It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Congressman writes legislation to deny Eric Holder his salary

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
U.S. Congressman Blake Farenthold (R, TX) has put forth legislation to somehow "Hold" up paychecks to officials who are found to be in Contempt of Congress.

Can't find the actual text, but it seems the Congressman is one that "Had Words" with Eric Holder in a recent Congressional hearing.

Obviously this is directed at Eric Holder and if something like this passes, it could be a useful tool to get officials to tell the truth and to actually answer questions without the deflections like we've seen lately.

Mr. Farenthold calls it stonewalling.

Maybe this is good?

A Republican congressman has introduced a bill that would stop government paychecks for officials who have been found in contempt of Congress — a move that seems designed in the short term to go after Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.

Mr. Holder has refused to cooperate with House Republicans’ probe into the Fast & Furious gun-walking operation, and the House has voted to find him in contempt. Mr. Holder is challenging that vote in court.

Rep. Blake Farenthold, a Texas Republican who publicly excoriated Mr. Holder at a hearing last week, introduced the legislation just before Congress went on vacation, and announced it Tuesday.

So we have a Congressman named Farenthold who wants to hold paychecks from Eric Holder.

Maybe both should hold their tongues next time they meet.

GOP writes legislation to deny Eric Holder his salary

edit on Apr-16-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Likely nothing more than a publicity stunt. At this point in Amerikan history, I think it's safe to say most of this bipartisan bickering is for show.

If these criminals in Congress want me to believe any of them are genuine honest human beings, I'm going to need to see more real action than this.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Holder should be criminally charged. He's an arrogant ass unfit to hold public office.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Holder's problem is not his Black skin.

The problem is his thin skin.

(Note: Not my original quote, but I like it).

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

He never deserved his salary in the first place. Most people have to do their JOB to get paid... That is of course unless you work for the U.S gov't...

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Yes. This is a very efficient use of tax-payer money. The guy may be doing a sucky job, and he may even in fact be a criminal. But usually, when somebody wants to garnish your wages, they have to show WHY you owe that money. Good luck republican doo-doo head! And thanks, for exactly NOTHING! How about concentrating on important stuff, like, getting your employee's and they're credit cards under control! No? Oh right, running for re-election, that's your job. Running the government, not so much, right? When people show up for work, even if they suck at it, you have to pay them. Not to do so would be a crime, but your a politician, so I'm sure your VERY familiar with what a criminal activity is !

edit on 4162014 by tencap77 because: Spelling.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
While this sounds like a good idea.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Why stop at Holder? He should include all members of congress because all of them are useless.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I can see it now... "Eric Holder: Making me work without pay? Thats RACIST SLAVERY!"
Firepiston

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Maybe a NEW bill should be enacted that stops the paycheck of ANY member of the entire government system that is found in contempt of doing their job or not doing it in the best interest of the PEOPLE. We should have that right without a bill - we cut the checks!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

buster2010
Why stop at Holder? He should include all members of congress because all of them are useless.

Add everyone in the Administration to that list, please. Equally useless and uselessly equal.

They should simply pass a bill that ousts any federal official found in contempt from their position automatically, also negating their retirement, their health care, and all other benefits they're paid to (allegedly) serve the American people. If you cannot do you job, you should be shown the door. If you won't walk to the door, your ass should be kicked/dragged there and you should be thrown out that door with great contempt and spite.
edit on 16-4-2014 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Maybe this is good?

There are no maybe's about it.

It is a good start.

Now what they need to do is follow through, and throw one of the biggest LAW BREAKERS where he belongs. In prison.

Right along with his boss.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The whole damned administration needs to be.

Fire them all...

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

JonButtonIII
Likely nothing more than a publicity stunt. At this point in Amerikan history, I think it's safe to say most of this bipartisan bickering is for show.

Hey, if while throwing crap at each other, the two parties manage to once and a while hit something thats actually a good thing,

This would be one of those times.
edit on 16-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
As Neo said, this would be a good start.
What I would also like to see....
Evaluations- I am pretty sure most of us get evaluated on our job performance in order to get a pay increase.
They should set the base pay for Congress at 80k (still too high in my opinion).
Each year they should get an evaluation, done online, by the people of their district/state. If they do good then they get a pay increase. If they do poorly then they get zilch.
They should be capped at 110k (again, still to high in my opinion).
This would be a good alternative to term limits.

Another thing that WE, as a country, need to find a way to address is Lobbyists.
You can hold someone's pay but if they are still making more off of crooked deals and special interests then you really are not hurting them at all.
Quad

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

DE-FUNDING an individual Cabinet member? I like it, but Mr. Farenthold should be careful of what he asks for... there may be a federal initiative passed around and a bunch of petitions for a line-item on the November 2016 ballot. I'd like to vote yes on Proposition Number NOT. Like not pay them when they don't work for us.. and jettison them like space feces when they are caught working for themselves or some other interest than the peeps'.

EDIT:: Sorry X, I forgot to say I bumped your OP. Sometimes it's a thankless job-- but I have to thank you when my oxygen supply miraculously recharges. Old = must sleep now
edit on 16-4-2014 by derfreebie because: Forgettus Maximus

edit on 16-4-2014 by derfreebie because: "What was I on?" Crusty the Clown

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
S & F
There's another reason not to pay him, any and all work he does do, it's always against what the average American wants.

Let's not pay either of them, they don't work for us anyway, it's never their fault or they don't remember.

edit on 17-4-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I read the first line of your OP, and sure enough: R-TX. A Republican from Texas, exactly as I guessed by your headline.

Texas politicians have gone round the bend. IMHO

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs
I read the first line of your OP, and sure enough: R-TX. A Republican from Texas, exactly as I guessed by your headline.

Texas politicians have gone round the bend. IMHO

Certainly a brilliant observation there.

What's your humble opinion of the fact that Eric Holder, the Attorney General of the United States is currently in Contempt of Congress?

Why isn't he "cooperating" to bring forth the obvious and proven criminal activities inside the U.S. Executive Branch of government?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I made another reply in another thread that explains my position more fully, please refer to it. www.abovetopsecret.com...
For more info on my opinions, feel free to read my post history.
edit on 4/17/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

Ack. Okay, I got confused between the threads.....there's also a part I posted over there that I want to add here:

I agree with the above members who suggest that ALL of Congress having their pay withheld...INCLUDING the R-TX who suggested this vapid partisan idea. ALL OF THEM.
edit on 4/17/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join