It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open your eyes America, you are to blame.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
" I deserve " - " I demand " - " I have the right to ( insert non constitutional right ) " - " This is owed to me "

The amount of people that think they deserve something just for living is on the rise, and with that, the amount of corruption the government can get away with is on the rise. Throw a little money someones way, give them a little rope and they are satisfied, because they get something when they believe they deserved something.

No. No, no no no. NO.

This is WHY the government and big business get away with things - because people don't have the mindset of making a living for themselves, for giving it their all to make ends meet, to get the right amount of education, or job training to attain a reasonably paying job.

The mentality that follows people that believe you should earn your living, and do a hard days work is vastly different from those that have their hands out, because they " can't do anything about the situation they are in "

Intelligence, hard working, competence might be attributes that are higher in some than others, but I mostly believe these are attributes we can attain, attributes we can exercise and grow.

Overall, I think it's apathy, weak-mindedness, incompetence, and a feeling of entitlement that is bringing this nation down. Only when a nation is full of these types of people, can a government become so corrupt right in front of their faces ( not even behind their backs. )

For the record - I have the attribute of apathy - but it doesn't hurt me. I'm doing fine in my own life, despite others making my same wage seem to struggle. I don't desire a change in circumstance, but do wish I could see others either become better with their circumstances, or change them.

Anyways, that's my rant. A good day to you, ATS members.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Oh look. Another person who thinks the problems of society start with the lazy poor. There are a limited number of jobs, that is a fact. Among those jobs are a limited number of "good" jobs, that is to say, jobs that put one in the middle class. Everyone knows that the middle class is shrinking, do you believe that it is shrinking because nobody is filling the middle class jobs? Let me answer that for you, NO. The middle class is shrinking because there are less "good" jobs than there were previously.

Where did these jobs go and are they coming back? Well, I can tell you that they weren't taken by the illegal Mexican immigrants and pretty much anything that could be outsourced has already been outsourced. Here's an infographic that I posted in another thread a week or so ago, my apologies to those who have seen it:

Source was an 2013 article from the MIT Technology Review. Here's a link to the larger image.

The more jobs we automate, the less jobs there are for people to fill. These days, we're not just replacing people in factories with machines, we're also computerizing and the computerization is getting more sophisticated as we develop increasingly complex AI's. The more sophisticated the AI's get, the more better paying jobs we'll lose. Eventually we're going to face staggering unemployment that will make what we see today look pretty f'ing awesome in comparison.

Then what? Will you come back here and tell the 45-50%+ of unemployed people to just try a little harder?
edit on 2014-4-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

edit on 2014-4-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

because people don't have the mindset of making a living for themselves, for giving it their all to make ends meet, to get the right amount of education, or job training to attain a reasonably paying job

What people? I've never said any different. Go to school, grad, work earn. Folks come on here and say these things but don't ever point to anyone specifically believing otherwise. The poster above me makes a solid point as well.

as for the bill of rights, if youd rather have a government just gag you, throw you in prison for nothing, or kill you for whatever they chose to, surrender your rights. See how long it takes before some nutjob or a group of them lynches you.
edit on 17-4-2014 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Oh look. Another person who thinks the problems of society start with the lazy poor. There are a limited number of jobs, that is a fact. Among those jobs are a limited number of "good" jobs, that is to say, jobs that put one in the middle class. Everyone knows that the middle class is shrinking, do you believe that it is shrinking because nobody is filling the middle class jobs? Let me answer that for you, NO. The middle class is shrinking because there are less "good" jobs than there were previously.

Where did these jobs go and are they coming back? Well, I can tell you that they weren't taken by the illegal Mexican immigrants and pretty much anything that could be outsourced has already been outsourced. Here's an infographic that I posted in another thread a week or so ago, my apologies to those who have seen it:

Source was an 2013 article from the MIT Technology Review. Here's a link to the larger image.

The more jobs we automate, the less jobs there are for people to fill. These days, we're not just replacing people in factories with machines, we're also computerizing and the computerization is getting more sophisticated as we develop increasingly complex AI's. The more sophisticated the AI's get, the more better paying jobs we'll lose. Eventually we're going to face staggering unemployment that will make what we see today look pretty f'ing awesome in comparison.

Then what? Will you come back here and tell the 45-50%+ of unemployed people to just try a little harder?
Thank you for this post!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Things are indeed getting worse, for many reasons, but I still believe it is due to lazy, weak-minded people that they are getting worse. Have a nation that has 99% hard working, intelligent people and regardless of automation, there's not going to be near as many problems with jobs - nor the allowance of such corruption.

