It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Kill Switch’ Included on All Cell Phones Made in U.S. by 2015

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

bobs_uruncle
reply to post by jude11

Good to know, S&F! But any idea I wonder if it applies to rooted phones. Or maybe phones that can be breached by JTAG hacking (nudge nudge wink wink). I guess what I am looking at is do I have to mod the operating system or do I have to rewrite the firmware?

The only reason I am looking at this is because if the PTB decide at some point to kill all communications due to revolution, bank run, etc., it would be nice to still have clear channel and IP based jump points to re-establish DNS if necessary.

Get my data, oh nooos. They'll have some good reading if they're into drug/grocery/hardware store chemistry for fun and profit or a lot of karaoke LOL. Ya never know when 50 people are going spontaneously erupt into song in the middle of the street during rush hour and need quick pyrotechnics, like some cheesy movie ;-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 4/16.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

I have my suspicions that when it comes to revolution or bank runs or Martial Law etc...it will be in use very quickly.

I'm guessing also that as soon as it becomes reality, some one is going to figure out the work around.

We're stubborn, it's what we Do...

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

jude11

bobs_uruncle
reply to post by jude11

Good to know, S&F! But any idea I wonder if it applies to rooted phones. Or maybe phones that can be breached by JTAG hacking (nudge nudge wink wink). I guess what I am looking at is do I have to mod the operating system or do I have to rewrite the firmware?

The only reason I am looking at this is because if the PTB decide at some point to kill all communications due to revolution, bank run, etc., it would be nice to still have clear channel and IP based jump points to re-establish DNS if necessary.

Get my data, oh nooos. They'll have some good reading if they're into drug/grocery/hardware store chemistry for fun and profit or a lot of karaoke LOL. Ya never know when 50 people are going spontaneously erupt into song in the middle of the street during rush hour and need quick pyrotechnics, like some cheesy movie ;-)

Cheers - Dave

I have my suspicions that when it comes to revolution or bank runs or Martial Law etc...it will be in use very quickly.

I'm guessing also that as soon as it becomes reality, some one is going to figure out the work around.

Peace

And when someone figures out a way around it, I'm gonna put in my request now for a private message with instructions included!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

jude11

bobs_uruncle
reply to post by jude11

Cheers - Dave

Peace

And when the time comes, PM me as I have many of the new Android emulation tools and the JTAG equipment as well as smart card readers ;-) BTW, anyone who is interested in JTAG's and emulators for Android, you can get them on AliExpress and they have very reasonable prices! That's where I bought a lot of mine, well that and a couple from eBay.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

jude11

ShallowMan

jude11

You got it...And Welcome to ATS!

Great first post.

Peace

Thanks Jude
.. I'm happy to be here. I've been lurking for years. I joined to post something in off-topic, but I have 17 replies left to go..

I wanted to mention that the manufacturer who was found to be adding backdoors to their chips had those very chips certified by the US Government for sensitive data processing! WTF, right?

When it comes to the US Govt. nothing surprises me at all.

Now...Got a link?

Peace

Same link as in my original reply: www.zdnet.com... 8798
edit on 16-4-2014 by ShallowMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You got it.

So many ways to silence the people even more now.

Because in court..."Pics or it Didn't happen" will be the only thing a judge really has to say to you.

never been one much for th phone thing though for medical reason im being made to get one
id rather do what i have been doing for years, which is to carry my camera with a couple of mem cards

can't 911 if i keel over somewhere on the camera though..maybe i won't with the phone anyway
edit on Wedpm4b20144America/Chicago02 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
And why is this a bad thing...?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

jude11

I think it was the invention of the toaster.

I dunno - ever see early toaster ads? Case in point...

This was, IIRC, a '20s toaster ad for the new invention. Note the black sky, the knives for door posts with toast impaled on it...the whole thing is just surreal. I think if you go into the 'toast tavern' there, you ain't coming out quite the same.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

ShallowMan

I wanted to mention that the manufacturer who was found to be adding backdoors to their chips had those very chips certified by the US Government for sensitive data processing! WTF, right?

IIRC, the "backdoors" were just undocumented JTAG commands that were put there by the designers for debugging and validation. It's not like you can send it a file by wi-fi and copy all the secret data.

Frankly, it's pretty standard practice to do this. I've got undocumented JTAG commands for just that purpose on the parts I design. You want to see some wacky JTAG stuff that's only in the red cover manuals, Intel is the king of that.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

ShallowMan

jude11

ShallowMan

jude11

You got it...And Welcome to ATS!

Great first post.

Peace

Thanks Jude
.. I'm happy to be here. I've been lurking for years. I joined to post something in off-topic, but I have 17 replies left to go..

