It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$525 fine for "stealing" a fountain coke refill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Ruin some guys life for 89 cents.

I just don't know about people some days.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse
a reply to: tinner07

Ruin some guys life for 89 cents.

I just don't know about people some days.

He did it to himself. He did it before and was told they were not free just in case he missed the sign. He did again several times and was warned each time. It is not like he did it once and they jumped on him. They gave him plenty of chances he chose be a jackhole a keep stealing.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

He made a choice to steal. Nobody forced him to do it. At what monetary value do we decide that stealing is wrong?

One thing that nobody has touched on yet is that this was in a VA hospital. I am not American, so I am gonna make a guess here, but I would presume that proceeds at the cafeteria go back into the hospital to provide care. So this guy was stealing from the patients. The dollar figure is irrelevant, though if he did it just once I would cut the guy a break. Doing it over and over is just disrespectful and shows he has no fear of consequences.
edit on 17-4-2014 by InvisibleOwl because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2014 by InvisibleOwl because: spelling.......sigh

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl
a reply to: redhorse

He made a choice to steal. Nobody forced him to do it.

ya not supposed to give anyone the opportunity to steal.

i've ran and owned businesses, resto's, and anything you don't want to go missing, you watch or lock up.

should he have done it? no.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

So should grocery stores keep all their goods behind a barrier and have employees fetch them for customers? After all the items are just right there in the open, begging to be stolen!

There was a sign, he ignored it. Again and again and again.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
While I agree that the punishment seems harsh, this person is a thief. An old boss once told me that we always fired people for stealing. You can correct bad behavior, and you can train someone not to make mistakes, but you cannot teach people not to steal.

A thief is a thief no matter what the amount stolen. And he was warned, so apparently he did not care that much about this job or he would have stopped taking free refills.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

On one hand stealing is stealing, whether it is a fountain coke or a BMW But to lose your job (possibly) over a fountain coke? Stupid on his part for sure, over reaction on the VAs part?

Is it just me? Or do some southern states react in such very strange ways compared to the northern states. Shoplifting a fountain coke seems very, um, I don't know how to describe it sorry.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

He does not have to pay. This article says he got a warning after reviewing what happened.

A man who faced a $525 fine for refilling an 89-cent drink at a Veterans Affairs hospital apparently will get off with a warning.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl
a reply to: tsingtao

So should grocery stores keep all their goods behind a barrier and have employees fetch them for customers? After all the items are just right there in the open, begging to be stolen!

There was a sign, he ignored it. Again and again and again.

i did say watch, didn't i?

who was watching him?

funny that it is the VA. ya know with all their money problems and stuff.

they got to get their money for vets somewhere i guess.
edit on 3025274330am2014 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: nrd101
If you sell fountain drinks and its on the public's side, free refills always. that's the bottom line folks.

That's what all the politicians think too.

All kidding aside if the soda machines are behind counter then no refill, if they are on the public side then it typically free refills.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Free refills after paying for a soda and the cup and the straw. Based on the costs of the product and the retail price1.39 for a cup that costs the establishment 21¢. a reply to: Halfswede

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
5 cents or $500, stealing is stealing. It sounds like they were pretty lenient with the guy, warning him several times and only making a case out of it when he wouldn't stop. I don't know if $525 is appropriate, that seems a bit excessive considering it's unlikely he stole more than $30 worth of goods (and likely less than that) but he does deserve a fine. The job loss is entirely up to his employer.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
89 cents seems cheap .Before or after tax ? Charge $1.25 like everyone else and free refills problem solved. Its one thing to be 15 and sneak a refill. Over 23 your a bum and a thief.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If he were your employee, and you realized he was that blase about stealing (once warned).. would you really want him working for you? I imagine it also wouldn't mean much to him to steal the company's tools.. which is often a big concern for a construction company.

Just because something is accessible and unattended doesn't mean it's free. I'm constantly amazed at how quickly people here will berate the government or other establishments for any infraction, but crooks, dictators and countries with ill-intent are given a free pass, or just as often, praised for their actions.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
$525 fine

I disagree. Its not "fine".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join