It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: US military ‘significantly superior’ to Russia’s

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

"accept the offer of peace that Japan had been offering the whole summer before we dropped the bombs."

Do u like too make up History,,too suit your naked, lies?

"Japan invaded Manchuria in 1931 and parts of China in 1937 (the Second Sino-Japanese War). Hirohito never really objected to the Japanese invasion of China."

"During the invasion of Wuhan, from August to October 1938, the Emperor authorized the use of toxic gas on 375 separate occasions,despite the resolution adopted by the League of Nations on May 14 condemning Japanese use of toxic gas."

"On September 27, 1940, ostensibly under Hirohito's leadership, Japan formed Tripartite Pact with Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy, forming the Axis Powers."

"However, in his first ever press conference given in Tokyo in 1975, when he was asked what he thought of the bombing of Hiroshima, the Emperor answered: "It's very regrettable that nuclear bombs were dropped and I feel sorry for the citizens of Hiroshima but it couldn't be helped because that happened in wartime."

"In early 1945, in the wake of the losses in Battle of Leyte, Emperor Hirohito began a series of individual meetings with senior government officials to consider the progress of the war. All but ex-Prime Minister Fumimaro Konoe advised continuing the war."

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Vovin
I do not see where he is wrong, when I was in the U.S. Army back in the eighties and early 90's stationed in Europe when the Warsaw Pact was the biggest threat and subsequently the Berlin wall came tumbling down, many things were exposed about the Russians that the average person did not know, some things possibly, also they had more in numbers in a lot of areas (tanks, artillery pieces etc ) however, their equipment was very old and outdated and would have proven more of a liability to them than an asset.

We also know that the war in Afghanistan completely wrecked their economy.

Our biggest advantage at that time was the development of solid rocket fuel making our missiles much smaller and easier to maintain, I just can't see since that time and the economic collapse they went through since, that their military has suddenly even caught up to ours, you figure it's been 25 years since then and at least 10-15 of those were rebuilding their very much weakened economy, I just do not see how they could be superior or anywhere near as close to our military power.

Another thing is the U.S. often has to loan equipment to the Russians and also other nations when they are having joint military exercises, once again it astounds me how many people hate Obama so much that it actually clouds their reality of our own powers, it just simply does not make sense the amount of doubt that exists from the fact they just do not like the president, at least give our military the credit they deserve, after all a lot of your tax dollars have been funding the war machine and I think the spear still has the sharpest point and is yet unequaled by any military force on the planet right now or in the immediate future.

Russian Military Weakness Exposed

Lets not forget, when the president is speaking he is also backing it up with potential NATO support in any large scale conflict which easily trumps anything the Russians have, they have no such alliances that come even close, China and Russia are not allied in such existing agreements so we have to discount their assured involvement, Russia will be on their own for the most part.

Article from Pravda on the imbalance and U.S. Nato overwhelming power

edit on 18-4-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Are you or have you ever been in the military? Not tryin to be a douche, I really wanna know. If so, unit and mos/ job.
11b 2BCT 10th Mtn Div
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
200Plus:

Hearts and minds are not something you win they are something you aim at.

If I was Putin and under attack by America, I would make damn sure that the people in America experienced the war at first hand by attacking the cities. The American people would no longer be able to witness war simply on the TV safe and secure many thousands of miles away. This is what the American people need to experience up close and personal, just like the Vietnamese, just like the Koreans, just like the Iraqis. Only then will the current American population come to understand the pain of the death and destruction their military has brought to other sovereign countries simply to fulfil the hegemonic ambitions of its government's policies.

Truer words have never been spoken.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Wait a second people we are being taken for fools

We have been here before but last time it was all about about the Iranian straights being blocked by Iran so when did that fall from the news and why.

Today it's Russia but behind all this is oil or more precise the price of oil so given that all three benefit by pretending we are all about to go to war then could it be just an excuse to sell the public a reason why filling up the tank should cost twice as much as last year.

