It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should listen to our Seniors

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
ltinycdancerg , ours was the peace love, rock and roll generation, anti establishment, non materialistic, that went on to be greedy and materialist, please don't blame all of us.
edit on 093030p://bSunday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

It really sucks to think the world might be ending just as you're arriving on the scene. Context is so important - and views change based on our place in the world

Yeah - when I was that age I thought the world was nearly done

Mostly thanks to science fiction and PBS :-)

And now? I still think the world is nearly done, but I also know it might not be...

I am grateful for small things - just like that

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

There's a few of us, very few indeed, that never went against those almost impossible ideals. In Canada, they live that life in places far from cities, like islands off the west coast of Canada. Others, who 'sort of' kept the 'faith' live frugally in cities, don't own cars or televisions, but are 'connected' through the internet and keep the environmentalism of the 60's alive even though they're a recent generation.

The ideas are still alive here and there to varying degrees within all age groups. Some are seniors like myself, others are children just starting school and the majority who hold those values are in between the two.

Wisdom comes natural to all ages.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

It did suck badly and was a major influence in my life. I remember very well the night I stayed up to watch the UN telecast during the October Crisis and was certain that we were in for a nuclear war.

Not long after that, when my wife and I had our first baby, we moved to the Northwest Territories to escape being among the first casualties. As I was also in the Canadian Army, there was a good chance to become activated, but at least my wife and baby would be safe from nuclear bombs in Canada's last great wilderness.

To think our children may once again be faced with the same fears if the Ukrainian Crisis goes international pisses me off.

Edit to add: and all those politicians and CEO's who are rubbing their hands over the prospect of big profits and being 'war presidents' are, for the most part seniors. So there goes that idea that all seniors should be listened to or respected.
edit on 20/4/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

That's very true. I work with a lot of seniors too, and I have found many of them to have developed wisdom, strength, and inner calm. But some of them were mean, nasty, shallow people in their youth and remain that way into old age. They never grew up or developed any maturity or insight. It seems to me that after 75+ years on earth, you would gain some knowledge and maturity, but I think some people are so stubborn they actively try not to.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

So much to say - about those times and present - dashed dreams - who is committed to what...A whole thread could be dedicated to this I think :-)

In reply to this post - and your post to Stormdancer as well...

My dad gave me a copy of Silent Spring to read when I was about 10. I never really recovered

I never got my drivers license - when I was a kid I decided the world could do with one less car. Ridiculous (I'm sure) is how that might seem to many - but I stuck it out. It's not really that big a deal or that difficult as it turns out - but it is inconvenient at times. You can live a life any way you choose - this is one thing I know. I've always believed that this world of perpetual commuting we've created is poison

I also have to live with the reality of knowing that my stance and contribution have probably not changed one damned thing :-) Ah well...to thine own self be true - right? I'm not actually anti-car, and ironically nobody loves a road trip like I do

I - like you - know many others that take these things seriously. War and peace - hunger - ecology - civil rights - all of it. Ultimately, it won't always be the people that saw the problems earlier on and campaigned, protested, worked and lived for change - sometimes it will be necessity that forces humanity's hand

Wisdom is useful - but, you know how that goes

C'est la vie

:-)

edit on 4/20/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I also have to live with the reality of knowing that my stance and contribution have probably not changed one damned thing :-) Ah well...to thine own self be true - right? I'm not actually anti-car, and ironically nobody loves a road trip like I do

I - like you - know many others that take these things seriously. War and peace - hunger - ecology - civil rights - all of it.

My stance is the same, Spira.
And yes, we did make a difference. We DO make a difference.
Not very pronounced, but a difference all the same. And there are plenty of our 'kids' (whether you have children or not, our generation certainly did have an impact - which is now 'resurfacing' even though it never really went away) who are still on the bandwagon for environmentalism, peace, and equality as well as freedom. They might think it's a 'new' idea - but oh well. That's fine...
they're still carrying on the 'good fight' even if they think it was an original crusade. Sometimes kids don't remember where they got their ideas/principles from....but as they grow older, they will.

