It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make any plane a robot.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I did a search on this and I couldnt find anything, so sorry if this has been posted. Here it goes.

Boeing has been working on software that will fly combat airplanes in volital situations. It has been tested in a few different types of combat aircraft, and is kicking some major arse in effeciency. Can anyone say Teledyne?

Here is a quote from the article with a link following.

The system, however, is sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency through the Air Force Research Laboratory. It appears to be an improvement on the Dragon Eye, an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that the U.S. Marine Corps has said is now being used in Iraq.

According to the MIT research team, a plane outfitted with the new software acts like an unmanned wingman within a fighter plane squadron. A piloted aircraft flying at a higher altitude outside of a suspected danger zone controls the companion robot plane.

dsc.discovery.com...

This system can basically turn any combat aircraft into a UAV. Can you imagine sitting at a desk playing what looks like "Ace Combat 5" except the plane your flying is real, and the bogies your blowing out of the sky are real as well?!
With tech like this, it wont be long before our soldiers are sitting in a huge warehouse somewhere with thousands of computer banks all connected to thousands of fighting vehicles 2000 miles away. Talk about you Nentindo generation

[edit on 27-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I thought that system had been developed in the 1970s.

Silly me. Guess I should research "remote control flying" again, eh?

I seem to remember toy airplanes doing that when I was a kid.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yeah, they did, but you couldnt fly them from 2000 miles away, and fire a salvo of sidewinders at that time
This also is not a single plane system. It is designed to be outfitted especially for combat planes. Think about it. would you rather fly a predetar UAV, or an F18 UAV? Ill take the F18
Before this software was avalible, you had to design the plane around the system. Now you can modify the system to fit the plane. I guess that is where the real innovation comes in at.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So now they can fly all the airplanes they want, into buildings and blame it on somebody else!!

Groovy. Like we need that like a hole in the head.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, at least they are actually telling us about this technology for once. I myself am kind of glad this stuff will be able to pull our soldiers out of the line of fire when it becomes mainstream. I know this softwares ultimate goal is to take lives, but at least it has a chance at saving the lives of our soldiers.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Emily, I agree war sucks, but just compare war now to war say 60 years ago, there is no death lists that number in the 10,000s just from carpet bombing alone, why because we have precision weapons that make carpet bombing undesirable both from a military perspective and a PR perspective. Heck UAV Technology could give civilian agencies(like Rueters, United Press etc) the weapon to actually document a conflict without having reporters in bed ehem embedded with the military.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Of course not.

If our Gummint cared about our soldiers, the problems with DU and defective vaccines would not be so pervasive.

Contractors would not be serving spoiled and rotting food to our soldiers and profitting off doing so. Halliburton, remember last summer?

I wish I could >FEEL< that this Gummint cares about our soldiers.

But I don't, as you know.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Well since we don't share the same gov't "your" gummt likes to do alot of things that don't seem to impress alot of people around the world(myself included) please get that straight please
No offence intended. Just trying to think outside the box
I also know full well how your(and mine but only in the context of vaccines and the use of DU munitions) gov't treats its soldiers although the only good thing you can say about my gov't is that they don't launch wars on false pretenses, as I said above I know that DU munitions are used pretty routinely and I know some people in the Cnd Infantry and they swear that it is way more safe then lead munitions. I'm doing research now but its been so politiced to death I fear I may never know the true answer...

new topics

top topics

join