When it comes to the US Govt. nothing surprises me at all.

Now...Got a link?

Peace

Same link as in my original reply: www.zdnet.com... 8798

Missed it.

Thanks.

Haven't been to ZDNet for a long time. Forgot about it actually.

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

3u40r15m

If you read the OP and follow the sources you can see why.

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

jude11

So who's on board?

By the way, the 2014 CTIA Board of Directors and Officers include the higher ups (Presidents, CEOs and VPs, etc.) from most of the major communications companies including Ericsson, Verizon Wireless, Blackberry, AT&T, Sprint, Qualcomm, LG Electronics, Samsung, T-Mobile, Motorola, U.S. Cellular, Nokia and Apple.

And remember, many of these companies are the same ones the NSA taps to track all your online communications and populate their databases with your data.

Are you listening? Because they are.

edit on 16-4-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Thank god I have many old cell phones ...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
A little paranoid if you ask me, truth is, this is just being announced.
If the TPTB wanted too, they can already do what they want with your smart phone.

I just read an article online too about this, it was actually in relation to people having there new Google glasses stolen right off their faces.

As for the poster who said, why would anybody out super secret stuff on their phones anyways...
Ummmm, welcome to the 21st Century. The majority of people have A LOT of personal things on the smart phones.
Folks these days make online purchases through there phones, I do. I use it to make all kinds of purchases.

This makes sense IMHO, if somebody were to steal my phone, which happens to be a Galaxy Note 3, a really tempting target, I could utilize the App and delete all my personal info, then the security App would take pictures of the person trying to access my phone, which works BTW an emails them to me.

So, relax. If your TOO paranoid about this, then revert to a simple flip phone, nuff said.

I highly doubt what your suggesting would be pulled off, seeing as how some of these cops these days have to wear personal recording devices.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

3u40r15m

Because the government, which holds power over law enforcement aspects of data (example, police can request access to facebook accounts) is now given the ability to shut off or erase your phone data.

As was already posted, you might film an atrocity, boom evidence gone. Perpetrators get away. Or you might be organising a rally or protest, suddenly your communication is cut off, and you're vulnerable. Or maybe someone just wants to # with you for your political beliefs! Scary.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Be responsible for your own darn phone, we don't need big brother to hold our hands like we're 3 year olds.
Besides, I don't believe their intent one bit. No more recording protests or police activities to name a few...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The part of this thats not understood, is that most phones already have this via the manufactuer, i.e my phone is a Moto G, it includes software from motorola called Motorola Care service. Here is an excerpt from an email they sent me:

'Thank you!

Hello --------@gmail.com,

Thank you for enabling Advanced Support on your device. This will allow you to remotely ring, lock, locate or wipe your device in the event it is lost or stolen. For best results, we also recommend you enable Location Access on your device by visiting Settings > Location Access.

To access these features, please visit the Moto Care website.

Once there, sign in with your Google Account - the same one you've used on your device - and go to My Stuff. Now you're ready to go!
Twitter Google+ Facebook Pinterest

Motorola Mobility LLC
Attn: Privacy Compliance Program
600 N. U.S. Highway 45
Mailstop W4-35M
Libertyville, IL USA 60048
You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Motorola product or account."

not only this but you can already do this with a built in google app as well, the wait is over.
BUT, if you have an MicroSD or any other kind of memory card, this would not affect it, only data stored in the internal memory ON the phone, so if its lost or stolen or wiped whatever the reason of loss is, the phone itself becomes a paperweight, but any 3rd party memory and anything contained therein is VERY retrievable, just like a hard drive on a laptop or desktop
edit on 4/16/2014 by LionEatsSheep because: Added

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

jude11

3u40r15m

If you read the OP and follow the sources you can see why.

Peace

It doesn't bother me the least bit..Maybe it's just me...

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

One solution to this problem is to be smarter than the people who create the standardizations for such processes. If they wish to infringe more upon us, simply start changing your MEID or ESN or IMEI enmasse. Start making rooting and open source software on your phone a more common practice. Personally I own no electronic device in which I don't understand the basic, fundamental and advanced concepts of.

If I wanted to go off grid completely I could do this within 24 hours, whilst still operating my devices.

The more control they push the less they will have.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What can i say but damn good thread Jude!
SnF
And thank you for the heads up.

Just thought of something.
This most likely means we can expect more and more police atrocities
WTF IS GOING ON?
I'm cool, I'm cool.
edit on Ram41714v19201400000028 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
S&F'd

2015 launch date to coincide with the mandatory playing of farmville for 2 hours a day

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Enter the Blackphone:

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join