It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Terrified Diver Prepares To Die As a Predator Approaches, When Suddenly... (My best thread ever

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well luckily most people won't ever encounter a leopard seal to begin with. Although this is a great and touching story, one that presents a different side to these animals, we must remember that they could potentially kill a human being, and that is not something one should leave up to chance. Well I suppose it is like diving with sharks, or something of that nature...There is always the possibility of something going wrong, because generally these types of animals wouldn't display such friendly behaviors.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that one shouldn't read this and then assume these animals are harmless. Granted, there have not been many human deaths from leopard seals that I can remember hearing about, but remember that most animals are instinctually driven. Sharks bite people because of this instinct, a feeding instinct, as would a leopard seal, or any other such creature.

Even in this case, the seal wasn't feeling warm, fuzzy emotions. She was having a biological or instinctual response of some sort. Similar to that which a mother may have for her young. Even dogs, which are highly domesticated animals, seem to have emotions, but we have to realize that most of what they do or feel is still based on instinctual drives. The dog whisperer guy makes that clear if you've ever watched his shows. All animals are this way, even humans, although we've developed beyond a purely instinctual society because we are highly intelligent. Or some of us are at least, lol.

Again, still a great story though. I really wish there was a video of this encounter. Some have mentioned that the guy could be making it all up, and I suppose that is true. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. Especially since all we have are still pictures, which could be interpreted in various ways, and not necessarily the way he presented them. The camera he had looks like a video camera does it not? Does anyone know for sure? Do you think a video exists? If so, will it be released?

If he had a video camera, certainly he would have done more than take still pictures. So if the video is never released, I would start question things a little more. But for now I will say that he is probably telling the truth. It is hard to know what the animals are thinking, although we can assume there is some instinctual drive at work, but he could very well be correct in her attempting to feed the guy, like she would her offspring. That is what I think happened, if this story is true. Maybe she wanted to adopt him as her baby. Maybe she recently lost a baby or something. Stuff like this has happened in the animal kingdom in the past.
edit on 4/18/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
That last line really killed it, "It was the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me as a cameraman of part of a huge TV network of whom thoroughly researched this place I had dived in and knew there would be no life endangering threat because no TV channel actively tries to kill their presenters or camerapersons" but the rest of the experience (photos) were fun

edit on 18-4-2014 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: misscurious

If you'll notice my Mood in the Avatar block. I make no bones about being "That guy."

But just trying to help.
edit on 18-4-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: markymint

It's clearly not staged - real animal there. I'm sure they had a med team and someone standing by to shoot if an attack took place. People who do this stuff take chances all the time, and some die for the sake of research or entertainment. I watched the video embedded on page one several times. I truly wonder about one persons comment that she saw a reflection in the camera. She tried to feed the camera at one point.

Who knows how she viewed this guy. She ran another seal off to protect him so maybe she is into novel experiences, (and certainly satisfied food wise so wasn't an immediate threat). Maybe they drugged her too - although this guy is a scientist so I seriously doubt he would allow this. Next time - I want to see them do this with a polar bear (get that close).

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
a reply to: projectbane

This is the most sensible and awesome comment on this overrated thread.

Shows how people on ATS are so easy to believe anything as a group, without actually having any definite proof. Chuck a story in with a few pics and give it the apt wording and loads of members lap it up like its gold dust!!

this is a prime example of how stories in the MSN and on sites like this are incredibly manipulated. Say the right thing to the right people and the truth doesn't matter. They will spread it around freely and with complete belief.

I don't think we belong her anymore!
Want to meet up and go swim naked with dangerous water creatures?
U2U me. . .

I'll swim naked with you in volcano lava.
Facebook me @ Deja Miasma

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
And you people honestly believe this # ?

Very good point...

Is the National Geographic channel a propaganda machine?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I thought the same thing ... but I also thought, those poor penguins! The photographer takes great joy in the fact that this seal is capturing penguin after penguin after penguin. Even if released, they must have been injured by those teeth. I do realize that this happens every day in the wild, and a seal's gotta eat, but ... four days, really? Changed OP's outlook on life because it "nurtured" the photographer but don't forget at the same time it was capturing penguins like they were nothing.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Thanks bud ... You just helped to make my day much lighter ...

Next ...

a reply to: anon72

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Jiggy,

You don't get the recognition on ATS you deserve in my opinion. Every post is always a good post with you. I also agree with you and the seal having a biological or instinctual response. I don't see a seal trying to save the poor human thinking, "aw so cute, lets feed the poor little guy. It's OK mr human I'll save you!" No I see a confused seal trying to feed what she thinks is a juvenile or sick seal.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Very nice thread. Here you can see that mother nature is not as dangerous as most humans are. S&F

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Jabbah

How do we know we live in a giant hologram, how do we know Obama is a vile reptilian, how do we know this leopard seal was in reality an angel ?
You people just need to relax, the world can be a beautiful place sometimes, just let you go, good definitely do exist!

How don't we know we live in a giant hologram, how don't we know Obama is a vile reptilian, how don't we know this leopard seal was in reality an angel ?
You people just need to get serious, the world can be a horrible place sometimes, just let it go, evil definitely does exist!

The next time you see a leopard seal in person, face to face, give him a big hug and kiss from me!
edit on 4/19/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Illuminawty

That's a little too hot for even me!

I have an idea, why don't we go to the zoo and sneak into the lion exhibit?
Those lions are so cute and fluffy!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I see the thread derailers are still trying. Keep up the good work.

Fact of the matter is... ATS offers so much to the readers/vistors as so for the Presenters/threadmakers.

So, if something is "good", it shows and has legs?

You folks on the other hand decide to derail instead of taking something good or benificial from a thread.

Now, how can you not look at that pic when the guy believes the seal thinks he may be sick or something (before he gets the weak/ill/dead pengs).

I just might make that my new avatar! I am pleased to see MANY liked this. As I noted in the beginning, not much to say or read-the pics tell it all (in a human format, of course).

I could easily subtitled some made up funny lines and made the whole story into something different.

Anyway, have a Great weekend everyone and thank you for taking a peak at this one. I think the whole site needs to take a sidetrack every once in a while. That being said.....

Back at it. I can promise my next thread won't be a "cute" (yep, I said it= cute) Slay me
~

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Actually, I'm hopefully trying to save a life or two.
It saddens me when I see people being eaten by something smarter then themselves!

Please don't take the above advice:
The next time you see a leopard seal in person, face to face, give him a big hug and kiss from me!

I'll leave your precious thread but I'll ask one more question:
How do you know the leopard seal was not just trying to fatten him up for a bigger feast later on?
He did look pretty thin, maybe it had kids to feed also?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
DP - what's with this lately?
edit on 4/19/2014 by AnteBellum because: Donkey Punch = DP = Double Post

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What a great story! S&F OP, that made my day.

If the pictures alone don't bring a smile to your face and/or a tear to your eye... time to get off this rock!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Well given my screen name I think I have to comment on this. Awesome article. I had a dream when I was younger where one of these magnificent animals was presented to me and I was told it was my power animal. Ever since I have loved them.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: deltaalphanovember

-viddi from which quotes are taken:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Lucky man, that was its 4 day courting ritual...... on the 5th day you would've been a leapord seal bitch !!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Since this is a pretty old story, why don't those that don't really believe it, look up to see what the nay sayers have found out.....when I say old story I mean more than a year at least.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join