It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA wants ideas to recycle precious oxygen on Deep Space voyages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Looks like NASA might really be getting serious about Deep Space, finally! From its studies into new propulsion for long distance trips, food and water, communications systems, etc..., and now we have "AIR." Yes, NASA is looking into serious ideas for recycling air for long distance trips and they want to hear from you....Yes, you!

Through the Game Changing Development Program, the space agency is taking proposals from NASA centers, other government agencies, federally funded research groups, academic institutions, commercial companies and nonprofit organizations.

www.space.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Come on ATS, let's solve this little problem for them. Heads up and thinking caps on!
edit on 16-4-2014 by Aleister because: the word "or" needed an f to make it complete

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Use the natural scrubbing abilities of planets.
Genetically engineer a plant that converts co2 to oxygen faster (they already do it for our food, i'm sure they can figure it out)

Bam.

(i'm only assuming this would work)
edit on 16/4/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

AzureSky
Use the natural scrubbing abilities of planets.
Genetically engineer a plant that converts co2 to oxygen faster (they already do it for our food, i'm sure they can figure it out)

Bam.

(i'm only assuming this would work)
edit on 16/4/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

The problem is that it's cumbersome and our tech still requires us to be frugal when packing for our trips. If they had plants pull double-duty by providing food and oxygen, then maybe they could do it.

I know... I hate the idea of overlooking the simplest solutions provided by nature but space is tight on those things.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

NASA officials say they expect to give out about six Phase I awards — up to $750,000 each — for teams who submit winning proposals for the design, development and testing of a technology that's capable of an oxygen recovery rate of at least 75 percent. Then under a two-year Phase II contract, the selected teams then will build an actual prototype

If i had one, i surely wouldn't sell it for that kind of money.
What's the deal Nasa?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
When we exhale, we also exhale moisture, H2O. The oxygen from Astronaut's exhalation, sweat, urine or other fluids containing water could be extracted from water molecules. I wonder if a space worthy dehumidifier would be of some use for that.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Oxygen, the brain deeds it to function at a high level…or does it. Mind over matter, pure focus. I would investigate the powers that we already have. Perhaps NASA and DARPA need the assistance of several Tibetan Monk Masters for their enterprise.
The price for their assistance—Help Free Tibet.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
How do deep sea fish and other creatures, who never come to the surface, obtain oxygen??? Maybe therein lies the secret to the quest (or maybe therein lies a stupid question by an illiterate poster).

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
They need to have vines hanging all over everything. grape vines could be used to make wine.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Hmmm. Create a synthetic bio-skin on the inside surfaces of the ship to do this - it would convert all exhalations of C02 back into oxygen. This saves space aboard the ship by incorporating the technology into the ship walls themselves.

Base it on this - exterior solar panels can capture sunlight, which is needed, and on-board lighting could be sunlight spectrum?
Also use kinetic energy from the crew during exercise periods to power the oxygen converters in addition to sunlight, as per this article. It's not entirely clear from the diagrams, but water/resin circuits are mentioned - if water is needed, then it can be reclaimed in part from the atmosphere/urine/exhalations? You could make some of these "trees" or other simulated organic structures on the ship for both function and beauty (i.e. hides machinery and looks awesome).

Faux Trees

Beautiful! I want one!!

peace,
AB

edit on 16-4-2014 by AboveBoard because: facts!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
SCUBA divers have whats called a re breathing apparatus.....im wondering if the principal could be used to re breath spaceship air?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   

StarEater
Oxygen, the brain deeds it to function at a high level…or does it. Mind over matter, pure focus. I would investigate the powers that we already have. Perhaps NASA and DARPA need the assistance of several Tibetan Monk Masters for their enterprise.

Nothing more than woo woo nonsence.

Trying sticking your head in a gas oven while doing buddist meditation and see were that gets you

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

What's needed is a system which incorporates a dehimidifier, an electrolisis device, and a re-breather.
It would also be handy to include a fair sized storage capacity for the resulting air so the system is not easily over stressed.
By building it in orbit, many of the problems of lifting a large craft would be eliminated.
edit on 17-4-2014 by teamcommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
They should bring house plants with them LOL.
We respire carbon dioxide that the plants need they respire oxygen. Win/ Win.
edit on AMu30u0441651302014-04-17T09:51:54-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

crazyewok

StarEater

Nothing more than woo woo nonsence.

Trying sticking your head in a gas oven while doing buddist meditation and see were that gets you

No not woowoo nonsense. These accomplished monks can actually slow their heart rate and respiration down to nearly undetectable levels. You should really look into something before you poopoo it. Sometimes a thing that seems fantastical is actually true. This is one.

new topics

top topics

join