It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is Invisible in space!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I can't believe I followed all 4 pages of this. Granted,there is a lot we don't understand about light/EM, but I am fascinated with peoples understanding of what is so easily provable and known. This isn't some grey area theoretical physics.

Fact: Light travels in a perfect vacuum very well. We have man-made vacuums here on earth to test that.

Fact: Pictures of the sun are readily available having been taken from space.

Fact: If the pictures of the sun weren't in the visible spectrum, you wouldn't see anything in the picture. It is not like IR cameras where digital image processing converts it to a visible spectrum. These are direct photos.

Fact: The sun is not invisible at the visible spectrum when viewed from space. Ask an astronaut if you are just not convinced.
edit on 18-4-2014 by Halfswede because: spacing

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

lol..
edit on 18-4-2014 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: aynock

originally posted by: GallopingFish
Apparently the sun cannot be seen by the visible spectrum in space!!

Light cannot be seen unless it's bouncing off objects or particles.

your eye/brain seeing mechanism is activated by photons striking receptors in the eye and sending a signal to the brain - the light doesn't need to have bounced off something first

go into dark room and shine a torch in your face - can you see it? what's it bouncing off?

The reflector inside the flashlight!

Firepiston

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48
a reply to: rickymouse

Could you explain what you mean by "surface tension" in this context?

It is an energy field with both attractive or repulsive properties, dependent on what it is interacting with. When you put a pane of glass in a window, it reflects most of the heat back that hits it. The glass does not have hardly any R value, but there is a surface tension on the glass that builds up and repels the energy back into the room giving it an R value of 1. Now this field is an energy field, the heat does not really touch the glass unless it is very hot and overcomes this field. The same with your reflection in the mirror. The reflective back creates a high surface tension on the outside of the glass and this energy barrier reflects the light spectrums that hit it back to us. The higher the energy delivered to the mirror, the more it reflects until it is overloaded and shatters the glass.

They used to call this energy field surface tension long ago. It also applies to liquids...they also have reflective properties if the tension is high. Our heat ducts in homes operate on this principal also, reflecting the heat.

The energy in high powered lines travels outside of the lines. This is how they can push so much energy through a small line, if they lowered the voltage, the energy would go into the wire and the wire would melt.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede
I can't believe I followed all 4 pages of this. Granted,there is a lot we don't understand about light/EM, but I am fascinated with peoples understanding of what is so easily provable and known. This isn't some grey area theoretical physics.

I agree. If nothing else, this thread has been a fascinating insight into the muddled worldview inside some people's heads.

I certainly understand more clearly now why so many people fall for YouTube hoaxes and ridiculous conspiracy theories: they just don't have the foggiest notion of how the universe works!

edit on 18-4-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: GallopingFish
I can only agree with this guy when he is attempting to demonstrate that you cannot see the actual beam between the source and the object that the light strikes, a lot of people might even disagree with that but he is right on that point, you only would see the light beam because of air and particles, he does say you can see the light of the sun when looking at it though so he did not say you can't see the sun from earth, but the part about the sun not being visible does not seem to make sense, but lets think about in outer space, which is supposed to be a vaccuum , but that does not mean there are not free floating particles that can also reflect light, it seems he is using a very small amount of scientific foundation on the part about the beam itself which he calls lines LOL, but yet his other statements of being able to see through the sun are not proven at least as far as I know.

He says light is not transmitted in the visible spectrum in outer space, but he somehow applies this to the sun itself saying it is not visible ?????? how can he be seen on camera making these statements...

Who are these astronauts they called up ? LOL

Fact ? or quack?

edit on 18-4-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This thread has been a bizarre parade of weird concepts, scientific illiteracy, and people's inability to grasp the basics while turning out their own elaborate theories. Fun!

The school might have been boring and difficult, and many things heard there may have been forgotten, but there is a wealth of information on the Internet, catering to even the most basic levels of understanding, so there's no excuse not to check it out if you're curious about physics and the universe.

