It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: US military ‘significantly superior’ to Russia’s

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: riffraff

remember "shock and awe"? What a letdown that was.

Uhhh ... yeah. Russian technology was unable to compete during Desert Storm. It was slaughter.

Seeing the aftermath of a sabot round punching through a berm and the tank hiding behind it ... turning the occupants of that vehicle into jelly and spraying them out through the exit hole.

The Russians don't want none of that going on in their back yard.

The old adage of never fighting a land battle on the continent of Asia ... probably doesn't apply in the 21st century.

The problem with both of these knuckleheads is that either one of them might just be dumb/arrogant enough to start something they haven't got the wits to de-escalate.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct
a reply to: Vovin

if you consider the United States a superpower then there is only one superpower. If you consider Russia a superpower then there is a few super powers but the United States would not be in that category. The United States is on a totally different level there is no rival for the United States they're the most powerful country in the world and nobody not one country comes even close to the power of the United States.

Maybe you should try reading up on writings by American geostrategists, because they seem to think differently.

Superpower is a term based on geopolitical power. It describes a nationstate that has a defensive military capability that ensures that it can never be successfully invaded by another country- or more precisely, countries that are capable of ensuring MAD. There's only three such countries on the global scale: Russia, China, USA. There are also regional superpowers, like Israel in relation to the Middle East.

What you're thinking of is that the USA is a global empire. It's a different concept.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Our military can beat their military up

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit

And Braveheart should be watched by every American child.

Sorry let me catch my breath

Your High school history education is already shocking! And you want to show them a Mel Gibson film as fact, even worse the most historical inaccurate Mel Gibson (and his films are already laughably inaccurate as it is!) film he ever made! If anything Brave Heart and the Patriot should be banned unless you have a BA in History so can decipher the BS in them!

By claiming Brave heart should be compulsory viewing you have just invalidated every point you will ever make past, present of future. You could say the sky is blue and I wouldn't believe you!

What next get you European history from game of thrones?

edit on 21-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

And for the record old boy, only insecure foolish people hold on to past grievances committed hundreds of years ago and use them against present day people who guilty ancestors are long dead.

If we all had that attitude we should all hate everyone!

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

...And Braveheart should be watched by every American child.

Ha, ha, ha...wha? Why, exactly? Are you a movie critic, or is that relevant to the discussion somehow?

An enjoyable movie, to be sure. But the historical inaccuracies from the movie are legendary. And many.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas

Ha, ha, ha...wha? Why, exactly? Are you a movie critic, or is that relevant to the discussion somehow?

An enjoyable movie, to be sure. But the historical inaccuracies from the movie are legendary. And many.

Pssst I think he may be Mel Gibson

edit on 21-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Leonidas

Pssst I think he may be Mel Gibson

I didn't hear any racial slurs, so I doubt it, lol.

BTW, I love sitting back and watching the evolution of a thread. We started talking about Obama's comment on America's superiority over Russia, and now we're talking about Mel Gibson and the historical inaccuracies of Brave Heart, lol.
edit on 21-4-2014 by JohnnySasaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: benrl

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Yeah, clearly Im impressed with the Presidents diplomatic prowess, perhaps someone should send him a copy.

First of all this new layout for phones is getting on my nerves. As the site seams to jump all over the place.
Now I'm pretty sure amongst communistic countries there is a brotherhood. Secondly I'm pretty sure all high ranking russian army generals and officers could recite sun Zu art of wall. And lastly the top most powerful armies in the world. China, India, Russia, North Korea, America. And lastly I am having trouble putting words to get her due to lack of coffee.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I was ok with Mel Gibson until he did that passion and the Christ thing that turned out to be a sadists wet dream and I saw him for what he was.

Trouble is too many people think they learn history from Hollywood and think american hero's all shoot straight, never miss unlike the bad guys with machine guns who must all be blind.

it gets worse as the years go by because the same rules apply to computer games.

Hell just pointing out that Russia liberated more land back from Germany gets you in trouble and you are free to mention the French underground but point out the vichi-french fighting for Hitler and it all goes quite.

