It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should listen to our Seniors

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua
there have always been individuals that see behind the curtain, such as yourself- THANKFULLY!
but thanks to tech- we are connecting and empathizing with each other in radically new ways and on a global scale.

edit on 18-4-2014 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Floydshayvious
I love and respect my seniors but I shouldn't have listened when they advised me to go to college - it's not the world they grew up in. I should have realized that and listened to myself - but I wanted wise advice. No big deal - I still love 'em.

I remember telling my Dad, "It's a different world then you grew up in."

And like a recording stuck on loop, it keeps repeating itself, over and over...the generations.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ltinycdancerg
a reply to: masqua
there have always been individuals that see behind the curtain, such as yourself- THANKFULLY!
but thanks to tech- we are connecting and empathizing with each other in radically new ways and on a global scale.

You have to remember, there are others who are using the same tech to connect and empathize with each other in a way you may oppose. SSDD comes to mind

edit on 18-4-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It is a wonderful sentiment to be sure.
but in the case of my grandpa--- god rest his soul--- might not be the best idea.

I mean he was a real hoot, always had a story to tell the kids.
Oh and you never let the dress wearing girls sit on his lap...
and you never asked him to tell you about his Korean war days... he could flash back and he always had a gun within reach. Just saying not all old dudes are harmless.

Our church does have a surrogate grandparents program and both my daughters are signed up.
It's a win, win for them but I do fear Betty getting a wild hair one day and loading up my kids on pixie sticks and red bulls before sending the gals home. She's threatened to do it before! LOL

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, Slayer!

As a member of the 'older generation', I have to agree:...LISTEN TO ME!

I may babble on and on, as us old folks are wont to do....but, every once in a while, I may say something important.

Seriously, though, there's no substitute for common-sense wisdom- and that can come from anybody, anywhere, anytime and of any age.
If I want true wisdom on a subject, without all the long-winded BS, I ask a young child what they think; what they would do.
They can simplify things into terms that even us adults can understand!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ltinycdancerg
I welcome wisdom and intelligent discourse/education- HOWEVER...

It is me and my fellow 'youngsters' who are forced to suffer the consequences; lie in the dirty bed made by these such "Seniors"

These seniors created this cluster**** of a world we live in, yet we did not ask nor did we play any part in creating it.

So, forgive me in my hesitation to listen when these 'seniors' are speaking...

To blame seniors for the world we live in would be like blaming your neighbor for the disrepair of your house.

To lament what was, as opposed to fixing what is, makes you just as culpable for the state of the nation.

The point is to learn from them, even their mistakes, its all just Data, the more you have the better.

Take it all in, mistakes and wins, and analyze it from the perspective of sorting for useful data.

To disregard all on the basis you use is just ignorant.

ETA:

I would add, the majority of my Political views now align to my "elders", People like my father and grandmother who told me the Government was all a sham to milk the general populace.

They had lived a life filled with watching the Unfairness of it all, In point of fact, I was the blind sheep that dismissed them as crazy old people spouting nonsense.

Since 2000 though, Life has taught me they where right all along, and I was wrong .
edit on 18-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69
I always try to listen to children, men, woman,animals to life the teacher, as you can learn from everything.
Today you cannot follow the advice of every elderly person as many appear as just insane/blank ( and lacking of wisdom) as persons half their age .
There was a time when elderly were in charge based on their wisdom, that time it appears has gone, now we isolate our elderly into "resthomes" and gated communities.
The ideas on how we do not value elderly came about when we started to value people on the basis of income generation. As though (taxes) are a real contribution to society (taxes go to wars, corrupt govts, corrupt individuals, corporations, and a private banking cartel).

Respect all, listen to all but follow your heart.
Don't get dependent on other people for wisdom, the source of wisdom is in you(otherwise how would you recognize wisdom) find it within yourself.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
By what yardstick does someone define another as being 'OLD'?

During my working life (retired now) looking around the cul-de-sac

where I live I always thought I was the youngest. Been retired for

sometime now I'm beginning to realise I think I am actually the

oldest!! LOL!!!

# My daughters say to me "you can't wear those shoes" (heels) I reply

"Why not?" ....

# "You shouldn't drive that distance, take the train"

# You shouldn't be on those step ladders"

# Leave the hedge cutting, I'll do it for you later ....

While I can manage it all goes toward keeping me healthy, fit, alert'

and dare I say it 'young?'

In my head I am a good 20 years younger than my actual age (which

I never get taken for anyway) .... I think the secret (health aside)

is in staying interested, active, and not conforming to the

stereotype of others of how you should be at any stage of your life

Whilst researching my family tree in 2004 with a cousin, we met

a step uncle who was 100 years old .... still driving, swimming and

with a memory sharp as a pin, with family stories from the turn of

the last century!!

So what is OLD??

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I don't believe that anyone deserves to be listened to simply because they're older than me. I think those who earn my respect are more than welcome to counsel me.

There are plenty of elderly people who believe erroneous things.

For example, those who see women as inferior/unequal to men because of Biblical teachings that they were raised on.

