It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo 11 - The View of Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I don't think I have posted this video on ATS yet, which I made a couple of years ago. It's a slideshow of photos of Earth taken by Apollo 11 astronauts as their spacecraft was leaving the Earth's orbit and heading for the Moon. I used hi-res versions of the photos at the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal.

www.youtube.com...

Here's a direct link to the ALSJ page with the images: www.hq.nasa.gov...

A few of those spectacular images:

The fragile blue marble...

I hope you enjoy this!

edit on 18-4-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace
Thanks for your efforts.

How small we are never ceases to amaze me.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Very cool.

I've done something similar with Apollo 11, but I kept the size of the Earth constant

I also did some others

Apollo 11 on the way home again:

Apollo 13:

Apollo 17:

No spooky music tho

edit on 18-4-2014 by onebigmonkey because: Wrong link for Apollo 17

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Thanks also for those images. Kind of puts things in perspective.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Very nice...

Go to 1:22, the white thing on the right, looks almost the same shape as the "black knight" satellite.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: researcher88
Very nice...

Go to 1:22, the white thing on the right, looks almost the same shape as the "black knight" satellite.

How would you know what shape the alleged "black knight" satellite has? And why is this object white?

Here's the high-res version of the image: www.hq.nasa.gov...

I'll ask peeps at ALSJ what this object could be. But giving the fact that this photo was taken during, or shortly after Saturn rocket's 3rd stage separation and the "Transposition and Docking" maneuver, it's very likely to be soem discarded part of the rocket/spacecraft assembly. It could be one of the SLA panels. They did report seeing some panel floating by: history.nasa.gov... Seeing how it's out of focus, it must be quite close to the Command Module.

Just after taking this photo (along with a few more Earth shots), they took these three photos of the Saturn's 3rd stage nearby:
www.hq.nasa.gov...
www.hq.nasa.gov...
www.hq.nasa.gov...
So there was definitely some stuff floating around.

From the audio transcript:

003:22:25 Collins (onboard): I'm still quite a ways. That's definitely an SLA panel - there's no doubt about that. Sure looks like... panel. That stuff's hitting from the S-IVB from us. Geeze, look it - that one thing just hit the - gyro package on the S-band antenna.

003:22:46 Aldrin (onboard): Yes, things occasionally come scooting out.

003:22:52 Collins (onboard): ...

003:22:53 Aldrin (onboard): And, occasionally, you know, a little piece of something hits the - what do you call that - covering? The whole LM quivers every so often. All - all the surface of it, Neil, you know, just kind of shakes like that.

... Or it could be simply an image artifact, such as caused by damaged emulsion.
edit on 18-4-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It was just my observation, I put out it our there for further comment, it could be anything.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Actually, there is another thingy on your last post as well, exactly 12o clock, the high res, don't know what that is either, but I find it interesting, due to the blue at the bottom.
If we consider that I wouldn't know what the shape of the "alleged black knight" was and we zoom in digitally, it seems to have shadows, could it then be a 3d object, i.e. it has depth. Reason for white, perhaps its just reflecting light or there was a fault in the capture of the shot.
The moment and camera puts that into perspective automatically with the background, hence the same reason why you wouldn't see stars on any space photos from being in space.

But hey, I'm no camera expert but I love to find things, perhaps some camera shot scrutineers will come to your thread?
cheers, and all the best.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: researcher88

Here is a photograph from just a few frames before the one in question: www.hq.nasa.gov...

There are bright white bits and pieces floating about all over the place from the separation.

Regarding frame 5319:

The white object near the right edge of the photo is one of hundreds of pieces of space junk associated with the disconnection of the Apollo spacecraft from the Saturn V rocket and the removal of the Lunar Module from the Saturn's S-IVB stage. The free-floating object is out of focus, indicating it is within three-meters of the camera's lens. This photo was taken with A handheld Hasselblad camera, using SO-368 colour 70mm film.

www.apollomissionphotos.com...

Thumbs up for the OP, by the way. Beautiful images

edit on 27-4-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

I'm not so sure about their explanation.

There is a video clip of the transposition and docking done by Buzz using the 16mm camera. The very first frame is a shot of Earth. Apart from it only being a quarter Earth rather than the half Earth shown in the photo, if you look at the cloud patterns on it you can see that quite some time has elapsed since the transposition.

It is entirely possible that it is debris and the extra clouds are just from a different viewing angle, but my gut reaction is still a fault on the negative.

Interestingly the only version without the 'blemish' is on the Apollo Image Atlas site, where it is obvious that it has been coloured in - either by marker pen before scanning or digitally afterwards.

edit on 28-4-2014 by onebigmonkey because: extra explanation

edit on 28-4-2014 by onebigmonkey because: 'without', not 'with'

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: onebigmonkey

Thanks for the info. I must admit I thought it was a bit odd that there was no other debris from the separation floating about in those frames.

But I am not convinced about it being on the negative. Wouldn't a blemish on the negative itself appear to be "in focus" when scanned? This white object has fuzzy edges which to me suggests that it is a real, out-of-focus object — a rather small and very brightly lit object close to the camera. But I could be wrong of course...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

Here's the reply from Eric Jones of the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal:

It’s something that was sitting on the film or the scanner when the film was being scanned. Maybe a bit of lint? Dandruff?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Thanks for that. That's quite some piece of dandruff!

new topics

top topics

join