It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should listen to our Seniors

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Now, before we begin, I know it's just a TV advertisement commercial. If at all possible, ignore that aspect please. I think those giving advise are people we should actually listen to. In this modern world of Google and Microwave instant gratification we've seem to have lost the age old tried and true philosophy of learning from those who came before us. Their successes, failures, accomplishments and discoveries...

Often times these people have a wealth of experience such as living through the Great Depression, World War-I, World War II etc. The video for me doesn't make me want to run out and buy a car but rather, started me thinking about the Seniors I've known in my life and thought of the advise they've often tried to give which more often than not was correct but wasn't at the time followed. As I'm now getting older their words do pop in my head from time to time and I find myself attempting to set aside ego and utilize it more freely.

Do you talk to, respect, listen and take advise from the elders in your life/town/village/community?

Some here may disagree, so be it.
edit on 18-4-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Wisdom and good advice are where you find it. But old-timers do have the advantage of experience and that we can learn from. All we have to do is get by our impatience and listen.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Listening to your seniors is a good idea. They have more wisdom than the younger people, but keep in mind that stupid people grow old too. Not every senior should be listened to because they aren't very intelligent and I feel that is something that doesn't get noticed when someone says "listen to your seniors."

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

At any given oppourtunity, I take the time to listen to what an older person has to say.

No-one listens to them anymore. They don't Tweet, logon, faceblog on the net pages, or use cells.

They are a goldmine of information and experience.

I think that is why our society is decaying so much.

The younger folks tend to listen to each other, not anyone with something critical to say.

They don't listen to the lessons learned, so they repeat the same mistakes.

The younger generations are looking for a house. The elderly are standing there with wood, hammer and nails, but it doesn't LOOK like a house, so they are ignored.

SnF my friend! An interesting topic to be sure!!!!

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

My grandparents (on both sides) were very wise people. They survived the great depression while being poor to begin with... living in the Appalachian Mountains.
They taught me at an early age how to survive off the land, cherish family, and help our neighbors.

What I learned from them will be with me for always, and there is no price I can place on it.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
when you have lived 60+ years with successes as well as mistakes, you learn what really works in those particular situations. everyone has unique experiences, and it boils down to who and what do you trust at the moment in your life. the catchy little phrase that "you make your own luck" is not even close to the truth, but it makes those that have had it, feel better about themselves. planning will only take you so far, the rest is determined by others who have not been included in that plan

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Thank you Slayer. The older I get, I see how the general wear and tear (and goodness, of course) of life can be on a body and soul. And the more I marvel at those twice my age, still going, doing... I marvel at the changes they've seen in their lifetimes, and how they've coped.

Our society does wrong by separating them from their families in nursing homes and the like. No need to flame that one, I get it's necessity, in our society. I've just seen families where the senior members are an integral part of the family... when seniors are actively engaged their experience has benefitted all parties involved.

They devoted their time and energies (yes I know not all were heroes) to help ensure the prosperity of their family. And all they seem to wish is our time and our ear. This society has not encouraged that at all, on the whole, and in my opinion.

Which is why I was somewhat shattered at the humoured replies from a video posted awhile back on a gang of youth spinning an old lady around, in the Ukraine...

The commercial you posted rocks!!

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

What a great comercial.

I always listened to my old folks, and I agree that more people should.
My grandparents and their siblings had alot to tell... they lived through economic hardship, survived worldwars, and witnessed 2 totalitarian/fascist regimes rise and fall.
I try to pass on some of the wisdom they bestowed on me and my family... but it's almost always in vain.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Their support rate of capitalism and government are far higher than my generation.(Z generation)
I can't find a "block this member "button on ATS.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: candlestick

You could try utilizing 'Self Control" and not click on the thread or to reply

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
There is this old saying: "Learn from other people's experiences, because life is too short" . You should listen to the older ones, and also, you should read auto-biography books, because in them, you can find some familiar references to what is happening in your life.

