It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$525 fine for "stealing" a fountain coke refill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I ran across this story and not quite sure what to think.

www.foxnews.com...

A South Carolina construction worker has been banned from his work site and is on the hook to pay a $525 federal fine after he refilled his 89-cent drink without ponying up at a Veterans Affairs hospital.

It says that he shoplifted the soda. It doesnt say whether or not he left the building because you are not shoplifting until you leave the building.

Its hard to pass judgement not knowing the "whole" story but it does say he has done it several times and signs are posted that there are no free refills.

I think the worst part is he was kicked off the jobsite. Maybe he got sent to another job but maybe he is now out of a job?

On one hand stealing is stealing, whether it is a fountain coke or a BMW But to lose your job (possibly) over a fountain coke?

Stupid on his part for sure, over reaction on the VAs part?

What think you?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

They should just slap him and then forgive him. Hey, it works in Iran

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
If you sell fountain drinks and its on the public's side, free refills always. that's the bottom line folks.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I know, free refills on fountain cokes is pretty standard

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: nrd101
If you sell fountain drinks and its on the public's side, free refills always. that's the bottom line folks.

Agreed. Don't want people taking refills, don't have it on the public side of things, a sign that says "no refills" isn't going to stop a lot of folks. Unless you have a security guard there.. guarding the machine.... Most places don't care.

(Honestly, the packages of crap they use for those fountain drinks costs them a few cents a cup, if that)
edit on 17/4/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

$525 fine for "stealing" 1 1/2 ounces of flavored sugar syrup. Welcome to the USSA, comrades.

Just did some cursory research. Seems the average 16-20 oz. beverage would cost the establishment around 15 cents worth of sugary syrup.

edit on 17-4-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I thought you always got free refills on fountain drinks when you can make them yourself! This is crazy!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Takeing a few cent sugar water from a corporation, HUGE Fine.

Raping the american economy and end result the world?

Bail Out.

Yep checks out, par for the course.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I gotta disagree with you guys. He stole. Does not matter if it was 89 cents ... the sign says no free refills, and he chose to ignore it.

He said he has done this many times before (so while the amount is still small, it is more than 89 cents), and did not know he had to pay; so he failed to see the sign everytime?

The updated article says the fine has been dropped; hopefully this dude learned his lesson.

As for losing his job, it sucks, but since he has already shown an attitude of entitlement and disrespect, would you really want him to work for you?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Stupid on his part for sure, over reaction on the VAs part?
It's "federal", that's the thing, like if you park at the Post Office with a gun in the trunk of your car, hypothetically they could put you in Federal Prison.
They want to show you who is the boss, no matter how ridiculous it is.

edit on 17-4-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If they don't want patrons getting refills, why they don't put the drink machine in a place where customers can't access it themselves?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
If they don't want patrons getting refills, why they don't put the drink machine in a place where customers can't access it themselves?

My exact thoughts.
If I have to get the drink myself, why should I have to pay every time I want to go refill it. I don't see how they can stop everyone who wants a refill from getting one if they have the fountain in public reach.
edit on 17-4-2014 by Havox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'd be in trouble there .... if a fountain drink machine is where the customer fills it up him/her self, then I'd assume that refills are free.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I ran across this story and not quite sure what to think.

$525 for a fine is utterly ridiculous....I decided to look up the cost of a soda on the side of the retailer...check it out

For a 20 oz soda we will now take our pour size of 20 oz x $0.0132 and get $0.264 or basically 27 Cents per 20 oz soda. Now lets consider ICE! If you fill your 20 oz cup with ice to the brim, you will only be pouring about 8.75 oz of soda into the cup. Realistically your soda cost will only be 8.75 oz x $0.0132 or 12 cents per unit sold. To finish the cost out lets say we have a 7 cent foam cup, 1 cent lid and 1.5 cents straw to complete the package. Although these last three items will most likely be accounted on your Profit & Loss statement as paper goods, let's add them to the soda cost to realize the total cost involved with selling a 20 oz soda.

20 oz cup of soda with ice requires 8.75 oz of product or $0.12
20 oz foam cup cost $0.07
Lid for cup costs $0.01
Straw costs $0.015
Total Cost = $0.215 or rounded up $0.22 per soda

Source

What robbery....the cost per 20oz cup of soda is $0.22.

Yeah...a $525 dollar fine seems reasonable. The world is truely a crazy place.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I'd be in trouble there .... if a fountain drink machine is where the customer fills it up him/her self, then I'd assume that refills are free.

Unless of course you read the signs on the machines. Then you would not need to assume because you would know. Or in this guys case where he had done it before and been warned several times. After signs and being told you can no longer assume refills are free.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My guess is that he was fined not so much for taking the refill, but for being a complete jackass about it later. Some people just can't bring themselves to admit they were wrong or ignorant about something and apologize. They have to make a big hairy deal out of it.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
While I think the fine/punishment are excessive, I am surprise how many people think it is "free refills" just because you have "public" access to it. Is it free hot dogs because you serve yourself at the mini mart? If it is ambiguous, I can see assuming free soda such as at a fast food restaurant, but if there is a sign, there is no question. It isn't a civil right.

It doesn't matter who serves it, it is stealing if you get a refill with such a sign. I have seen people literally walk in off the street into markets and restaurants an fill their random cup with soda or even coffee as if it is a public utility. I am sure this guy probably fell into the latter category. I guess I am surprised at the general attitude is all.
edit on 17-4-2014 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Maybe the fine was excessive but stealing is stealing.
Wonder if he brought his own cup in? I've seen people do that before. How cheap can someone be?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
yeah, it's crazy.

i'm with some of you, in that if there are no re-fills, it shouldn't be on the customer side.

i can't believe he lost his job over that.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Now you have to watch your back, lest you accidentally swipe a pen or some other trivial valued item. They just might decide that 10¢ is worth jailing you for. It's ridiculous what the law will burden you with if you're poor, so much for the concept of justice.

But really, what everyone else said, if they don't want you making any refils - don't put the soda fountain on the public side.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join