It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican Search for Life Beyond Our Solar System & Nicest Neighborhoods in the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

With NASA announcing a new press conference announcing Kepler discoveries, to take place tomorrow (or later today depending on whee you are in the world) I thought it might be cool to draw your attention to two informative videos.

The first breaks down pretty much what we know thus far about potentially habitable exoplanets in clear, easily understood terms with a bit of humor thrown in:

The second was from a Google Hangout (the 3rd of 3) from the " Search for Life Beyond the Solar System 2014" conference hosted by the Vatican Observatory and Steward Observatory at the University of Arizona. Fast forward to 16 minutes in as it took awhile for them to get set up.

Video archives of the presentations at the conference itself are available here.
edit on 16-4-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I had no idea Gliese and Kepler had so many planets, I really hope they harbour at least one earth like planet that would be amazing.
I wonder how we could colonize Jupiter and Uranus though?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

WhiteWine
I had no idea Gliese and Kepler had so many planets, I really hope they harbour at least one earth like planet that would be amazing.
I wonder how we could colonize Jupiter and Uranus though?

Perhaps they have a moon the size of Earth or Mars? Much like Moon of Polyphemus' called Pandora in The movie Avatar or The Forest moon of Endor in Star Wars. Both are likely and plausible!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Why, so they could spread the billions of their devotee`s kind donations, to spread the word of god, and touch some poor alien boy who was probably more holier then the whole organized church combined.

I guarantee you the child abuse complaints reached space many years ago when they first aired.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Thanks, JadeStar, for sharing that lively, very informative video. Hank Green seems quite pessimistic about the chances for life on a tidally locked planet. As we have seen, atmospheric and oceanic circulation of heat from the hot side to the cold one might moderate temperature extremes enough to make such a planet livable.
Such a world could have an interesting physical geography. The sub-solar point would probably still be somewhat torrid, like our equatorial zone, and the anti-solar point frigid, like either of Earth's poles. Its temperate zone would be in a the ring of perpetual twilight, equidistant between the hottest and coldest points.
There might be a huge, planet-wide convection cell carrying rising and expanding hot air to the cold side of the planet, with cold air being pushed by it back to the hot side, to be heated again.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Wondered were you were missed your posts and

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

Sounds like K-PAX minus the binary stars.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by JadeStar

Wondered were you were missed your posts and

I had to take a break and coursework got to be very intense. Doing a summer program at Ames again though!

top topics

join