It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should listen to our Seniors

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ltinycdancerg

Can I ask you some questions?

Is there anything you can think of that you're grateful for that was left to you/given/created by those elders? Also, if you are truly of that belief what have you done to A. improve the present situation and B. Will be leaving of benefit for those who will later follow you after you die?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ltinycdancerg
I welcome wisdom and intelligent discourse/education- HOWEVER...

It is me and my fellow 'youngsters' who are forced to suffer the consequences; lie in the dirty bed made by these such "Seniors"

These seniors created this cluster**** of a world we live in, yet we did not ask nor did we play any part in creating it.

So forgive me my hesitation when one these 'seniors' is speaking...

Wouldn't that be a point towards listening to them then?

If they created such a cluster-farge that we live in now, then do just the opposite of what they say!

As for the elderly and tech toys, apologies.

Maybe it's just me that can't figure out them tiny glass buttons on my iphone-pad-a-ma-jig!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
A basic family tradition has been lost to the sands in an hour glass. No more time exists to sit and discuss the days events, everyone is in too big of a hurry to just sit back and enjoy the fruits of their labor...

They are too busy laboring their lives away just for basic necessities.

"You can't cast a vote of confidence in todays rigged elections, how do I know they're rigged? Because there is not a ballet that contains a single no-confidence in candidate option."

I wish I could vote with confidence.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

In this day and age, an average 30 year old is just as wise as an average 90 year old- in other words- wisdom is no longer the sacred commodity it used to be.

edit on 18-4-2014 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

In this day and age, an average 30 year old is just as wise as an average 90 year old- in other words- wisdom is no longer the sacred commodity it used to be.

I'm an old fart and I totally agree with you. Technology has completely changed the information paradigm.

However there's a big difference between information and wisdom and in no way is wisdom the private domain of the elderly.

btw.....I take some of the responsibility for creating the current cluster****....I honestly hope your generation can find some solutions.
edit on 18-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

A correction.

A 30 year old may be as knowledgeable as a 90 year old, but not as wise.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

So you're saying that the average 30 year old is senile? That's hilarious.

And it also explains a lot.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The only way to change the way us old farts screwed the pooch is to take control of your own young lives and show us that you've the guts and responsibility to make a difference for the better. All I see is a lot of bluster and no firm action (like the dying winds of the Occupy Movement etcetera).

After all, there's a helluva lot more of you than there is of us. Get active.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

hmmm....prove the OP's thesis-
* For the sake of a fruitful discussion- I will play ball and temporarily shelve the issue of responsibility*
...so...
unleash some senior wisdom on me!

HOW EXACTLY do we clean up your mess?
Tell me something I don't know

edit on 18-4-2014 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

HOW EXACTLY do we clean up your mess?

The exact same way we cleaned up our parents mess. Yea, I know. That didn't work out to well, but we tried. And so will you...with pretty much the same results I bet. And then you'll be the one trying to spout your lessons learned and the young whipper snappers will be ignoring you as well.

Welcome to our world! BWHahahahaha!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I'm not of the "blame the seniors" camp but your theory intrigues me. We're all living longer and longer and birth rates are low. Some studies show lower than replacement rate.

So how does a shrinking yet loud, vocal and active youth block (18-35/40) compete in a republic with an ever growing older block (50-120)?

The AARP isnt considered one of the most powerful lobbying groups for nothing.

Lets say that all the "young" people for whatever reason conclude that cuts to Medicare and widespread pension reform are steps to fixing things. They wont simply be outshouted and outvoted by large and growing numbers of those above 50?

That's just an example. But demographics show old folks to only become more powerful as the years go on.

Maybe as those numbers increase the older groups will split. 65-80 will become a new middle aged while 80-120 becomes a new elderly and perhaps those under 50 will join with the younger people but adulthood is also shown to be retarded more and more with the term "kid" being applied to people well into their 30's these days and many not leaving home or starting families until into their 30's or later.

It'll be interesting to see how low birth rates and longer lives affect the relative perceptions of young, middle-aged, and senior as the decades progress for sure.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
my point is...

TRIBALISM IS ON ITS WAY OUT.
The younger generations worldwide are communicating- understanding- befriending- each other...thanks to technology! IOW- we ain't scurrrred of dem different lookin, different thinkin people! lol

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

A geriatrics war?

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Besides...just who the hell you calling old mr......Some of us seniors resent that remark.....

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Besides...just who the hell you calling old mr......Some of us seniors resent that remark.....

I was going to ask, what is considered senior? I live with my retired parents both over 65, but would not be happy if I called them seniors. I'm the old fart in this house

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Me and all my friends
We're all misunderstood
They say we stand for nothing and
There's no way we ever could

Now we see everything that's going wrong
With the world and those who lead it
We just feel like we don't have the means
To rise above and beat it

It's hard to beat the system
When we're standing at a distance
So we keep waiting
Waiting on the world to change

Now if we had the power
To bring our neighbors home from war
They would have never missed a Christmas
No more ribbons on their door

And when you trust your television
What you get is what you got
Cause when they own the information,
They can bend it all they want

It's not that we don't care,
We just know that the fight ain't fair
So we keep on waiting

One day our generation
Is gonna rule the population
So we keep on waiting

We keep on waiting

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

IDK Slay, this kind of puts me on the spot in the future. And I already talk to myself
constantly. I can't imagine having to actually listen to my ass at the same time.

edit on Ram41814v142014u05 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
In most cases I agree, but when it comes to politics and government I don't agree at all. Imo the baby boomer generation in the 60's was all about peace and love but It warped in the 80's to big government threw groups like the moral majority and the christian coalition.

The militarization of our police force started in the 80's with Reagan's war on drugs and the further eroding of Americas middle class with there union busting and pro elite policies. Zero tolerance with our schools and a general get tough on crime approach with there prison building industry kicking in high gear. These groups used fear and religion to stifle the rights of Americans while building industries that are affront to a free and open republic.

We see the results of there misguided fear based support of the Imperial presidency and a sold out supreme court and a dysfunctional congress. The checks and balance approach that once protected each and everyone of us is gone, sold out to special interests.

This was made possible by the largest voting block in the country, the older Americans, this is what they are leaving to the young people.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

my point is...

TRIBALISM IS ON ITS WAY OUT.
The younger generations worldwide are communicating- understanding- befriending- each other...thanks to technology! IOW- we ain't scurrrred of dem different lookin, different thinkin people! lol

Exactly right... and who provided you with those tools? What generation?

Who also fought against abusive government tactics and the 'Business of War? Who first said "Get back to nature?" and started the trend toward saving the environment? What generation fought and is still fighting for equality?

If you want to find someone who constantly has dismissed racism, dogmatism and bigotry over his lifetime, look no further, because you've found him. I've thought the same way since the 60's and all I hear about those of the same era as me is young people calling us 'Dirty Hippies'. LOL

Yeah... young people are so different from me 50 years ago... NOT.

Just don't fail like we did.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I love and respect my seniors but I shouldn't have listened when they advised me to go to college - it's not the world they grew up in. I should have realized that and listened to myself - but I wanted wise advice. No big deal - I still love 'em.
edit on 18-4-2014 by Floydshayvious because: boop.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join