It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Terrified Diver Prepares To Die As a Predator Approaches, When Suddenly... (My best thread ever

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: anon72

Here's one of them. Cool story!

No offence intended and nor personal to you, but this post is like "that guy" that ruins the end of the movie before you have seen it.
I always read the first couple of posts on a thread, before I click on a link
edit on 18-4-2014 by misscurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. It confirms my theory that animals are way, way, way better than people.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jansy
Leopard seals ARE vicious predators...when it comes to their prey. They hunt for food...to survive. Just like all other predators (including, on occasion, man). Often, though, when predators encounter humans (or other potential prey) they choose NOT to kill...often because they have just fed. Predators do not kill for sport (as humans do) or for pleasure, but they kill instinctively to survive. When survival is not in the balance......then sometimes miracles happen.

Sorry, that's BS.

There are plenty of other animals that kill for sport. And all predators go through a period of training young ones on how to hunt. Human's "sport" hunting could be considered a similar way, keeping ones skills honed and strong as to not loose prey in the future when they aren't in abundance.

Plenty of other creatures demonstrate sadistic behavior usually only blamed on humans by people like you. The common theme is that INTELLIGENCE breeds sadism, violence, suffering, etc. Humans being highly intelligent will display these traits. Other animals (many of them in the sea suspiciously) that are highly intelligent also show those traits and play with life and death of lesser creatures for reasons other than survival.

Just because you refuse to recognize the truth and live in a fantasy world where all the fuzzy bunnies get along and sing songs doesn't mean that world is real. This video shows one side of nature, the caring light side. But there is also a dark side that all creatures have, dolphins are known to rape other sea creatures to death. Also to run around torturing other creatures before killing them and not eating them.

This video, even if it's spotlighting of a caring and kind creature, also shows it's complete lack of concern for the lives of those penguins. One after the other being taken, injured to various degrees, and let go to die later or die in that things jaws. There's nothing sweet or caring about that. Unless you agree that lesser creatures are lesser creatures and it's OK to use them for our purposes. The seal agrees, that's why he doesn't care. Or he is just too stupid to understand life and death, but that can't be true because all the animal lovers talk about how intelligent they are. Can't be too intelligent if they don't understand what killing and injuring another creature means.

Humans aren't unique, we aren't some boogey men more evil than nature, Actually I'm wrong, humans are unique in our self loathing based on arrogance where we think any trait or feature we have is all ours and no other creature could share it. You're wrong.
edit on 18-4-2014 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
How do we know the pictures tell the true story?
Could have spun it any way he wanted to. . .

Someone needs to go ask the Leopard Seal before an innocent tourist becomes another statistic!

This is the most sensible and awesome comment on this overrated thread.

Shows how people on ATS are so easy to believe anything as a group, without actually having any definite proof. Chuck a story in with a few pics and give it the apt wording and loads of members lap it up like its gold dust!!

this is a prime example of how stories in the MSN and on sites like this are incredibly manipulated. Say the right thing to the right people and the truth doesn't matter. They will spread it around freely and with complete belief.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I would like to hear this story from the penguins' point of view

Seriously though, I am hearing more and more about the animal kingdom getting smarter and smarter, and starting to socially behave as we once did, while we as a species try our hardest to kill each other in the most horrible ways that we can imagine. The animal kingdom will probably pass us soon, and then they will be clubbing us and making shoes of us.
edit on 18-4-2014 by Illuminawty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Good for the man and the seal, how touching.

in other news, from the Penguin Herald Tribune the
headline reads....

"Serial killer and accomplice go on four day rampage: Fourteen dead"

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Olivine
That is incredible. I saw a documentary on the leopard seal years ago. Ever since then, I was convinced they were one of the most terrifying predators in the sea. What a gorgeous alternative view of this creature.

Thanks for posting!

Leopard seals are terrifying just like orcas and great white sharks, but that doesn't mean they aren't also worthy of our respect and study. She could just as easily decided that he was invading her space and competing for her food, and this story would have been very different.

If you don't see just by looking at her that you should be scared and give her a healthy respect just because you've read this cute and admittedly interesting story, then you're a fool because the reality is that this is not much different than someone who sees the story of Christian the Lion and decides that lions aren't really all that dangerous after all.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

That's exactly what I was thinking immediately upon seeing that photo of the diver and the seal in the same photo. How'd he pull that off? At any rate, the camera/head combo is too large to fit into the Predator Seal's mouth. And if it's so dangerous of an animal, why didn't he go down in a cage, like divers do to film the really dangerous sharks?

