It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobby Lobby’s Steve Green launches a New Project: Public School Bible Curriculum

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Agreed.

We need to spend more time and money teaching children about "my two mommies", abortion, how to put on a condom, bullies, how bad the founding fathers were, how awesome Obama is, etc.

(WTF ever happened to reading, writing, arithmetic?)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

beezzer
Agreed.

We need to spend more time and money teaching children about "my two mommies", abortion, how to put on a condom, bullies, how bad the founding fathers were, how awesome Obama is, etc.

I'd rather our teenagers were being taught about the importance of social tolerance, dealing with bullies, that our founding fathers weren't perfect and even owned slaves, family planning responsibilities and methods and respect for our elected and appointed officials, than pseudo science, talking snakes and curses and zombies walking around Jerusalem in 33 AD!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

windword

beezzer
Agreed.

I'd rather our teenagers were being taught about the importance of social tolerance, dealing with bullies, that our founding fathers weren't perfect and even owned slaves, family planning responsibilities and methods and respect for our elected and appointed officials, than pseudo science, talking snakes and curses and zombies walking around Jerusalem in 33 AD!

Crap all over the bible if you wish, but once you start trashing zombies, you've crossed the line.

*mod alert*

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Crap all over the bible if you wish, but once you start trashing zombies

One of the most fascinating books from my childhood was "The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights". I don't recall any zombies walking about, but those flying carpets and Genii popping in and out lamps sure were fun! The imagination could go wild, but there was no social pressure associated with those flights of fantasy.

edit on 16-4-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

It's funny, I decided to look up the history of the word bloody to help educate you, but I just ended up schooling myself and learned that what I said is probably just an urban legend.

What's the origin of the British slang word "bloody"?

When we first got this question, I thought "No problem!" I was sure I already knew the answer, and that it has to do with the blood of Christ, and became a "naughty" word because it was blasphemous. Other, more depraved members of the SDSAB were sure it had to do with menstrual blood.

Turns out we were all wrong. According to the Oxford English Dictionary:

See I was (probably) wrong.

The OED says the origin is uncertain, but possibly refers to "bloods" (aristocratic rowdies) of the late 17th-early 18th centuries ... "bloody drunk" arising from '"drunk as a blood" ... and the association with bloody battle, bloody butcher, etc., "appealed to the imagination of the rough classes." They add, "There is no ground for the notion that 'bloody', offensive as ... it is now to polite ears, contains any profane allusion or has connection with the oath ' 's blood!', referring to the blood of Jesus."

As a fan of spreading truth and not ignorance I apologize for the misinformation.
edit on 16-4-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

how bad the founding fathers were, how awesome Obama is

Flag on the field!

What are you talking about? Who said anything about the Founding Fathers being bad? Or about Awesomeness of Obama??

Did you seriously alert the mods? I don't get you, beezzer.

You want us all to go back and hastily retract the entire thread?
Really?

We know you hate Obama. That has nowt/nothing/zip/nada to do with teaching kids the Bible is "all true".

link   
I hope that if by any chance he is able to buy what he wants in the legislature, that they tack an additional bill to his plan covering elective classes in all religions and belief systems.

Our Bill of Right the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution were based upon a similar document already adopted and primarily documented by Thomas Jefferson. In response to the first Amendment of the Virginia version of the first amendment he had this to say which gives an idea of what the Framers of Our Constitution had in mind when they implemented this government

"[When] the [Virginia] bill for establishing religious freedom... was finally passed,... a singular proposition proved that its protection of opinion was meant to be universal. Where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the word "Jesus Christ," so that it should read "a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion." The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its protection the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination." --Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821. ME 1:67

Personalty I am beginning to believe that Steve Green is not thinking in terms of religious principles, because those should not be forced and his business while he loudly proclaims to the government that his company is based on Christian Values so he does not wish to provide birth control products and pills......While at the same time he is earning his fortune through his interests in the very companies that manufacture and produce and sell them

In essence he is outright lying to the supreme court right now because his love of that dollar supersedes his supposed Christian Values, and allows him in good conscience to have a part in the manufacture, production and sale of these drugs.

It's not about Religion, it's not about Faith, it's all about power and money

link   
So not only does this guy want his employees to live by his religious beliefs he now wants to force a book of fairy tales on the kids in public schools. Why not show the Star War series in school and claim they tell the history of a galaxy far far away? Or have them read the Hobbit series and claim it tells the history of middle age earth. Green's elevator clearly doesn't go to the top floor.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I think he is using some literary devices to show the hypocrisy of the left by denouncing right wing propaganda in religion but at the same time propagandizing their own "religion" that Obama is awesome. It's a valid observation, but has little to do with the OP.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs
reply to post by beezzer

how bad the founding fathers were, how awesome Obama is

Flag on the field!