Empathy is a thing that just doesn't seem to stick the landing very often....but it never dies.
Road trip????
Count me IN!!! (Just give me a few minutes to throw some stuff into a backpack, take the recycling to the curb, and count up my piggy bank to pitch in for gas....where we going? Grand Canyon!!??? COOL!)

edit on 4/20/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I think I articulated that not all seniors should be listened to.

There are ignorant immature jerks of every age.

Congrats on the courage and actions of moving to the NW in Canada. I don't think there's a fool proof safe location but clearly some are more sensible than others.

I think that location will likely prove to be one of the better ones . . . depending on the reach Russia exerts when it takes over Alaska etc.

Some seniors have a lot to offer in terms of wisdom of living off the land and prepping.

BTW, you have a U2U.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Excellent!
I know you're right - and also I know plenty of kids and younger folks today that are on the path. The more things change - the more they stay the same

I honestly love these kids - their energy and ideals are infectious. The thing of it is is - age really doesn't matter. Then and now - it will take all of us to make a difference. That goes for liberal and conservative as well as young and old

Camping in the desert? My personal favorite. It's been a while - too long actually

Meet you in Four Corners?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Meet you in Four Corners?

Sure!!
We could even do a float trip first and then head for the Canyon....I remember such an excursion when I was 17, a summer-school course that my parents took me on and which my uncle (the geology professor) had designed. It was awesome...on the Green River....

camping in the desert. Moab, Utah. Campsite A1. That was my family's 'spot'. I wanted to someday hike from there to the LaSalle Mountain range (visible in the distance). Have yet to accomplish it....

But I did manage to hike down into the Canyon, we camped a night, then back OUT of the Canyon. Awesome.

Yes, we seniors know some stuff. I wish more kids would listen to the 'outside the box' seniors. But at least they will listen to their peers.....

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

It was awesome...on the Green River....

Did the exact same thing when I was 17 - and on the Green

hmmm...

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Floated the Green many times in my belly boat; caught and released some huge trout; saved the life of a drowning Mormon child, beautiful magical place!!

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The word magical doesn't do it justice

What is it about the Southwest?

Anyhow, the natural world does sort of put us in our place - doesn't it? Forces us to think past our own selves
edit on 4/20/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
im arrogant and will not listen to anyone
2nd

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69
That commercial is awesome! Loved it!! The elderly have so much good advice to offer, this commercial was full of it! Even shed a tear

Before my grandparents passed away they would tell stories about their life and the lessons they learned along the way. As I got older I took it to heart, but thinking about all the advice I missed as a teen/young adult because I thought they didn't know what the times were like. Turns out they did know what they were talking about, life has nothing to do with "the times." Miss them tremendously.

originally posted by: biggmoneyme
im arrogant and will not listen to anyone
2nd

That's too bad, you're missing out on so much good advice. Don't you ever look back at your life and think of things you may have done differently if you had the chance? We have to opportunity to learn from other peoples mistakes, those that have lived a long time. Give it a chance, you may change your mind.
edit on 20-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: added

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My parent's and grandparent's tried to tell me which mistakes I should avoid, but I made them anyway.

I tried with my kids, and they did the same.

I suppose it's like when your waiter tells you to e careful because the plate is hot, and you immediately need to touch it to see for yourself.

Go sit in a place that serves food on hot plates, 80% will touch that plate in spite of being warned not to.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Wow bro...!

I was seriously just thinking of posting a thread like this.. !

the video was a bit riveting ..

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I've heard it said that one should obey one's parents.

However, now with people getting older and staying fitter for longer, one has a generation after this one, and then another generation.

Somebody in his late thirties may be told by his parents in their late sixties that he should follow their advice, because children must always obey their parents.

But only if they obey granny in her nineties.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Worth listening to very much so, because their wisdom is the type of wisdom that is hard to get because it won't seem right at first, it won't seem logical and fitting, but then it turns out after certain circumstances occur that it's right on the money - it just wasn't understood or believed at first.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I agree. The ancients have stolen everything. I'm happy I learned to listen to my elders. Lots of good stuf to learn.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join