It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma House passes solar surcharge bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Talk about trying to prevent progress, it seems as though certain legislators in certain states wish to continue making it harder for Americans to tap into unlimited energy from the sun. People talk about the politicians in DC being in the pockets of business, well this extends beyond DC:

Utility customers who want to install rooftop solar panels or small wind turbines could face extra charges on their bills after legislation passed the Oklahoma House of Representatives on Monday.

Senate Bill 1456 passed 83-5 after no debate in the House. It passed the Senate last month and now heads to Gov. Mary Fallin for her approval.

The bill was supported by the state’s major electric utilities, but drew opposition from solar advocates, environmentalists and others. It sets up a process at the Oklahoma Corporation Commission to establish a separate customer class and monthly surcharge for distributed generation such as rooftop solar or small wind turbines.

Customers who already have those systems installed wouldn’t be affected by the bill.

newsok.com...

And people brag on about being "taxed enough already" on here, where's the outrage on this? Being charged to use the energy from the sun?? Unbelievable.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian
SINCE WHEN DOES THE STATE OWN THE SUN?oR THE WIND?
COMEON PEOPLE ........RISE UP!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It passed 83-5 with no debate.

Except for this small thread, this will go unnoticed and other states will likely pass similar legislation.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Wow, these people are some serious scum bags to pass this legislation.

I guess we know who contributes to the elected officials in OK.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Oklahoma isn't the first to think of this. As a matter of fact, they probably got the idea from Spain!

Spain Levies Consumption Tax on Sunlight

Proving that idiocy truly has no bounds, Spain issued a "royal decree" taxing sunlight gatherers. The state threatens fines as much as 30 million euros for those who illegally gather sunlight without paying a tax.

The tax is just enough to make sure that homeowners cannot gather and store solar energy cheaper than state-sponsored providers.

The Secretary of State for Energy, Alberto Nadal, signed a draft royal decree in which consumption taxes are levied on those who want to start solar power systems on their rooftops. The tax, labeled a "backup toll" is high enough to ensure that it will be cheaper to keep buying energy from current providers.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Why?

Why would legislators do this?

They must know it'll cause a backlash! Sometimes, I honestly think these asshats do stuff just to see how much they can get away with.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I can't verify this but I read somewhere on ATS that Germany will charge for rainfall based on the area of a yard.

FPL in Florida makes it difficult and expensive to sell back excessive homemade power. Plenty of sunshine here.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Well, seeing how the Republican party holds a super-majority in both, the Oklahoma state Senate and House of Representatives and coupled with the fact that they also have a Republican Governor, (whom I'm sure will proudly sign this bill) it has become abundantly clear that this is the GOP's idea of liberty & freedom. Who'd a thunk it?

I've come to expect nothing less from states with Republican controlled state houses and legislatures which by the way, are also the same ones advocating for all the new voter suppression initiatives.

Just a happy-go-lucky bunch of freedom loving Americans.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

Don't forget that corporations are people now.

The corporations that sell electricity are just people with a lot of money that can simply buy votes and manipulate popular opinion through ad campaigns.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I find it interesting in that when poor legislation comes from republicans, everyone slams them.

As should be the case.

But when poor legislation comes from democrats, many slam them, but the leftists defend them.

(aren't you allowed to disagree with your party leadership?)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

Don't forget that corporations are people now.

The corporations that sell electricity are just people with a lot of money that can simply buy votes and manipulate popular opinion through ad campaigns.

No doubt!

And considering how money = speech, their voice is loud enough to drown out any opposition, (in the actual "human" form) that may come along.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Will sunbathers be fined in the near future for not paying for the privilege of access to the sun?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Why?

Why would legislators do this?

Maybe...just maybe its never been about cheaper energy,
rather than creating another industry to tax.

edit on 17-4-2014 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I find it interesting in that when poor legislation comes from republicans, everyone slams them.

As should be the case.

But when poor legislation comes from democrats, many slam them, but the leftists defend them.

(aren't you allowed to disagree with your party leadership?)

We're definitely allowed to disagree and we do, when we think the legislation or the individual is bad.

Personally, I have no problem opposing legislation that originates from my party and/or those who propose it, when I believe them to be wrong. It's just that more often than not, I happen to agree with them.

On the other hand, some of the most oppressive legislation I've seen in my lifetime is currently coming exclusively from states who's legislatures are controlled by Republicans. Go figure!

edit on 17-4-2014 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: windword

I can't verify this but I read somewhere on ATS that Germany will charge for rainfall based on the area of a yard.

FPL in Florida makes it difficult and expensive to sell back excessive homemade power. Plenty of sunshine here.

By royal decree, a "rain tax" has also been applied in Maryland:

www.frontpagemag.com...

"Welcome to Planet Stupid".

I guess Harry Reid owns the sunlight that falls onto peoples properties, not the people themselves. Perhaps they will introduce a suntan tax next. Or maybe a "shadow tax" for anyone who lives in the shade of another building and doesn't have to pay so much for air conditioning.

edit on 17-4-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
So they got rights over sunshine now? What's next? Gravity Usage Fees

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Small government Oklahoma??

Per the norm, caving to the biggest business... Interesting how we shouldn't regulate the energy industry, yet they REGULARLY regulate us. More Red State idiocy

Protect Freedom! (the freedom for American corporations to rape American citizens)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

What some states are doing is taking away the Federal solar Tax credit that allow up to 30% of the costs and more.

It is despicable how the fat wallets of the profiteers, are no limited to Washington politicians, they are everywhere, buying elected officials paying for laws, money that can go to help the consumer, but people still elect the rats anyway both at state and national level, even when the politicians are no helping the voters and tax payers at all.

edit on 17-4-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
How can you people be so cold hearted that you can be against this. Just think of those poor people that own the energy companies that are losing money because people are going to solar instead of being on the grid. Many of these people can barely afford a third or fourth Ferrari much less a second house in the Hamptons or that dream home near the ski lodge. We should show these people we still have the American spirit and take up a collection and help their dreams come true.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
from the story....

Representatives of Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co. and Public Service Co. of Oklahoma said the surcharge is needed to recover some of the infrastructure costs to send excess electricity safely from distributed generation back to the grid.

The representatives said utilities need the new surcharge to prevent customers who can’t afford the installation costs of distributed generation from subsidizing customers who have the systems installed.

That's all this is ?

Or is it a "back flow" tax on the power actually sold back to the utilities?

The utilities buy the excess power I think.

Does that power cost more than they buy it from somewhere else?

How do Power companies lose money from individual-owned sources?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join