This is yet another excuse to put taxes up and say its all needed for building up our military forces so yet more money can be siphoned off.

Think about it if it was MAD in the 1960's when they didn't even have computers then what would it be today ?

of course you don't know if I am right, nor do I but then again it does seem logical when you think about it and the hot air coming out of Obama's mouth today won't exactly do much apart from pumping oil prices up even more.

You cannot keep playing the same card twice Mr Obama and Putin so lets see some action before my point of view becomes more main stream.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpy
a reply to: crazyewok

You know, If I was the one calling the shots I would not even try to invade/occupy Russia/China. I would just put our weapons to the test. I would level weak/small countries like Syria and North Korea. To get their attention, and then go after all of Russia/China's small allies and let them know that there is nowhere to run. If you go to ground then we take that ground from you.

Sure they may be able to slip a few nukes through our defensive capabilities, so what the U.S. is big enough to handle a few nukes. Meanwhile we start laying waste to all of Moscow and Beijing and all the other big cities and then demand a surrender with the notion that the weak shall perish.

Basically the U.S. has the tech to rule the world hands down, might as well get it over with that way we can have peace under the gun of course. After all, were humans, were a warrior race, why fight it lets embrace it. If we do, sure billions will die but at least we can move forward and progress through the universe after.

Just imagine how much stronger we will be when we rise from the ashes.

I will gladly take whatever comes my way for posting this but you sir are an idiot.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
There is one area where Russia seems too be ahead,,survivability, of its people, in the event of,, "The Event"

"Metro-2 in Moscow, Russia, is the informal name for a purported secret underground metro system which parallels the public Moscow Metro. The system was supposedly built, or at least started, during the time of Joseph Stalin and was codenamed D-6 by the KGB. It is supposedly still operated by the Main Directorate of Special Programmes (ru) and Ministry of Defence."

Map of the Metro-2 system as supposed by the United States military intelligence.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: benrl
I studied the Art of War as well, but I also know the U.S. military capabilities, I have to differ with you on the point you are trying to make , Sun Tzu's strategy is not applicable here, the U.S. is more than able to back up the rhetoric.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Interesting, but this is 60's era bunkers, you have to remember that even Saddam in the 90's had much deeper and more modern systems of underground escape, that was mitigated by bunker busters and low yield nukes, nice try though.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
The United States hasn't fought a real enemy in decades. Beating up on 3rd world militaries and goat herders with AKs' and IED's is nothing. Russia actually has one of the most sophisticated miiltaries in the world. Of course it's not at the level or on the same scale as the US as they spend probably 1/6 of what we do per year on their military. Can we say MiGs, S400s, P-800 anti ship missiles? Obama and Biden are a disgrace and so are any Americans that are supporting this current administration. If send troops to Ukraine and engage Russia it will be a bloody war that America has no stomach for. The Russians are tough people and will be fighting to protect their homeland, economy, etc. What will the US troops be fighting for? Another government overthrow?

I so agree with this. Also remember something, whoever tried to mess up with russians has failed badly. Just refer to the history. Napoleon, Germany (twice) and Hitler... Russians are very tough people and great fighters, especially when they think are fighting for their homeland and or the right thing. So bullying to russians with a rhetoric about the military might is just pointless and borderline ridiculous. Obama needs a history lesson.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I see that went over every ones heads.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
Will comment on this...

People always throw out nonsense like, America lost this war or that war...

Take Korea... 36,516 dead USA, South Korea 58,127- North Korea 215,000, China 400,000

Roughly a 5 or 6 to one ratio

It's the same in every war or worse Take Iraq (2003) Usa losses 174, Iraq? as high as 45,000

People act as if we are going to exterminate the population or land hold the places we fight or start WW3... that's not what these Wars are about, they are economic, trade based, many things...even down to the showing off the weapons systems we have for sale honestly.... but we never lost anything really ever...

