It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be Happy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The honorable Dalai Lama was asked the meaning of life

The simple man said
"I believe that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness”

The mystic Meher Baba also was reported to have advised his follower’s one edict

“Be Happy”

Of course it’s not as simple as that since life has its varying degrees of complexity that often clouds our sight.

That is the great mystery how to acquire and maintain this happiness

I think the start is cultivating in ones heart and mind unity, love, compassion, tolerance and understanding.
And with that having the knowledge that Rome wasn’t built in a day and one has to create this happiness.

When that happens in the world
then we can all dance together!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You forgot this!!!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What about people who are happy hurting others?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Happiness is also having meaning in ones life. It seems to me without meaning there is no happiness.

Or we make happiness out of meaning Does that make sense.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
And of course there is family.

For some this doesn’t work out too well. Like myself who is from a broken family.

Then perhaps we have to join the whole family of humanity then to get our needs fulfilled.

When the world gets all its Sisters together believe me things will fall into place...true happiness will proceed like flowing water in a stream

It’s a science!

edit on 16-4-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

The honorable Dalai Lama was asked the meaning of life

The simple man said
"I believe that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness”

Wow, I'm surprised that The Dalai Lama said this. Isn't Buddhism about the end of seeking (yearning/desiring)?

If seeking happiness worked, everyone would be happy by now.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If you focus on your immediate circle, those who you have a little power to bring happiness to, then start there.

They, in turn, will pay it forward. What we project, they, hopefully will reflect to others around them. And on it goes.

Just try. A little goes a long way.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme

Wow, I'm surprised that The Dalai Lama said this. Isn't Buddhism about the end of seeking (yearning/desiring)?

If seeking happiness worked, everyone would be happy by now.

Buddhism is more about the realization that man, in his infinite wisdom, has infinite desire. All forms of material happiness, even forms of mental happiness, will simply lead to the person getting "bored" and moving on to find a new form of happiness.

Because of this endless desire, the key is not happiness so much as contentment. I believe that His Holiness said this because happiness does indeed sum up the principle for the most part without having to go into an elaboration on the subject of contentment.

To me his words speak of becoming content with your situation regardless of what's going on. This happens by freeing one's self from attachment and judgement, similar to how a child can find "happiness" in anything they do from picking grass to running around to looking at rocks.
edit on 19-4-2014 by Kroovistos because: S&G

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

This is a great thread, love the thought process of the Dali Lama!

We often get so caught up in future tripping, making money and saving for the future instead of focusing on the here and now.

I had a really god paying job with the most amazing benefits but my life was miserable. I discovered being a corporate robot is just not for me. The job I have now doesn't have the best pay or benefits but my life is so much more fulfilling. I can be myself and be valued for who I and the contributions I make, rather than who I'm expected to be. We each have to find our own path in life and what makes one person happy may make someone else miserable.

This is my favorite words of wisdom from the Dali Lama, gave me the courage I needed to make necessary changes in my life.

This ones a nice reminder too

edit on 19-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: added and edited out

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Happiness comes from within, it's something we each have to do for ourselves. Expecting other people to make you happy is short selling yourself. The only one who can make you happy is you. (Not you specifically but in general)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Hi. I notice when I love a family member or my wife unconditionally even when they are not in a loving place something amazing happpens every time. Then when I follow it with daily gratitude and appreciation. : DaphneApollo

top topics

join