It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need asteroid mining now more than ever

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm a huge fan of space exploration & after hearing about NASA's asteroid initiative it sounds like the most useful mission in space exploration because one; we can learn how to redirect an asteroid saving earth and two; we can mine it for billions and maybe even trillions of dollars worth of minerals like gold and other valuable metals. Now we just need a safe, reliable way to extract and retrieve an asteroids minerals. With this new approach in space exploration america could be much closer to paying off its 17 trillion dollar debt. In fact most of the resources mined on earth like gold and iron have come from asteroid impacts throughout history. Congress wouldn't have any reason to object to an asteroid mission especially if there's resources involved (basically it's a mission that pays for itself) so it looks like a for sure thing now with NASA & the government.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Oh I agree...

Just gotta get the ones that are supposed to be our representatives to quit engaging in every war that lifts its skirt and we may have a beginning.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
If any benefit came out of it, it would be solely reserved for the financial elites, corporations and Government, we would see none of the positive benefits.
edit on 16-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more. 1.5 trillion a year or more is spent on war
If that money was funnelled into space exploration.. well. Needless to say i think we'd already be mining the moon if our planet wasn't controlled by an elite that thinks they can rule the world. Space exploration is freedom from their shackles. I think the tech already exists, and is being used, or is tied up in black projects.

I hope this happens in my lifetime. I want to go to space

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Yes, we need to do this and mine the moon for the Helium 3 to use in fusion reactors.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Visitor2012
If any benefit came out of it, it would be solely reserved for the financial elites, corporations and Government, we would see none of the positive benefits.
edit on 16-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

That's exactly why we are in the position we are in now!

The financial elite have milked the cow dry and their greed is catching up to them!

Until we can lock their greedy asses up, I am not in favor of spending one more penny to do nothing more than accrue them more power and wealth, while the commoners suffer!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Well, you see, that is part of where the triangles sneak into the picture. Besides being the best war weapons every developed, they, being space capable, gives a tremendous economic edge over just such areas as what we can collectively call "off-planet" mining which includes the Moon, Mars and asteroid, etc. Like any investment, it takes time to pay off.

When you hear about future plans to do off-planet mining, it is not necessarily all pie-in-the-sky dreaming by NASA. Despite the fact they don't have a publically known vehicle to even get people into near orbit these days. That would be correct as far NASA's business goes, but the reality of the triangles is adequate proof that the military-industrial complex in the US is still in business in a way few can imagine.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You'll probably find that any asteroid grabbing would be used for a much different purpose than balance of payments, (though they might nick a bob or two..who's saying?)

The more likely idea is lassoing comets and asteroids/meteorites and putting them into decay orbits to terraform other planets, Mars being the obvious one, Michio Kaku is ichio with ideas about that.

bigthink.com...

There is definitely a push on to terraform Mars in the relative near future. The reasons are anybody's guess, although they are already abundant.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Doesn´t fix anything economically.. at now there is only certain amount of valuable minerals gold etc. But if there comes more of these from outside earth all the value of existing ones vanishes.
But if there is some new resources we could use ( something we dont have in earth ) its a different game then

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hate to be the naysayer but aint gonna happen. Lets say you land on an asteroid and mine a ton of gold. You think 2000 lbs of gold introduced into the market might affect the price?

a vehicle large enough to carry a ton of gold might have re entry problems.

Why spend millions to mine for gold? in outer space! They would get a better return on investment to pay me 100k to mine my apt. for gold.

Helium for some clean energy source is understandable, but why go for riches? If you have that kind of money hit the beach with some hoochie girls and support somebodies local economy.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

but why go for riches? If you have that kind of money hit the beach with some hoochie girls and support somebodies local economy.

For power my friend. Always for more POWER!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

There is definitely a push on to terraform Mars in the relative near future. The reasons are anybody's guess, although they are already abundant.
reply to post by smurfy

We can't even get people out of low earth orbit...let alone the moon...let alone Mars. Terraforming tech is wayyy beyond our technical capability, and to my knowledge, there is no funding for any of these costly endeavours.

The US would much rather spend their blood and treasure destroying life and property, than spend it trying to do something positive for humanity.

