It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job Opening...Please provide your Facebook Account and Headshot.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

All good points.

I have hired many people for this type of job.

The only thing they did that affected me was to call in sick.

That is what the hot girls did. I learned after many attempts to not care what they looked like.

I cared if I was going to be the one saying "May I take your order".

But, your last line is how I live my life. Never work for anyone else.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

whyamIhere
reply to post by BurningSpearess

It is in So. California...

I was in this industry for many years.

They are looking for hot young women. They think it sells booze.

Show me a hot young woman...

I will show you somebody that probably doesn't want to work Fri & Sat every weekend.

In my experience.

From personal experience...."hot young women" do not sell more booze. They cheapen your place, give less than stellar service, and fight amongst themselves all the time. In the F&B world, a group of "hot young" cocktails in a bar/restaurant are metaphorically called "diva's".

I have worked in a shop that had diva's in the bar. I was more than happy to let attrition resolve that particular staffing issue on its own.

Hahahaha!

Try working in a strip club!!! All you hear is feral cats growling at each other all night!

With that being said, beauty (even though it is the make up) does serve a purpose in different types of businesses, but it does come with some serious and I mean SERIOUS DRAMA!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Lots of companies stalk their employes Facebook pages. Drunken selfies every other night go a long way to help decide who is going to get a promotion. Hmmm, little league coach or alcoholic? Think I'll choose the sober guy.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
In some instances it's not really that big of a deal, I'm in school right now for computer industry certifications, I already have my Network + , and my CCENT certifications which I had to take a picture and show my I'D just to take the certification test, and I will have to take another picture and show my ID when I go in for my CCNA certification test next month. I see it as proof of my grades and everything else that goes with it. My certifications are proof of who I am and that I'm qualified for certain responsibilities.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

minusinfinity
reply to post by BurningSpearess

What I was saying.

If you walk into a restaurant and the host/hostess is a buck toothed, cross eyed, drooling idiot with a booger hanging out of his/her nose are you going to be hungry? On the other hand if the person is attractive and professional wouldn't you feel more at ease?

Say what you will but you know the truth. It's okay.

Honestly if you had the choice between having a one night stand with a super sexy dumb person or a super smart ugly person who would you choose?

edit on 16-4-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

But where does the OP say restaurant?

S/He indicates "entertainment establishment"...

I plead the 5th on your last question as I wouldn't ever have a one night stand, ha!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

whyamIhere

ladyteeny
someone i know went for a job interview in wales and they wanted her facebook LOGIN AND PASSWORD!!! AND password!!! wtf!!!

People should make a second FB account for employers.

This is beyond ridiculous. I would not work for anyone asking these questions.

Password? No Way

That's actually an excellent suggestion in relation to this topic...

Don't really know if 2 separate accounts will make a darn bit of difference in the grand scheme of things (NSA, big brother, etc,) though...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I put my Facebook on lockdown for this very reason and got rid of Linked-In and Careerbuilder and all sorts of stuff. I don't have a twitter account, my Google account is locked down as well.

Some companies these days are asking for Facebook logins. I have been told to simply refuse and to say that it is because giving out your login credentials, even to a potential employer, is an online security risk and that, nothing personal or offense intended, but it sounds like an excellent social engineering technique for a hacker to use and commit identity theft.

If they don't appreciate that, then you don't need to be working for them, anyways, unless you are absolutely, completely desperate, because a company, hiring manager, or boss that doesn't appreciate being security conscious is represents a major liability to you as an employee.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Good for you OP!

