It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you live on Florida or the East Coast, go outside and check out the sun...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
A Sun Halo is something that is not seen too often but is very cool to see. I stepped out to take out the dogs and noticed an odd ring around the sun. Very cool looking!

I got some cool pics...awesome looking phenom.

SEE PICS BELOW..(or it didn't happen i know)
edit on 04pm30pmf0000002014-04-16T13:19:38-05:000138 by matafuchs because: edit

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

matafuchs
A Sun Halo is something that is not seen too often but is very cool to see. I stepped out to take out the dogs and noticed an odd ring around the sun. Very cool looking!

I got some cool pics...awesome looking phenom.

Dogs walking, sun shining.

was it a Sun Dog you saw when you walked your dog in the afternoon sun?

Where are the pics?
edit on 16-4-2014 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
There has been a lot of little flares rattling the son over the last three hours or so. I wonder if it is related. There was a lot of flares, actually a whole face eruption, a few years ago and it made a very pronounced ring around the sun. Took them months to tell us about that one, my daughter called and told me to look at it. My son-in-law had called her, the construction crew he was on was all looking at it.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

This is one from the phone...I cannot get to my Nikon yet...I am doing some time lapse...

Sun dogs occur closer to the horizon...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

rickymouse
There has been a lot of little flares rattling the son over the last three hours or so. I wonder if it is related. There was a lot of flares, actually a whole face eruption, a few years ago and it made a very pronounced ring around the sun. Took them months to tell us about that one, my daughter called and told me to look at it. My son-in-law had called her, the construction crew he was on was all looking at it.

Sundogs, parhelia, are formed by plate crystals high in the cirrus clouds that occur world-wide. In cold climates the plates can also be in ground level as diamond dust.

www.atoptics.co.uk...

Halos

halos are a sign of high thin cirrus clouds drifting 20,000 feet or more above our heads.

These clouds contain millions of tiny ice crystals. The halos you see are caused by both refraction, or splitting of light, and also by reflection, or glints of light from these ice crystals. The crystals have to be oriented and positioned just so with respect to your eye, in order for the halo to appear.

earthsky.org...

In other words, rickymouse, no it's not from solar flares.
edit on 4/16/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Very cool!

I think that's a relatively local phenomena so glad you posted the pic.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

matafuchs

This is one from the phone...I cannot get to my Nikon yet...I am doing some time lapse...

Sun dogs occur closer to the horizon...

Hey you also caught Nibiru in that pic

Brilliant pics, amazing sight

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Hey you also caught Nibiru in that pic

Ssshhhh.

That word has been fairly absent for a while on this site.
Don't go re-igniting that planet which is not a planet/savior/doom/Anunaki/it's in every sun photo Bomb.
Please.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Sorry, No Nib...that is my friendly 5S lens flare...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

The sky is blue yet there's a haze filtering the sun. I remember once upon a time you could see the full disk of the sun very clearly. Now notsomuch :inky:

*not sure why the upload is not oriented correctly and not sure how to fix it.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

For a phone, that's a great shot

Better than any I've managed of halos

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
First a red moon then sun halos and sun dogs right before Easter?

Sounds a little spooky.

(Thanks 4 the pics very cool.)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Although the Halo is reliant on ice crystals in the atmosphere or the presence of certain clouds, increasing the suns energy allows us to see the halo sometimes if conditions are right. This means there can be a relationship between increased energy after a flare and seeing a halo. The halo may have not have been as noticeable if the flare hadn't occurred. It is the interaction with the atmosphere that is relevant.

I read an article about this a few years back. I don't remember the source, but I usually pay more attention to scientific sites. I was trying to find an article directly showing this relationship but couldn't seem to find one to add with this today. I'll stumble across it again. Wording on the search is what is important in searching the net, it's not a good wording day for me today.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Wha? What's with the new reply drop-down?

A few weeks ago I saw the best moon-dog circle I've ever seen, quite an experience. Almost as good as the new drop-down.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join