Those who view children and other young adults as uneducated/inexperienced simply because they're still young (as if a life experience only matter when you're older).

Or all of the elderly who think racial equality and life-style choices that go against outdated cultural mores are bad.

There's even a logical fallacy about this very topic: Argument from Age

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Totally agree that the aged are not the absolute fountain of all things wise. There are variables.

Like a very wise old guy once said (paraphrasing): "All generalities are wrong, even this one".

The only thing that you can't take away from 'seniors' is life experience and, some in their teens may not think that matters, but they will appreciate it when they're in their 40's.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

This may sound kind of rediculous, but my grandmother, who is now crazy, will make observations that I once discounted. Since she has become senile, she would say small, really insignificant things, like tell me which relative one of my children takes after. For a while I just brushed it off as her rambling. But as my kids got a little older I realized she was right. Totally on point, even in her senility and my kids being small babies. After I realized she was not totally crazy I have tried to listen better, with full attention.

It's not really advice she gave me, but it was interesting.

Also, I wish I had recorded her many stories she told us about her life. She was a wild one- always causing a fight, making a scene, running around. Now all I have is my memory of what she told me. I guess I ought to write that down, since it's all I have.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I almost witnessed two senior women go to battle today.

A co-worker and I Had to deliver and install two 18 cubic foot refrigerators to apartments F-1 and F-3

F-1 was was told she would be first by the landlord, and F-3 was told she would be first by our insane boss.

They nearly went to fisticuffs over the whole deal, which we completed in less than an hour anyway.

We shouldn't listen to these kinds of seniors. Unfortunately, at least in what I've experienced, a lot of our seniors have received the brunt of all the things that have caused our decline in society.

All the propaganda that's been layed on thick for so long now.

It's so bad. Our diet is so messed up. So many are reliant on big pharma and the medical system.

Mainstream media, and mainstream news has gradually become more and more morally screwed.

I feel like the millennial generation who has awakened to the corruption and backwards a$$ path humanity is walking are the people we should really be taking advice from.

(Also! On a side note, on an earlier delivery, a senior citizen threatened to put some f--ing bullets(his words) in the back of our van if we hit his roof. Which there was no chance of us doing as we are experienced the ways of backing in and out of driveways)......so needless to say I'm not feeling especially peachy towards our elders today.

I know there are some awesome elders! I've met them, but that's not the point I'm trying to make with my strange poorly written rant.

edit on 18-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Edit

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

A reply to myself, yes.

On a further side note. When we were all back together at the store my friend and I brought up the subject of the man threatening to discharge firearms towards us.

Our repairman chimed in and said " I would have driven off right there!" to which I said, "I almost did"......

The 73 year old owners response, " well we can't afford to lose any more clientele and, we've already seen a decline in Customers (which is BS because we are now providers of 4k and OLED)

Well, she better provide me with a bulletproof vest and a raise then.

All this senior cares about is material and money.

Sorry if I've strayed too far away from the OP but all this stuff truly happened today and I feel it relates

So....in summation, no thank you slayer69 I will not be taking any advice from seniors, and they actually quite frighten me.

edit on 19-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Edit

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Only this morning I was observing the conversation and interaction between one of my colleagues and a tanker driver, who are both of similar age. They've known each other for quite a while but have not seen each other for a few years, maybe.

At first they were talking about pensions but after they got bored they reverted to good old banter and just went at each other for a good ten minutes, having a laugh, nothing spiteful.

They had an understanding between them that no one else in the office could keep up with because of our lack of experience. I sat the in awe, a little bit, at how fast their reactions and minds were.

I like to think that I am quite well spoken and have a good, intelligent head on my shoulders. However, my lack of life experience left me dumbfounded at how fast they could come up with their witty banter. If I were on the receiving end of it I would have been made to look a fool for not having an answer. I sat there and thought, wow their experience and the sheer amount of conversations they must have had has developed both of their vocabularies and thought processes way beyond mine at the moment.

It's quite interesting that such a thread should pop up shortly after I sat there and watched this.

We can definitely learn from our elders and we should listen to them. Unfortunately they are not very "profitable" and therefore have no place in our society nowadays. They just get pushed into some dark home somewhere and left to die, when they could be telling us so much.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wandering Scribe

I don't believe that anyone deserves to be listened to simply because they're older than me. I think those who earn my respect are more than welcome to counsel me.

There are plenty of elderly people who believe erroneous things.

For example, those who see women as inferior/unequal to men because of Biblical teachings that they were raised on.

Those who view children and other young adults as uneducated/inexperienced simply because they're still young (as if a life experience only matter when you're older).

Or all of the elderly who think racial equality and life-style choices that go against outdated cultural mores are bad.

There's even a logical fallacy about this very topic: Argument from Age

~ Wandering Scribe

hell yeah, that's true.

i don't offer advice unless i'm asked. usually i just watch them fail and scratch their heads.

live and learn, i say. nothing i tell you will stick anyway.

i love the stereo-type people want to put me in. like your biblical teachings of my generation. wow!

also, who the hell do you think rocked the boat in the early 60's? you?

i don't care about the latest iphone apps, i need a cam and a working phone.

we laugh at your "rebellion" lol, lame woodstock 2 and lalapaloozer concerts.

when we were 20 we knew everything too! lol!

