It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A-6 with thrust vectoring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Now this is interesting. I had never heard about this before. When the A-6 Intruder was originally designed, one of the requirements put forward by the Navy was a STOL capability. Even though it would almost always be flown off a carrier deck, they still wanted to have the ability for short take-offs. So Northrop Grumman, complied with the request.

The YA2F-1 (original designation), was designed with the same exhaust design, but with the ability to turn downward up to 23 degrees. It used non-afterburning J-52 engines, producing a total of 18,600 lbs of thrust. In testing however, it was decided that the benefits didn't outweigh the complexity. The take-off benefit was highest at light weight, and the landing speed was only slowed by a few knots.

As with so many military aircraft designs, the A-6 Intruder, known originally as the YA2F-1, had some pretty ambitious features that never really panned out. The jet's swiveling exhausts were one of them.

The mid to late 1950's were an incredible time for aerospace engineering as the world came to grips with the vast possibilities that jet power provided. The A-6 Intruder came out of a requirement for a deep penetrating all-weather precision attack platform. As part of this requirement, the Navy wanted the aircraft to be capable of short takeoffs and landings (STOL), even though it would mainly be hurtled from the decks of aircraft carriers via steam catapults and "trapped" back on deck via the use of a hook and arresting cable. Nonetheless, Grumman moved forward with the design requirements and came up with the Intruder's unique silhouette that some describe as "a flying tadpole."

foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Did a double take when I saw the title. I was right in knowing what the A-6 was. Nice find Zaphod!

Did more of a double take when I saw thrust vectoring and A-6 in the same sentence.
edit on 16-4-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I always liked the A-6, never realized it was supposed to have thrust vectoring. Learn something new everyday, thanks for the interesting read.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Very cool Zap! I had never heard of this and I loved the "Double Ugly"
Seems they should have been able to make this work with a little more time and budget. Anyway my favorite part of the A6 was the wing. It was cutting edge and influenced the F14. Man that thing could carry payload.

My favorite quote from the comments section of your link.

Bunty BrownUTyler Rogoway
4/09/14 7:43am
I read this headline just as Danger Zone came on my Pandora 80s station. I highly recommend reading the article as it plays. Preferably wearing Aviators.

which made me want to ask..

Do you keep a pair of aviators on you at all times?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

They would have had to go with a bigger engine, probably afterburning for the take off. The landing speed would require a lot of changes probably.

And no, no I don't keep a pair of aviators on me at all times. I'm too cool for them.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

You learn something everyday, cheers for that.

50's aircraft must be up there for innovation. The variable incidence wing of the crusader is one of my favs.

edit on 16-4-2014 by helldiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The Intruder has always been on my all time fav's list. I remember buying, it think it was a Revel plastic model of an A-6A from a Rexal drug store by my house when I was about 9 yrs old. In the bio about the aircraft in the box, the nozels were discussed, and I thought that was pretty cool. It was still hanging from the ceiling in my room when I went away to boot camp for the NAVY. Wasn't there when I got back. Think my parents gave it to a kid upstairs or something like that.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They proposed a return to thrust vectoring later with f404s with ADEN nozzles in the early 80's. The result was supposed to be an impressive landing speed and resulting much higher gross weight capability at landing (bringing back ordinance/fuel/pods/etc). There are pictures floating around somewhere of various models so equipped.

Now you need to get someone to show you the "stealthy" A-6 pitched by Grumman as the ATA alternative

new topics

top topics

join