Victor of war always write the history and it's takes many, many years before little dribbles are allowed to slip out.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard
a reply to: crazyewok

Trouble is too many people think they learn history from Hollywood and think american hero's all shoot straight, never miss unlike the bad guys with machine guns who must all be blind.

Only the stupid people think that (I constantly make fun of the movies like that, and personally can't stand it),........so in a sense, I guess I'm agreeing with you, because as I've said on many occasion before, about 99.9% (literal) of the entire population of the earth, is completely retarded.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner This is really crapping me off. ATS fix your site. It is virtually impossible now to leave comments using a android phone. I keep getting thrown to the top of the site in desktop mode from mobile mode when I go to comment.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
THIS is a true statement. TheUS could wipe out Russian in a couple of month. The only thing they'd have left is nucs and that would be the end of all things. The Russians are not that fanatical ( I pray).

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: wrkn4livn
THIS is a true statement. TheUS could wipe out Russian in a couple of month. The only thing they'd have left is nucs and that would be the end of all things. The Russians are not that fanatical ( I pray).

That's when you pray to whom ever you believe is your god that our multi-layered missile defense system works as it's designed.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnySasaki

So do some people living in huts in Africa, you know the ones that scam Americans mostly grandma and grandpa for data on weekly basis. So whats you point? What is the point of any of this?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

So do some people living in huts in Africa, you know the ones that scam Americans mostly grandma and grandpa for data on weekly basis. So whats you point? What is the point of any of this?

I don't know what you're talking about. To what post of mine are you referring? The quote button is your friend.

Edit:

Oh, it's the 57Mbps download speed.

The point was, someone made a comment about how slow America's internet speed was, and I showed my fairly (I think anyway) fast internet speed to essentially prove him, at least partially, wrong.

Oh, and btw, no, I HIGHLY doubt some guy in the middle of Africa in a "hut" is getting faster internet than me.

The only African countries I see on this list are way down at the bottom.

I know these are averages, but technically, I should be in second place, lol.

Also notice how this:

says faster that 88% of the US. That means that 12% have even faster internet then me. Beings there's roughly 317 million people in the US now, that's over 38,040,000 people, if my math is correct.
edit on 21-4-2014 by JohnnySasaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Vovin

Spoken by the person elected to lead a country that he thought had 57 states.

A person should know the number of states he is governing better than he should know their military.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

You would be more like 12th place, and you would be above average in your locale pool. But what is your point? What is the point of any of this?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

You would be more like 12th place, and you would be above average in your locale pool. But what is your point?

I know this is probably obvious, but, ....are you retarded? Maybe a little slow?

According to the chart, Hong Kong (which is just a city now if I recall, so I don't even know why it's listed) has an average of 70Mb/s, I have 57, and the next on the list is Singapore with what looks to be around 53,.......sooooooooo?

Also, apparently you didn't read my post, because I explained what the point was. Fairly clearly, in fact. You might consider reading the other persons post as well before you start asking stupid questions.

What is the point of any of this?

That I actually cannot answer, because as far as I can tell there is no free will, and therefor no point to the universe, and more importantly, any of us in it.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Obama strongly over estimates our current capabilities. It's not a matter of what the men and women of the armed forces are capable of, it's a matter of all the budget cuts, personnel cuts, and battle fatigue that we have to deal with day in and day out.

I'm a flight nurse in the Air Force. I see it every day. The enthusiasm is still there, the knowledge and skills are still there. But we've been asked to do more and more with less and less all while still trying to finish up operations in OEF. Our next gen aircraft F-22's and F-35s are still getting kinks worked out. Our cargo aircraft are over used and ancient (minus the C-17 but even that has flown too many hours during the past 13 years). Our refueling fleet is still mainly operated with the 60 year old KC-135's and the KC-46's are still a few years away from coming into the fold.

I can't speak to certainty regarding the Army, Navy and Marines, but lord knows they could use a few years away from battle to clear their heads after all they've been through. America needs peace...we can't do this again.
edit on 21-4-2014 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join