Something's "fishy" with this little picture storybook. The mandatory disclaimer at the bottom of the page does say that not everything written is accurate. Disclaimers are one of the few things that make me say, "Thank goodness for lawyers."
-cwm

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
So, some guy scuba diving in ANTARCTICA is stranded for 4 days in ANTARCTICA and fed penguins by a wild seal.
And you people honestly believe this # ?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

Shows how people on ATS are so easy to believe anything as a group, without actually having any definite proof. Chuck a story in with a few pics and give it the apt wording and loads of members lap it up like its gold dust!!

this is a prime example of how stories in the MSN and on sites like this are incredibly manipulated. Say the right thing to the right people and the truth doesn't matter. They will spread it around freely and with complete belief.

I don't think we belong her anymore!
Want to meet up and go swim naked with dangerous water creatures?
U2U me. . .

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Really not much to say. Great story and thanks for sharing it with us

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It is doubtful that I will ever find myself in her territory. My 2nd post in this thread shows that I am fully aware of the capabilities of the leopard seal.
I stated it was nice to see a different side to their behavior.

BTW, you do know realize there are zero accounts of any orca killing humans in the wild, right?

Truly, thanks so much for taking the time to state that you find me a fool.

edit on 4/18/2014 by Olivine because: wording

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is really cute, thanks for sharing. I bet that guys heart was going to explode in his chest! Can't image the fear and relief at the end. Really really cool

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

a reply to: projectbane

I don't think we belong her anymore!
Want to meet up and go swim naked with dangerous water creatures?
U2U me. . .

U2U done!! I think, not sure how to really use it!
edit on 18-4-2014 by projectbane because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wow!! what a fantastic read.

Those pictures were incredible and the story, inspiring. Thanks for giving me a much needed reminder about how wonderful this planet can really be.

Beautiful!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

He probably looked a little skinny to her

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

I didn't say that you were a fool just that anyone who would decide that a predator isn't all that dangerous because of one anecdote is a fool. Are you that person? If not, then I wasn't talking to you specifically as a fool.

And I do know that there has never been a recorded instance of an orca killing a human in the wild, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't. They are more than capable, and a person would be wise to understand that. Generally speaking, I'm betting the only reason there hasn't been an accident is because people do not go scuba diving or snorkeling with them as a matter of course like they do with some other members of the dolphin/toothed whale family.

Again, you'd have to be a fool not to respect them and realize that, and that goes for anyone, you, me, anyone.

So, are you the person who will see this and go swimming up to a leopard seal expecting them to behave like giant, overly curious house cats, or would you be more respectful of their space? If the latter, then I wasn't calling you, personally, a fool, but thanks for totally misreading what I wrote.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

How do we know the pictures tell the true story?
Could have spun it any way he wanted to. . .

Someone needs to go ask the Leopard Seal before an innocent tourist becomes another statistic!

How do we know we live in a giant hologram, how do we know Obama is a vile reptilian, how do we know this leopard seal was in reality an angel ?
You people just need to relax, the world can be a beautiful place sometimes, just let you go, good definitely do exist!

edit on Jpmbbpm09 by Jabbah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
pretty sure the seal mistook the human for either a sick or juvenile seal and was trying to either help teach it to eat and hunt or was trying to support its own kind.

take off the flippers and neoprene and i bet the seal will go "ewwww!!! your one of those nasty human things!!!"

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Dolphins rape other sea creatures to death? Where is there evidence of this? I'm not aware of anything in the literature on it so something would help.

I don't think we can attribute animal behavior to the same motivations humans would have anyway. Playing with the penguin seems cruel, to me just as much as anyone. When a pack of wolves takes a deer down I feel that way too. I believe there is some research out there that has shown they go paralyzed in some cases, and certainly adrenaline is pumping. I'm not defending on either front but for the most part would support that animals are not as consciously and deliberately cruel as some humans can be. At this time I'm not aware of any proof of this. A cat chases a mouse and tortures it, and that is the closest I can think of as far as something close to human cruelty goes. It looks like playing but it could be a way to sharpen their hunting skills (catch, release, catch, release, etc).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join