It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

page: 1

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:30 AM
Tonight I pondered what the 'universal' definition of these days might look like, compared to my well studied version I don't think enough into these days. Google God declared this:

noun: propaganda; noun: Propaganda

information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
"he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda"
synonyms: information, promotion, advertising, publicity, spin; More
disinformation, counter-information;
informalinfo, hype, plugging;
puff piece;
the big lie
"the prophetic novel is about a government that controls the masses by spreading propaganda"
the dissemination of propaganda as a political strategy.
"the party's leaders believed that a long period of education and propaganda would be necessary"
a committee of cardinals of the Roman Catholic Church responsible for foreign missions, founded in 1622 by Pope Gregory XV.

As I punched that in I interpreted it as this:
Any form of visual, acoustical or physical communication determined to influence the socio-emotional motivations, the physical actions or the usage of currency by the targeted or potential random subject(s).

Hmm. What percentage of the daily life of the average person is spent towards propagandistic ends, I must ponder. Especially for those Catholic examples Google God gives... even more intriguing in this assessment.

Thinking back, now that I noticed the neat line graph the Google God search heralded, how fascinating that media usage was in huge peak during the Second World War Era.

When we live in an era of extreme scientific propaganda, at all levels in all media technologies and the media they transmit, which commonly utilize neuroscientific study data in their sophistication, how in the world can the peak of the human use of the word "propaganda" be such a semi-ancient relic in the human experience???

Unfortunately, in too many cases, most of US have been taught history by The History Channel. BUT, if one knows what notes to make the most note of, the insight is typically provided. In those days they used to use the word propaganda openly, and it was openly embraced by figures and the masses alike. The 2nd world war was an open battle of the concept of PROPAGANDA, where open discussion of each others propaganda was a common aspect.O

Today our comprehension, socioligistically, of the entire concept of PROPAGANDA, as a concept is at an all time low since 1945. Today "propaganda" is more persistent, absolutely more dominating, yet out of the minds by those most affected.

On Television, majority of propaganda is related to SPORTS, or at least sports teams...

In regards to 'what' 'propaganda' is, within the entire annals of typical daily television is, the notion of the whole concept of "Propaganda" is passed off as some sort of mere exotic Nazi technology we never used nor understood.

Good luck with that...

edit on 16-4-2014 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:42 AM
For a look at how western propaganda techniques were used on its own population, I highly recommend the documentary The century of the self by Adam Curtis.

The Century of the Self is an award-winning British television documentary series by Adam Curtis, released in 2002. It focuses on how the work of Sigmund Freud, Anna Freud, and Edward Bernays influenced the way corporations and governments have analyzed, dealt with, and controlled people.[1]

Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, changed the perception of the human mind and its workings. The series describes the propaganda that Western governments and corporations have utilized stemming from Freud's theories.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:11 AM

On Television, majority of propaganda is related to SPORTS, or at least sports teams...
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Why do you think most is related to sports? Not saying it isn't just curious.

Would most advertising be considered propaganda or just advertising. I ask this because a few days ago, texting with my gf, she said I can't buy happiness. Then a Coke commercial came on and said we can open a bottle of happiness so I texted her that apparently I can buy happiness.
Propaganda or just advertising?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:24 AM

Cool video from ATS very own Mr Mask about Edward Bernays and his influence on Americas propaganda.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 11:04 AM
"...used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view."

That's pretty much everything we see and hear.

They want your mind

new topics