I'm sick of all of the superficial social media crap. Freaking voyeurs and gawkers - everyone.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I just had a thought on this. I have a FB acct. mostly to keep in touch with family and see what my daughters are up too. (not necessarily a good decision)

I didnt read the T&Cs there. I wonder if it is a violation to give login and password out?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I completely disagree with a potential employer asking for a potential hire's FB account, but really all they have to do is google the person's name. In my experience, people who are stupid enough to post pictures of themselves doing illegal/questionable activities that an employer would want to avoid are also not smart enough to hide their profiles using privacy settings.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
It's illegal for places to request photo with resume. Plus why would anyone want to give your photo to anyone they don't know. It's a job but is it a reputable place? Too many times people feel like they are in a beggar's position: don't rock the boat. I say that knowing some people are desperate for work. The company that I want to work for will have a paycheck ready for me, they will have protection for me as am employee, etc., etc. A place that wants to see a photo of me sounds iffy - something "scammish" about it.

Having photos before seeing the real person provides a basis for discrimination, they have no basis to tell of your aptitude for the job and they can do whatever they want with that photo after. You wouldn't hand out your kid's photo so why would you hand out yours. As well they now know who you are with all your particulars and you don't know who they are and so one day you're walking down the street and they run into you. They now have the advantage over you, ie: stalking, knowing where you live, it can cause a situation. I have worked in the advertising industry and this is why photos are illegal.

Facebook: I have an account but under a pretend name, etc. And as an extra precaution I don't put negative comments about companies or anyone I have any personal or work related communications with. And no one has the right to personal passwords, etc. Who do they think they are?

Yeah this offends me, the idea that a place would think they have the right to either.

P.S. for those types of jobs where they do need to see a photo then it should be stated in the posting, ie: model position. And in that case people would/should have a photo portfolio where you look your best because in this case it is the face/look the company is after.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I do not use social media, but i have heard from many sources that many employers will not hire if you do not have a FB account in which they can judge you on. That is very frightening imo.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I know when i was getting into LE they were asking guys their facebook password in their presence..then loading up their facebook page and going through it together....even anything you had private or hidden...such bs.....

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Probable good too have AT LEAST 2 Facebook id's with a duff name and say to anyone who demand's it Facebook god that is for old people everyone is TWITTERING these days get with the programme DUDE .

I have account's that have been dormant for ages [common surname helps ] look like billy no mates but it will throw any potential employer of the track plausible deniability all the way

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

ccseagull
It's illegal for places to request photo with resume.

I don't believe it is illegal. If you can cite the specific law, I will stand corrected.

However, the fact that a picture was requested could be used as evidence of intent to discriminate in any subsequent lawsuit. It wouldn't, by itself, prove anything, but in combination with other evidence it could show a pattern of discrimination.

For example, if a company had a greater percentage of minority employees than the surrounding population, you would be hard-pressed to prove that a photo of you as a minority were discriminated against, but if it had a statistically lower percent than the surrounding area, that fact, along with the required picture, could prove intent to discriminate. A good lawyer would certainly hammer on both those points before a jury.

BTW, being a minority puts you in a "protected class." Being ugly does not. It is not illegal to discriminate against ugly people.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I am totally against giving a potential employer my FB username and password. I also believe that a person's personal life is none of their business as long as they are capable of doing their job and showing up on time. So what if a person likes to get drunk every weekend instead of coaching little league? What if the first guy is better at doing the job than the guy coaching little league?

Are they going to pay me for coaching little league? If not, then they can suck it. People deserve to do what they please in their free time. We don't need corporations controlling another aspect of our life.
edit on 16-4-2014 by freetheuniverse because: more ranting

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Hey Schuyler - you got me thinking... it's been a while since I was involved. Came up with this. Anyway I found a bit of info. Whether it's a strictly enforced law or not just remember to protect yourselves people.

www.eeoc.gov...
Pre-Employment Inquiries (General)
As a general rule, the information obtained and requested through the pre-employment process should be limited to those essential for determining if a person is qualified for the job; whereas, information regarding race, sex, national origin, age, and religion are irrelevant in such determinations.
Employers are explicitly prohibited from making pre-employment inquiries about disability.
Although state and federal equal opportunity laws do not clearly forbid employers from making pre-employment inquiries that relate to, or disproportionately screen out members based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, or age, such inquiries may be used as evidence of an employer's intent to discriminate unless the questions asked can be justified by some business purpose.
Therefore, inquiries about organizations, clubs, societies, and lodges of which an applicant may be a member or any other questions, which may indicate the applicant's race, sex, national origin, disability status, age, religion, color or ancestry if answered, should generally be avoided.
Similarly, employers should not ask for a photograph of an applicant. If needed for identification purposes, a photograph may be obtained after an offer of employment is made and accepted.