This has no chance of happening in the "relatively near future" as you put it.

edit on 16America/Chicagopm162014-04-16T20:03:46-05:00pmWednesday04 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Terraforming mars is out the question.

But Asteroid mining is a wondrous prospect.
Its good that Nasa is taking the initiative, but it will be the Privatized Space corps that'll lead the way.

Mining these asteroids, we would have to look at it from a different POV away from just gold, but to yield exotic an rare materials, that is the cash cow.

I think we will see this tech towards the end of our generation.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
we cant spend billions of dollars in expanding our knowledge and resources
We have to focus on saving the planet first

Just thought I'd put that B.S. out there before one of the usuals do

Yay Space...let us go, let us explore
Let us focus on bigger things than who's god is stronger, or who's country is richer

If its governments or corporations, I don't care, go to space, make it profitable
We need to grow up and out

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

deadcalm

We can't even get people out of low earth orbit...let alone the moon...let alone Mars. Terraforming tech is wayyy beyond our technical capability, and to my knowledge, there is no funding for any of these costly endeavours.

This has no chance of happening in the "relatively near future" as you put it.

edit on 16America/Chicagopm162014-04-16T20:03:46-05:00pmWednesday04 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

If you are a no Mooner, you need to prove that no one has ever left LEO. On the other hand there is definitive proof that they did.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

You can use those resources out there to build large solar arrays that beam energy back to earth for one. You would not need to launch heavy materials in to space to develop space colonies, manufacturing, space craft and robotic craft.

We have tech now that can use printers that can use ore materials into anything you want. Just need to get the printers up there once mining begins.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Just to build on your reply.
Wonder how many asteroids would be needed to build a "habital ring" around the sun at approx. earth's orbit?
This would allow man a more accessable living space to which we could migrate over the next few million years. It would not have to actually have contact with the planet, just be close enough for a short ride.
Solar powered and enclude an earthly environment, It would answer many of our current problems with living space.
Talk about the mother of all government infrastructure projects.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I am no "Mooner" as you put it....I am merely stating the facts....we have no vehicle capable right now to get humans out of LEO...let alone travel to Mars. Nor is there any funding for such a challenge. It would cost trillions...money that certainly the US does not have.

Doesn't matter what was done 40+ years ago....those days are long gone.

Even if there was the political will (which there isn't) it would take a decade or more to develop and test the equipment needed.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadcalm
reply to post by smurfy

I am no "Mooner" as you put it....I am merely stating the facts....we have no vehicle capable right now to get humans out of LEO...let alone travel to Mars. Nor is there any funding for such a challenge. It would cost trillions...money that certainly the US does not have.

Doesn't matter what was done 40+ years ago....those days are long gone.

Even if there was the political will (which there isn't) it would take a decade or more to develop and test the equipment needed.
It will not cost trillions and this is not about getting to mars. they do not plan on going to mars as far as we know at the moment but they are developing a new heavy lift rocket with more capabilities than the Saturn V (the SLS program & the Orion spacecraft) the plan for the 2020s is they want to capture an asteroid and place it in lunar orbit and take samples. The capture of the asteroid is planned on being done by an unmanned spacecraft and the actual crewed flight would just be conducted in lunar orbit which was done numerous times in the 60's & 70's with a budget that costs as much as the entire space shuttle program. Only this time there would be financial gain & a bonus of scientific exploration in mind. This mission will help us learn about asteroid re directing and help us mine for valuables to help our economy in the future.
edit on 30-4-2014 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: paranormal78
I'm a huge fan of space exploration & after hearing about NASA's asteroid initiative it sounds like the most useful mission in space exploration because one; we can learn how to redirect an asteroid saving earth and two; we can mine it for billions and maybe even trillions of dollars worth of minerals like gold and other valuable metals. Now we just need a safe, reliable way to extract and retrieve an asteroids minerals. With this new approach in space exploration america could be much closer to paying off its 17 trillion dollar debt. In fact most of the resources mined on earth like gold and iron have come from asteroid impacts throughout history. Congress wouldn't have any reason to object to an asteroid mission especially if there's resources involved (basically it's a mission that pays for itself) so it looks like a for sure thing now with NASA & the government.

There are two companies in my town of Seattle who are going to be mining asteroids.

Here is one of them:

More on all of this:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join