It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can Curiosity only take pictures?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I don't get it. Short and simple question: why can we not receive streaming video from Curiosity? This rover has stereo sight with the best resolution money can buy...Uuhm..that is what I assume curiosity has.

But anyways...why can we not watch a nice vid from Mars made by Curiosity. I am not very technical in that department but if the delay is the problem why not just record and sent the recording back to Earth for all of us to enjoy.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but I just like a good mystery from time to time. But ever since I keep an eye on what Curiosity is doing some of my friends are accusing me of being a conspiracy terrorist. I am begining to suspect that nasa is afraid that the common foot-soldiers will notice cuts or editing in the film.... and decided to lie.

Hopefully one of you guys can explain what the reason is why Curiosity can only make pictures.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

edit on 17-4-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Short and simple question: why can we not receive streaming video from Curiosity?

Simple answer, there is no broadband connection with Mars.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

Curiosity can take video (about 10 fps) but it can't stream live video to Earth , as zilebeliveunknown says there's not enough bandwidth.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Good question, it surely have the ability to send video feed back, not as live stream, but it could store the recording locally and send it in small bits..

The data rate direct-to-Earth varies from about 500 bits per second to 32,000 bits per second (roughly half as fast as a standard home modem). The data rate to the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is selected automatically and continuously during communications and can be as high as 2 million bits per second. The data rate to the Odyssey orbiter is a selectable 128,000 or 256,000 bits per second (4-8 times faster than a home modem).

An orbiter passes over the rover and is in the vicinity of the sky to communicate with the rover for about eight minutes at a time, per sol. In that time, between 100 and 250 megabits of data can be transmitted to an orbiter. That same 250 megabits would take up to 20 hours to transmit direct to Earth! The rover can only transmit direct-to-Earth for a few hours a day due to power limitations or conflicts with other planned activities, even though Earth may be in view much longer.

Mars is rotating on its own axis so Mars often "turns its back" to Earth, taking the rover with it. The rover is turned out of the field of view of Earth and goes "dark," just like nighttime on Earth, when the sun goes out of the field of view of Earth at a certain location when the Earth turns its "back" to the sun. The orbiters can see Earth for about 2/3 of each orbit, or about 16 hours a day. They can send much more data direct-to-Earth than the rover, not only because they can see Earth longer, but also because they have a lot of power and bigger antennas than the rover.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara
I don't get it. Short and simple question: why can we not receive streaming video from Curiosity? This rover has stereo sight with the best resolution money can buy...Uuhm..that is what I assume curiosity has.

But anyways...why can we not watch a nice vid from Mars made by Curiosity. I am not very technical in that department but if the delay is the problem why not just record and sent the recording back to Earth for all of us to enjoy.

I am not a conspiracy theorist but I just like a good mystery from time to time. But ever since I keep an eye on what Curiosity is doing some of my friends are accusing me of being a conspiracy terrorist. I am begining to suspect that nasa is afraid that the common foot-soldiers will notice cuts or editing in the film.... and decided to lie.

Hopefully one of you guys can explain what the reason is why Curiosity can only make pictures.

Here's another question, why can't we get audio as well as streaming video? I'd love to hear what it sounds like on Mars even if it is only wind noise, but I suspect there is more.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I think it's more because of power consumption, it's saved for other task on the rover.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Here's another question, why can't we get audio as well as streaming video?

Forget the video I wan't audio I got a bet with a mate that it sounds like the planets on the original Star Trek series.

edit on 17-4-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
who is watching who on mars ?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

edit on 17-4-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Curiosity can take video (about 10 fps) but it can't stream live video to Earth , as zilebeliveunknown says there's not enough bandwidth.

10 fps? I mean c'mon, they spend all that money and can't afford a gopro?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: zilebeliveunknown
reply to post by zatara

Short and simple question: why can we not receive streaming video from Curiosity?

If a broadband connection is the problem I personally will be satisfied with a narrowbandwidth. The way I understand it is that the orbiting satelite is not long enough above curiosity to receive all the data. I bet there is a smart guy from MIT who can find a solution for this. Maybe burst of data..

Anyways, I am convinced that when people are smart enough to land such a advanced machine safely on a planet millions of miles away... and into a few hundreds of meters radius..... can sent some moving pictures too. Yes, I know ...do not want to listen to the facts...stubborn.. that is the conspiracy terrorist in me.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara

originally posted by: zilebeliveunknown
reply to post by zatara

If a broadband connection is the problem I personally will be satisfied with a narrowbandwidth. The way I understand it is that the orbiting satelite is not long enough above curiosity to receive all the data. I bet there is a smart guy from MIT who can find a solution for this. Maybe burst of data..

Anyways, I am convinced that when people are smart enough to land such a advanced machine safely on a planet millions of miles away... and into a few hundreds of meters radius..... can sent some moving pictures too. Yes, I know ...do not want to listen to the facts...stubborn.. that is the conspiracy terrorist in me.

And I'm no expert but aren't there times when mars is on the other side of the sun? Making it impossible to send a transmission?

top topics

join