But let's go a little deeper...HISTORY. I can't explain how significant history really is. People seem not to care that much about it, because they believe they are somehow special, and that they wont make someone else's mistakes. If you believe that we are all connected, then it's reasonable to think there is a pattern in which we are all stuck in. And instead of correcting mistakes that our ancestors did, we seem more than happy to make them ourself. All great nations that once existed made the same mistake. They got greedy. And you have the same thing happening now. Did ever happened to you that you have had a friend that did something stupid, and you told yourself " I will never do that", and months later, you do the same thing? It's a bloody pattern. Learn from other people's experiences.

And when will people break this pattern which is undoubtedly leading us towards extinction?

But no. People so badly want to learn from experience. We go trough so much pain so we can learn something that someone else had already did for us.
And we don't even know...

Just something to think about.

P.S Good thread Slayer.
edit on 18-4-2014 by Nikola014 because: Grammar

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: candlestick

You could try utilizing 'Self Control" and not click on the thread or to reply

I think the self control well people in your standard must be nothing to complaint to the government .

originally posted by: Nikola014
And when will people break this pattern which is undoubtedly leading us towards extinction?

But no. People so badly want to learn from experience. We go trough so much pain so we can learn something that someone else had already did for us.
And we don't even know....

Because the script already written.
edit on 18-4-2014 by candlestick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If one has something to say or offer, sure. Listening just because they are senior? Absolutely not. Nobody should get magic "wisdom" points just because they fit a certain criteria.

I work heavily with seniors. Just like anybody else some are awesome, sharp, aware and very intelligent and others are absurd, lost, confused and ignorant. Not to mention bigoted and paranoid.

Being a thing or having done a thing doesnt grant a free pass to sageville.
edit on 18-4-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Here's some advice to you, brother:

You're well respected in this community. Grow wise. What you say matters more than you know.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Old people don't get into FB or cells?

Oh, man, I better get the Hell off ATS then.

The elders I listen to are really up there in age and you wouldn't believe how much they can advise you on. My mother-in-law, for instance, will help you pick the best players and teams to watch in either either the NHL or MLB. She's 86. My father-in-law, at 90, is nuts about golf and has a yearly membership in the local golf club. Also in the Canadian Legion, where he was pipe major with a well-known pipe band for 25 years and travelled the world. An aunt, also in her late 80's, has a memory that can recount the history of almost everyone who has lived in a town of 15,000, even the ones who passed away 70 years ago.

Then there were people I knew outside of my family, like William Commanda, who was able to relate traditional First Nations oral histories that took days to say. He was in his late 90's.

I'm heading for 68 and, compared to those folk, I feel like an idiot.
edit on 18/4/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

They don't Tweet, logon, faceblog on the net pages, or use cells.

Oh...I don't know about that. I used to be tech support for my folks, Now you can't them off of the Smart phones. They're like kids with new toys!

Maybe it's because they can't get out and about as they once used too, and are now letting the tech do the walking for them.

I can't go through one call without one of them sounding like a Apple salesman.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Some of the Seniors are very greedy and deceptive. Some are consuming the same dope that we are, believing the deception the ones in control are spewing. It is the quiet ones, ones who seem to be deep in thought that we should listen to. It is the ones that have messed up and are trying to inform others of their errors that we should listen to. Don't trust the ones who won't admit they made mistakes or are covering their mistakes up by bashing others.

Overall, many of the Seniors are worth listening to. Remember that if they repeat something the next time they see you, it may be something that they sense is important for you to know.
edit on 18-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I'm a senior working in a very youth oriented industry. The young people I associate with are some of the smartest, most ambitious, hardworking, interesting and creative people I have ever known.

From my personal perspective; old age doesn't give one special knowledge but life experience has no substitute.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain

edit on 18-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
old age doesn't give one special knowledge but life experience has no substitute.

Sounds like wisdom to me olaru12

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I welcome wisdom and intelligent discourse/education- HOWEVER...

It is me and my fellow 'youngsters' who are forced to suffer the consequences; lie in the dirty bed made by these such "Seniors"

These seniors created this cluster**** of a world we live in, yet we did not ask nor did we play any part in creating it.

So, forgive me in my hesitation to listen when these 'seniors' are speaking...

edit on 18-4-2014 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join