As part of U-T San Diego's new jobs beat, we're taking questions from readers on anything about the job market, and running them by our experts.
Today's question comes from Kevin Leonard of Chula Vista. Leonard said he came across a recent posting on Craigslist that, as part of the application, asked for a picture of the applicant. The job was for a customer service/general office worker. Leonard wanted to know if the request was legal, so we ran it by Dan Eaton, an attorney who represents employers for the San Diego firm Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek:
Dan Eaton, a San diego employment attorney at Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek. — Courtesy www.utsandiego.com...
Send us any of your questions or concerns about the job market and we'll try our best to get them answered. E-mail me at [email protected].
Q: Can an employer request a photo of an applicant in a job ad?
A: It's illegal to ask for a photo in connection with a job application. It could disclose, for example, race and ethnicity, and act as an unlawful screening mechanism. Department of Fair Employment Housing regulations forbid it.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Any job that requires you to have farcebook is NOT a job worth having .. there is no reason for companies to dictate / monitor what employees do when theyre off work ..
Things like this make me glad Im retired and dont have to deal with the idiocy. Never had never will have farcebook.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

whyamIhere
I saw several jobs listed at an Entertainment Establishment.

I am not looking for a job but it was listed on FB so I took a look at it.

To my amazement there it was...Please provide a link to your FB account.

I had heard that it was going on. It was just shocking to see it.

They also asked for a Headshot. This too kind of got to me.

So, I decided to call the Parent Company. I don't want to say their name (possible T&C violation).

I finally got the person in charge.

I ask them why they think what somebody does off the clock is their business?

He immediately launched into a babble filled excuse that sounded ridiculous and illegal.

Something about they were not looking at appearance but to get a gauge on the applicant.

I quickly called BS. Then he muttered something about how narrow it was between tables.

I told him I would not be visiting anytime soon. He offered me Free Passes. No Thanks.

We ended the call. Then I noticed within an hour the post was removed.

Today a brand new ad appeared without these two requests.

I kind of feel like this is a small victory. Should potential employers ask for this information?

I think it is Orwellian....Thoughts?

Sounds like offshoot participation of the FBI program for facial recog

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ccseagull

Perfect example. Thanks for bringing it up. The EEOC is advising employers here to be careful. Asking for a pic is not in itself illegal, but it can be used as evidence of discrimination. They are saying here, "You really shouldn't do it," but they are not saying, "You CAN'T do it." It's not explicitly in the law. There's some other stuff that could show discrimination, too, even though it doesn't put you in a "protected class." For example, my wife and I had a brand new baby. She had a job interview and, being naïve, "we" took the baby to the interview. Not exactly: I stayed outside with the baby in a reception area while she went in to the interview. One of the questions she was asked, for a school teacher position no less, was,

"What are you going to do about HER?"

It was stupid for us to have brought the baby--or me--along, but is also CLEARLY was an illegal question to refer to "family status" at all. She did not get the job, but it all worked out eventually. We could have pursued the issue, but sometimes that isn't the smartest move either. She eventually got a job with the district and taught there many years. And the baby is now 33.

The thing is, if you've got an FB page, this is the kind of thing people tend to post. Even if the prospective employer doesn't have your exact FB particulars, he can still find it. If your settings are public (and most people's are) asking for an FB password is a moot point. The stuff people put on FB is utterly amazing sometimes, but it's your "right" to show the world how stupid and ignorant you are. And employers have the right to take such evidence into account.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join