Wikipedia is as good a place to start as any: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
This thread has been a bizarre parade of weird concepts, scientific illiteracy, and people's inability to grasp the basics while turning out their own elaborate theories. Fun!

The school might have been boring and difficult, and many things heard there may have been forgotten, but there is a wealth of information on the Internet, catering to even the most basic levels of understanding, so there's no excuse not to check it out if you're curious about physics and the universe.

Wikipedia is as good a place to start as any: en.wikipedia.org...

sure you can use the official source, but we are here on conspiracy site, they lie, remember

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

If you shine a torch right in my eye I will see the light filament which is matter. In fact any earth created light will have matter in it or creating it.

No.. No no..

In this example, you don't see the "filament" (well, unless you have really good eyes). What you're "seeing" are the photons (ie: light) which are travelling away from the filament and entering your eyeball and subsequently exciting the light sensitive areas (rods and cones) of your eyes which in turn send electrical signals to your brain.

Is this now the level of ATS? I thought this place was about UFOs and conspiracy theories - not elementary high school science...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ok...Ill say it. "Trolling". And it seems to have worked and got a lot of us talking....unless of course the OP REALLY believes this is true.
Then I fear for our society's future....and his.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yes, the sun will indeed become invisible, if you stare at it long enough.
as will everything else. so DO NOT try this at home, or even at someone else's home.
There aren't enough seeing-eye dogs to go around.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Thanks for sticking up for me, I haven't seen so many school related insults in a while lol

Im not agreeing with what these videos say, but could people try to open their minds to the concept just a little.

A photon has no mass

If photons exit the sun at a wave length invisible to the human eye, and only by striking matter does the wave length then become visible to the human eye.

The sun is still there but without a filter or matter for photons to reflect off it cannot be seen.

Im horrible at trying to explain the idea but I do understand it.

Does anyone kind of understand this?

And did I mention im horrible at explaining the idea

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Also the sun on the inside is not combusting away like science says.

For the idea to work.

Its more like a giant electromagnetic ball or something.

photons are electromagnetic radiation waves

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

...If photons exit the sun at a wave length invisible to the human eye, and only by striking matter does the wave length then become visible to the human eye...

Photons do NOT exit the sun at a wavelength invisible to the naked eye. That's your first error. Sunlight carries the visible light spectrum, which the eye can in fact see.

Of course, the eye can't "see" photons of light until those photon comes in contact with the light receptors in the eye -- but then all you are basically saying is that "we can't see sunlight until we see it".

It is well understood that photons of light passing through a vacuum are not visible; the light is not "glowing" or anything. That's why space looks black. There is sunlight in space (in our solar system), but that sunlight in the vacuum of space needs to reflect off of something to be reflected into our eyes. That's not the same as saying the sun is invisible, because if we actually put our eyes in the path of that sunlight (i.e., look at the source of that sunlight -- the sun) we would see that light, because that light would be striking our eyes directly.

...and you are right that we won't see sunlight until it strikes our eyes, but that is so obvious a statement that I'm not sure what that statement proves.

edit on 4/18/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

a reply to: spacedoubt

Also the sun on the inside is not combusting away like science says.

For the idea to work.

Its more like a giant electromagnetic ball or something.

photons are electromagnetic radiation waves

Science does NOT say the sun is combusting. Science has been saying for a long, long time that the Sun works by nuclear fusion, not combustion.

I think I read somewhere that if the hydrogen in the Sun was burned (combusted), the Sun would only last a few thousand years before running out of hydrogen and burning itself out. Obviously the Sun has been around for more than a few thousand years, so it isn't "burning" hydrogen through combustion.

The fusion process uses much less of the hydrogen to create much more energy. Considering the fact that it uses relatively little hydrogen to produce relatively vast amount of energy, that hydrogen fuel will last billions of years rather than the thousands if it was burned through combustion.

edit on 4/18/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: Phage

Apparently the sun cannot be seen by the visible spectrum in space!!
That's stupid.