What are you talking about? Who said anything about the Founding Fathers being bad? Or about Awesomeness of Obama??

Did you seriously alert the mods? I don't get you, beezzer.

You want us all to go back and hastily retract the entire thread?
Really?

We know you hate Obama. That has nowt/nothing/zip/nada to do with teaching kids the Bible is "all true".

I see you didn't get the memo. Obama is the blame for everything past and present because don't forget he is a MK ultra with a time machine given to him by the CIA.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have to say, I love me some Hobby Lobby. Unless you live in a pretty big town in Oklahoma, it is probably your only choice for a craft store. They have some of the neatest stuff - and you will pay thru the nose for it. But it is a terrific store.

Having said that, this Green fellow is taking it way too far. I think he was thrust into the limelight over not wanting the company health insurance to pay for contraceptives and he found out that liked being in that limelight. Now he is looking for more of the same.

A lot of people don't realize that Oklahoma in general is bible belt central. I think this must be the most God-fearing state in the Union. I live in a town of about 25000 people, and one of the first questions anyone will ask you is "Where do you go to church?" Now then, I have nothing against religion; I believe (but I have my own ideas, thoughts and interpretation of the bible - and they are probably so odd that I will never fit into any particular religion), and I even belong to a church, although I do not attend. In our small-ish town, we have over 100 churches within the city limits. There are probably another 50 to 100 out in the surrounding countryside. We have a "biker church," a "cowboy church"....nearly a church for every type of person out there.

On top of all that, we have numerous religious schools, Christian schools and church-affiliated schools. If you want your child to be taught in a strictly Christian environment, pony up the dough and send them to a religious school. You even can choose which denomination...Catholic, Baptist, Non-denominational, etc...

Lastly, there is no reason for this class. If anything, they should develop and incorporate a "religious studies" class. I should think a class that covers many religions would teach a kid more than a class that only covers the bible and Christianity. Why limit what the kids study??? In any given public classroom in the state of Oklahoma, I would bet that the majority of students ARE Christians...why not expose them to something different and broaden their horizons?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I"m pretty sure Beezer was just being his silly ole self. But, you never know. LOL

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

As a fan of spreading truth and not ignorance I apologize for the misinformation.

Oh, now....no apology required. You actually asked a question that was valid, and I said I didn't know either, and you clarified it for all of us!

THAT is what this site is about, I thought!!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

I don't hate Obama.

I don't know Obama.

I just hate his policies.

My post goes towards, teaching anything but actual items that could enable the student.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
*sigh* this story....its like...my hands are tired of typing the same crap again and again to these mindsets...

Its like...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Okay then. THANKS! Sorry for misinterpreting.

I think school should be for academics such as "the three Rs'", science, ACTUAL history, and also teaching personal finance, etc.
We don't need the Bible in our schools. It's plenty out there as it is.
Again, as an elective? No problem. As a requisite, I have issues with it.
A 'comparative religions' class would be better - like it or not, we are not going to make the world "Christian", much as some deep-pocketed zealots would like it to happen.

We should, however, be teaching that the USA is not, and never was a "Christian nation". And, with any luck and the power of free speech, never will be. My opinion only, and worth what you paid for it - and probably what I paid to write it. Which is nothing. I love ATS!

("Hobby Lobbyists." Heheh....I crack myself up sometimes.
)

edit on 4/16/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I hope he not a gun advocate, cause the Sun of God, wasnt into swords. After he said , ye who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

Meaning, if you wanna advocate swords..Then you`d best die for it.

Like samurai.

edit on 16-4-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Man, some people make all posts about Obama, im glad these people don't enter the science forum, the only forum that is Obama hate free.
Its like Obama hater and science dont get along! Which is perfect for me, considering that is my fav forum!

Osama Bin Laden goes down, "You didn't do that Obama!"

Man trips on a cracked pavement under current administration. "Obama injures a law abiding Citizen!" lol

inb4 more people use "his policies" to hate everything he does. Good or Bad.
edit on 4/16/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

It seem that hating on Obama has become a religious ritual in and of itself, especially among the religious right.

Can you even be called a Christian these days if you don't hate Obama?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm getting pretty sick of all the things people are trying to push on to the kids in school.

One side is trying to force religion down their throats and the other side, as Beezzer pointed out, is pushing sex issues (including abortion, condoms, etc) and a crap ton of irrelevant politically-correct curriculum that is better taught at home...not in school.

In the meantime, our children have a hard time reading, writing and doing simple math problems.

But hey, who needs to know how to read as long as they know how to put on a condom and believe the universe was created in 6 days?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join