It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin tells Edward Snowden: Russia doesn't carry out mass surveillance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Well Edward Snowden, being a man greatly concerned with privacy and individual rights, went on to a televised Q and A for Putin posing the question of whether the Russian government carries out mass surveillance. He got an answer:

President Vladimir Putin has told the National Security Agency whistleblower, Edward Snowden, that Russia is not carrying out mass surveillance programmes of the kind Snowden exposed in the US.

Snowden made a video-link appearance during Putin's marathon televised question and answer session to ask the president about Russia's attitude to mass surveillance.

Further on this:

Putin's claims will be treated with a high degree of scepticism by western intelligence officials. With China, they regard Russia as the biggest culprits in terms of cyber espionage and cyber theft – which is undertaken by both countries on an industrial scale.

The Guardian has reported how Russia is upgrading an electronic surveillance system known as Sorm, which is capable of capturing telephone communications, intercepting internet traffic and storing data on subscribers including actual recordings and locations.

www.theguardian.com...

I wonder if Snowden was asking a rhetorical question, or was he being serious? He seems like a smart enough person to know the answer to that question of his, that yes they do. The United States is certainly not the only country with a mass surveillance system and I'm fairly certain the Russian government does the same thing.

Snowden does have abit of dilemma I understand. On one hand he's hiding away from a government he views as invasive and unconstitutional but on the other hand he's seeking asylum under the Russian government, not exactly the bastion of freedom in the world, Russia. So Snowden has to tread lightly not upset Russian officials. Not exactly the best position to be in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Well, if anyone believes that I got a bridge to sell them.

At best its probably a technical truth,

Much like "meta data"

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
It would be interesting to know if he already knew the answer and decided to ask him just to see if he'd lie.

Snowden: Do you spy on the civilians of Russia?

Putin: Wha..? Of course not. We are FREE country.

*Snowden pulls out flash drive and waves it slightly*

Snowden: Ohhh really?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mizzijr
It would be interesting to know if he already knew the answer and decided to ask him just to see if he'd lie.

Snowden: Do you spy on the civilians of Russia?

Putin: Wha..? Of course not. We are FREE country.

*Snowden pulls out flash drive and waves it slightly*

Snowden: Ohhh really?

Yeaa fat chance of Snowden doing that. Unless he leaves Russia and I don't think he readily has that choice.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Agreed I believe it was more of a propaganda piece. Ol Vlad called him up, said remember how I gave you slyum ? Time for you to start paying me back. He doesn't have much of a choice.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Snowden didn't happen to "just call in". As it is reported that the question was pre recorded. Posting the other thread because it's shared on there www.abovetopsecret.com... by the OP. Putin trying to benefit himself, and in turn it will cause people to claim that is the evidence that Snowden is a complete psyop, as already noted.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Mafia Govt don't need to worry about surveillance
They just impose whatever they want.

new topics

top topics

join