How can the word "loose" even be applied when we sailed the freaking heck around the world on boats went to someone else's country on a different continent, landed men, got planes over, supplied them then kicked the living daylights out of them in in battles ranging from a 6-1 kill ratio to, 120-1 kill ratio more recently? And then the enemy didn't get to fire a shot at your territory EVER... I mean seriously was the goal of any of these wars ever to... I dunno Ghengis Kahn the crud out of the people we fought, kill the men off rape the women destroy the culture and make it a new State? If so then we lost... lol, but otherwise we have sailed places and B slapped everyone we ever had a conflict with...
THAT would NOT be the case with Russia.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

So you believe doing the same thing over and over again is the correct course of action for mankind. The very definition of that is insanity.

History has proven to repeat itself. Mankind has been stuck in this loop of insanity. If choosing a way that leaves a bad taste in ones mouth then maybe that is what needs to be done in order to break free of our cycle.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: criticalhit
--
Yup, you nailed it. Star for you.

Peoples ignorance on WAR tend to always be off the numbers...because truth is, it boils down to the numbers.

Russia, along with a few other countries ONLY respond to force, which is so unfortunate.

We are a Global power, we have to ensure are interest are protected.
It's really that simple. Don't like it? do something about it.
You're protecting the interests of the rich, not the interests of citizens. That's just something that they've led people to believe. Remember, rich men's kids don't go to war and they don't give a crap about you. Gotta admit though, they did pretty good with you. The perfect soldier. And before you pop off something to the effect that I know nothing about the military, that would be a negative, sir. My family has been military from WW2 up to right now.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Davian

originally posted by: DarknStormy

originally posted by: 4TheHighCyde20
Well, he's not wrong. US conventional forces are drastically superior to the Russians. This isn't even an opinion, it's fact. They're still operating 1980's Soviet tech. Putin is trying to modernize his military, but as he does so are the Americans.

Doesn't matter, 20,000 nuclear warheads is enough to bring any world to it's knees and Russia has that ability regardless of how old their tech is.

How do you get 20,000 out of 1,800 (8,500 of which 6,700 are defunct)? Just wondering.

Anyone spot the mistake on the graphics?

The 1945 date of first test should have the Canadian & British flag alongside the US flag.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Wasting a lot of resources on toys destroying the middle class is not needed for Russia. US cannot win a war with Russia since the nuclear option is always there. This is just nationalistic bull#ting to keep the citizens proud of being Americans so they do not go after the government for it's corrupt nature and sellout to corporate facism.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: phinubian
a reply to: BobAthome

Interesting, but this is 60's era bunkers, you have to remember that even Saddam in the 90's had much deeper and more modern systems of underground escape, that was mitigated by bunker busters and low yield nukes, nice try though.

They call them "Bunker Busters" for a reason...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

originally posted by: beezzer
I just wanted to add, it is Bush's military. Not Obama's.

Obama just inherited it.

This doesn't make any sense at all.

originally posted by: spurgeonatorsrevenge
He is preemptively saying war is not going to be an option, he is not giving Putin the ability to set the terms by defining them first.

This doesn't make any sense either.

I think I'll rather dedicate myself to more Eggnog... this is one of those weird threads.

Why doesn't it make sense?

If you are worried that your opponent is going to initiate a gun dual, declare a game of chess which will take attention away from the notion of using guns.

Makes sense to me

Enjoy the Nog

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
This is what worries me: Putin= Former KGB
Obama= Former Professor

I don't think it matters how superior our military is compared to Russia's. It's the strategy to outsmart the opponent. Putin keeps us guessing on what he's going to do next.
You mean O= Former community organizer

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

Wasting a lot of resources on toys destroying the middle class is not needed for Russia. US cannot win a war with Russia since the nuclear option is always there. This is just nationalistic bull#ting to keep the citizens proud of being Americans so they do not go after the government for it's corrupt nature and sellout to corporate facism.

The U.S. Has neither any desire nor any interest in occupying Mother Russia whatsoever, you can have it all...
edit on 18-4-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join