run ins with LEO, but I can tell you I don't want to have any run ins with any of them. The gubbament tapes and stores our phone calls and emails, everyone must know everything about us, etc.

I agree, the 90's were MUCH better than now...I keep trying to get back there, but it's not me that is holding me back. It's all the OTHER BS that is occurring that is causing it!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

chances are that the next generation might say our current times were the good old days at some point in the future.

i hope i'm not alive long enough to see that happen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join