Plus, you made your post all about jobs - I am talking about the overall state of the country, not just the lack of jobs alone. Right now, the candidate that promises the nation the most seems to win. Obama talks of free healthcare, increased entitlement, he made so many promises of what he could do for us ( albeit always with our tax money, that was never really hidden ) and a terrible person got yet a second presidency.

Even if Obama is a puppet and there are higher powers, these higher powers could not exist if more people were intelligent, active, desired not to be ignorant and sheeple.

Also, I posted in the rant section because it is just that. A rant. Not a factual statement full of statistical evidence, intelligent statements, and an action plan to help things out - Just an upset me posting on a forum made just for that.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Universal Income, such as that voted for and likely to be put in place in Switzerland, where true democracy is practiced, has been tested in various places and proven effective at increasing a nations productivity and general financial viability. The non productive members of society became MORE productive and contributed MORE to society when they weren't held down by a poverty cycle after all members of the society were given a basic income, any more than the basic earned is kept, providing incentive for improving motivation and being more productive.

If places like the US and UK could take themselves out of the Oligarchy trance they have been placed in by means of propaganda and hoodwinking politics, the general populations therein might just afford themselves some truth and clarity as to the nature of the reality which they are subjected to.

The monetary system was always doomed to fail, it has reached peak, like peak oil, and is on a downward trend, it isn't a sustainable system, anyone with any hindsight would have foreseen this. Money changers in the temple / worshiping false idols etc are some of the morals taught in the bible, which is based on older texts and 'mysteries', there is truth in those lessons.

I posted a few days ago on another thread the progressive ideas being practiced in other European lands that the US and UK should be paying attention to and looking at utilising such facilities.

The actual study for the basic income that was tested is online somewhere though here are some reports detailing the proposals in Switzerland, including capping CEO etc income to being no more than 12x the lowest paid workers salary, also that the 'golden handshakes' practiced by so many on the corporate gravy train will be illegal, well done Switzerland!

Switzerland has a very direct style of democracy. For example, changes to the constitution, or "popular initiatives," can be proposed by members of the public and are voted on if more than 100,000 people sign them. If a majority of voters and cantons (Swiss states) agree, the change can be come law.

This system not only allows individual citizens a high degree of control of their laws, but also means that more unorthodox ideas become referendum issues.

Recently, there has been a spate of popular initiatives designed to curb inequality in the country. Earlier this year Swiss voters agreed to an idea proposed by entrepreneur Thomas Minder that limited executive (in his words, "fat cat") salaries of companies listed on the Swiss stock market. Next month voters will decide on the 1:12 Initiative, which aims to limit the salaries of CEOs to 12 times the salary of their company's lowest paid employee.

There's a crazier proposal than this, however. Earlier this month an initiative aimed at giving every Swiss adult a "basic income" that would "ensure a dignified existence and participation in the public life of the whole population" gained enough support to qualify for a referendum. The amount suggested is 2,500 francs ($2,800) a month.

While most observers think that the vote is a longshot, it has certainly sparked debate — and not just in Switzerland. Writing for USA Today, Duncan Black said that a "minimum income" should be considered for the U.S.

"It's pretty clear that the most efficient way to improve the lives of people is to guarantee a minimum income," Black concludes.

However, Black understates just how radical the proposal is. We spoke to Daniel Straub, one of the people behind the initiative, to get a better understanding of what the proposal really means, why it is so radical, and what the world could learn from it.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

www.theguardian.com...

Voters in Swiss referendum back curbs on executives' pay and bonuses
Exit polls suggest 68% support for 'Minder initiative' which would also ban golden handshakes and golden parachutes

edit on 17-4-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Actually whats bringing America down is people that believe what you believe.

`
This is WHY the government and big business get away with things - because people don't have the mindset of making a living for themselves, for giving it their all to make ends meet, to get the right amount of education, or job training to attain a reasonably paying job. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...``

That`s exactly the mindset the elite and corporations want people to do which is totally playing in their hands.
Not everyone in this monopoly game wants to throw the dice any longer.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I think the key is to become as self-reliant as possible.

If you can do without government assistance, corporate assistance, any type of assistance, then you're well on your way to become whatever you want to be.

People are brought up now with the idea that they are victims. Well, if you start off with the mindset that "they" are going to win and come get you, then you'll lose, regardless.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
IMO one of the major problems is that we WERE a republic calling ourselves a democracy, yet we are actually neither anymore. IMO we are an oligarchy pretending to be a democracy.

join