FB and twitter crap? i have a FB to get in touch with old friends. twitter? no idea. don't need it.

you meatballs are standing on the shoulders of giants, like every other generation before you.

we been there and done that.

it boils down to family and respect.

do you hope you die before you get old?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
a reply to: GoShredAK

A reply to myself, yes.

On a further side note. When we were all back together at the store my friend and I brought up the subject of the man threatening to discharge firearms towards us.

Our repairman chimed in and said " I would have driven off right there!" to which I said, "I almost did"......

The 73 year old owners response, " well we can't afford to lose any more clientele and, we've already seen a decline in Customers (which is BS because we are now providers of 4k and OLED)

Well, she better provide me with a bulletproof vest and a raise then.

All this senior cares about is material and money.

Sorry if I've strayed too far away from the OP but all this stuff truly happened today and I feel it relates

So....in summation, no thank you slayer69 I will not be taking any advice from seniors, and they actually quite frighten me.

i guess you are peter pan? you won't get old?

it's mandatory, ya know.

growing up is optional.

material and money? do you have any now?

you good with giving it up in 20yrs? when the next gen wants it?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I absolutely love being around seniors. I love watching movies from the 30s and 40s. I love hearing their stories. Of course nobody is perfect that's not the point. The point is they experienced things I could not unless I had a time machine. They are the only real link to the past that you can interact with in such an interactive way! Old books and movies are great too but nothing like a back and forth dialog with a living person. I wish people could live 5x longer. What could we learn from those people that are 500-600 years old. Guess it wasn't meant to be that way.

History... catch the fever!!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ltinycdancerg

These seniors created this cluster**** of a world we live in, yet we did not ask nor did we play any part in creating it.

So, forgive me in my hesitation to listen when these 'seniors' are speaking...

Don't trust anyone over 30, unless it's Jack Weinberg

The man who coined the phrase “Don’t trust anyone over 30” turned 60 years old Tuesday.

Jack Weinberg uttered the phrase – which became one of the most memorable expressions of the turbulent 1960s era – during the height of the Free Speech Movement at UC Berkeley. The Free Speech Movement was a struggle by students over the right to engage in political speech on campus, which helped to catalyze broader political activism on campuses around the country over student rights, civil rights and the Vietnam War.

You existed then as you exist now. The older generation that existed then will be you some day - and your children will be asking you: WTF old timer?!

Unless you guys actually manage to pull a rabbit out of a hat :-)

Life is like this - and you have every right to feel discouraged - robbed - wrathful. Same as they did, same as we did right after...same as hopefully every new generation will far into the future. So much good has been done in this world by past generations - and each new generation that comes of age is doing exactly what it was meant to do - change the world. It's hard to see the positive for all the wrong that still exists

I guess if we're going to have a discussion about who messed up what and who's going to fix it, wisdom versus knowledge and all the rest of it - it would be wise to remember and acknowledge: before you there were many (and more than just one generation) who felt the way you do now. They worked very hard to make things better - they always have. Your generation will be the same mix of freedom fighters, civil rights activists, apathetic eaters (who are mostly just people trying to get by) and abusive, self interested opportunists

One generation is a blink of the eye - and tied to the one that precedes it and follows it in an endless chain - we won't see what's what about the most recent then or now until we're farther enough down the road to look back

Humanists don't need barriers or definitions or categories to be effective because they wisely recognize that we're all in this together - and that our age (ethnicity, color, gender, religion...) doesn't determine how useful we are - or aren't

:-)

"Ah, but I was so much older then - I'm younger than that now"

edit on 4/19/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

When I read what people say on ATS, especially in the WWIII and political forums, I'm constantly reminded of what Barry McGuire said in his famous 'Eve of Destruction' song when I was a teenager. I truly believed what he was saying back then, especially when Kennedy's Cuban Crisis happened and Kruschev was banging his shoe on the UN podium saying he was ready to "bury us".

It was real then and, no doubt, real to young people today.

Here's his video with the lyrics:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69Now, before we begin, I know it's just a TV advertisement commercial. If at all possible, ignore that aspect please. I think those giving advise are people we should actually listen to. In this modern world of Google and Microwave instant gratification we've seem to have lost the age old tried and true philosophy of learning from those who came before us. Their successes, failures, accomplishments and discoveries... - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I like that, truth can be found even in television car commercials. It's very hard to learn from other peoples experiences, at least for someone like me. But if you can do it, it's very valuable.

The video for me doesn't make me want to run out and buy a car but rather, started me thinking about the Seniors I've known in my life and thought of the advise they've often tried to give which more often than not was correct but wasn't at the time followed.

This is kind of funny to me, the ad completely failed in your case. Instead of making you want to buy a car it made you all contemplative and philosophical. In a roundabout way the ad men did a public service, making us all think. But it didn't make us buy cars. Hey, you win some you loose some.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join