Google Loon...it it does have a base in Nevada

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac
All three Loons seem to be at a low altitude. Maybe this is a bug in the flightradar24 system.

I am sure it said about 600 ft. when I first looked. Now it is telling me 63,535 ft.
Winds from the north in the area, so looks like it is headed south again.
edit on 9-5-2014 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
There is something going on with flightradar24 when you run it "unfiltered" versus "filtered", where filtered means looking for certain callsigns. At the moment, our Canadian Loon no longer has a callsign, but it still has the spoofed mode-s code of 700020. It is at a high altitude.

This is one of the reasons I suggest people send their $10 off to ebay and get a DVB-T dongle, then have their own mode-s receiver. You never know what these internet websites do to "enhance" the data.

Loon with no callsign and no filtering

BTW, Loon is a coin of sorts in Canada, eh?
edit on 10-5-2014 by gariac because: added image

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

There is something going on with flightradar24 when you run it "unfiltered" versus "filtered", where filtered means looking for certain callsigns. At the moment, our Canadian Loon no longer has a callsign, but it still has the spoofed mode-s code of 700020. It is at a high altitude.

This is one of the reasons I suggest people send their $10 off to ebay and get a DVB-T dongle, then have their own mode-s receiver. You never know what these internet websites do to "enhance" the data.

Loon with no callsign and no filtering

BTW, Loon is a coin of sorts in Canada, eh?

DVB-T dongle? That's a terrestrial digital TV device, I never realized it could be used as a mode-s receiver! Does it require a substantial antenna to get range? And software?

Coin of sorts? It is our $1 coin, we've had for over 20 years now. There originally was a picture of a loon on them, ergo "loonie". I was swearing when I was in the US recently, with this big lump of $1 bills. We have a $2 coin as well, although there are far more $1 coins in circulation.
edit on 10-5-2014 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

For mode-s receptions, you need the dongle and free software. For the dongle, you search ebay for "RTL2832U R820T". This was where I got started.
$10 ADS-B receiver
Virtual Radar Server
Virtual Radar server set up
rtlsdr on the Raspberry Pi

I'm running the decoder on a cheap arm single board computer, with the idea that I can put the computer in a remote location and feed the data to my desktop. Right now the Arm computer is on my desk.
ads-b on Beaglebone Black

The website on the Raspberry Pi has good ideas, but I wouldn't use the Raspberry Pi. It is just barely capable of the task. The Beaglebone Black can run a few of these dongles.

Now you can get started with just the dongle and a computer. I ran one in Tonopah and got hits over Fallon, so with just the stock antenna, I got about 140 miles. It all depends on terrain and the altitude of the plane. With nothing in the way, the aircraft transponder will obey the radar horizon where the distance in statute miles equals 1.4*square_root(altitude in feet).

I'm running it on linux, but there websites on how to run it on windows.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: FosterVS

All three Loons seem to be at a low altitude. Maybe this is a bug in the flightradar24 system.

I am sure it said about 600 ft. when I first looked. Now it is telling me 63,535 ft.
Winds from the north in the area, so looks like it is headed south again.

According to Flightradar24, it is almost over metro Calgary, probably the highest traffic international airport in western Canada, other than maybe Vancouver.

I notice even unfiltered, it shows at 656 ft.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

HBAL189 over Calgary

Callsign is back and altitude looks correct.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join