And this next video goes on to say that the sun is not a raging ball of nuclear energy but something else.
Ditto.

Second that motion i actually thought it was a joke but hes serious. Its times like these i have concerns for Humanity.

Concerns for humanity because someone believes something different than you? That's a little bit of a condescending attitude don't you think? There are plenty of real reasons to be concerned for humanity without having to resort to fake charades of a reason designed to imply your superiority over others who may think differently than you about something which we know very little about. Nobody has been inside the sun and very few people as a percentage of humanity have been in outer space so the topic of the sun is still very much open to different ideas and theories as to nearly every aspect of it.

And to all you flashlight people..not saying I believe this guy but I am open to new ideas (if I haven't seen it, then it's new to me) and I am fully able to entertain a thought without aaccepting it as undeniable fact, so... I could be a total snobbish jerk and go on about how awfully concerned I am about humanity because there is Plenty of matter for the light to come into contact with before it reaches your inside of your eyeball...

...like the filament, the glass bulb, and all the oxygen, nitrogen and other molecules that make up the air we breathe, not to mention dust. But I don't need to resort to such cheap, immature tactics designed to ridicule others in order to feel superior. I don't need that extra boost to feel better about myself and convince myself that my life has value and meaning. I'm fully comfortable seeing myself as "merely" equal to others.

We are all capable of making mistakes, and having different beliefs, and furthermore, being that it's impossible for anybody to absorb all the existing information, let alone remember it all, and the fact that as humans we have a finite amount of time to spend learning, we all by happenstance will each happen to come across our own unique sets of information. One person may know a

lot about certain topics but may have spent virtually no time on other topics. Some people may see this as cause for concern for nothing less than humanity itself (or at least pretend to in a way designed to ridicule others and imply superiority over them) but I tend to see it as not only normal but the only possible way things could be. In fact if everyone had come across only the same information, that would indeed be cause for concern since the human mind as we currently understand and are able to utilize it can only contain and recall at will a pretty small amount of information when you consider how much there is available to us. We need to all have our own unique "fingerprint" of knowledge so we can have brain surgeons, musicians, astrophysicists, and other experts. In other words we all need to count on each other and learn to work together as separate components of a team if we are to get anywhere with anything.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Unfortunately lots of academic types use any gap in knowledge to discount common sense.

Eg.... For some academics the moon was not there / real / until some of it was brought back to analyze. Not joking.
edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk
a reply to: GallopingFish

What do you think the light from the sun is "bouncing" off when you see it?

well like I said before I'm not saying I believe this guy but if you mean seeing the sun from Earth then the light is reflected off our atmosphere which unlike space is full of moisture, oxygen, nitrogen and other molecukes. I'm pretty sure you can see the sun in space... but I've never been there so i have to take someone else's word for it and take someone's word for it that pictures are real. I am however more open to the idea that perhaps the sun isn't made of what we thought or/and doesn't work the way we thought

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Another thought.....

I think evolution has done a great job to date of letting us see immediate dangers. The Sun would be quite dangerous if you could not locate it directly, but instead only see its reflection.

Or if you are religiously inclined ..... God..... " I just spent a day making the eye, good work if I do say so myself " .... And he "forgot" to let it see the one thing that will destroy it in minutes ?

My point being. Even if the OP theory had been right. It would have been corrected.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Sorry nuclear fusion not cumbustion.

In the Vids provided (2nd one) he mentions that only the Photosphere is visible and all nuclear fusion is made outside of the sun not inside...

Under this photosphere (visible piece) is this electromagnetic ball or something...

I dont know, and infact any guesses are speculation. Unless you can go inside the sun

Cross cuts of the sun in Science class are speculation....

Can you tell me that thats at least true?? We are guessing on what is happening under the Photosphere.

I'm OPEN minded. People have got to try harder to understand something in a different manner before labeling it as something that fits in conventional thinking and then moving on.

You're all intelligent people.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join