It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why buy gold?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

the $ collapse will trigger a global financial tsunami.

when and most of all how is total mystery.

did you think you were safe because you're not in the us ? like cyprus or nz people (who felt the haircut) ? even chf has become risky because of its semi-indexing on the euro (although, as usual, swiss should be spared somehow, it's still bankerland)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by anHairInTheSoup

^^^ people trying to justify to themselves why they wasted their money.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

+10% / month (margin account) is far from amazing, but a waste of money ? really ?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Here is what the US Mint is claiming Fort knox has in Gold..
US Mint

Amount of present gold holdings: 147.3 million ounces.
The only gold removed has been very small quantities used to test the purity of gold during regularly scheduled audits. Except for these samples, no gold has been transferred to or from the Depository for many years.
What's many years?? Two? Ten? Forty?

The Depository opened in 1937; the first gold was moved to the depository in January that year. Highest gold holdings this century: 649.6 million ounces (December 31, 1941)
So in just 4 years they moved 649.6 million ounces of gold there originally. And in "many years," they have removed "very small quantities" of 502.3 Million ounces of gold.

The Depository is a classified facility. No visitors are permitted, and no exceptions are made.
How would we know that they have 147.3 million ounces at the present moment? Let alone ever had the original 649.6 million ounces? The base is classified.
What it boils down to is, can a US citizen really trust the US Government, The Fed and Wall St?
All we really know is that the US Mint is claiming Fort Knox had A LOT more gold prior to World War 2.
edit on 16-4-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   

SpeachM1litant
reply to post by Sremmos80

And you believe this because some idiots in this forum have established this as the truth. Nice independent research.

You are the people that would invest in shares on the basis of popular sentiment then cry about them losing value. It's called research.

I believe that there is no gold because the only people that tell us there is gold in there are the same people that have been caught lying about just about everything, the US gov.
I have done the research on Ft. Knox, and they wont let us see whats in the box
WHATS IN THE BOX!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

From my point of view...

He have not figured out the petrodollar printing and FED secretly selling all gold in their vaults to China to get the western countries to be forced to shift from a capitalistic economic system to a technocratic economic system (New world order). Gold being good or bad investment depends on if the people in power achieve what they want.

edit on 16-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Where is the gold that Germany wants back?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

I call BS. The only way you have made a 10% margin per month is if you bought gold in like 2007. And even then you are dumb for not selling it when it peaked because for the last 2 years it has been steadily declining in value, making your made up 10% margin impossible congrats.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Conspiracy theorists = poor people.

Oh no I don't want to invest in a company, they collapse all the time. Yes - if you invest in stupid overvalued and hyped up shares like Enron (crica 2000s).

But there's a reason why people like Warren Buffet are wealthy. Not because they are part of some Illuminati Cult, but because they have a smart long term investment strategy that allows them to let their money do the work for them.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Here is your precious gold prices. goldprice.org...

There is no upwards pattern except in times of economic strife (the dot.com bubble, the GFC etc.).

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Warren Buffet are wealthy

Free money from the FED helps when you play a monopoly game and everyone else plays by different rules.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I think a small amount in gold is a very good idea. You buy gold for the end game scenario...not to make a profit off it. If you are going to invest id invest in something else if you are wanting to play the market. Gold to me is for when the economy collapses but society doesnt collapse. There is a middle period there before complete collapse...thats where gold will work.

If you look at Argentina after their recent economic issues people were using gold jewelry in the streets to barter. The problem was 1 oz gold coins couldnt be divided so people were actually using gold jewelry.

Also keep in mind silver. Silver is used in electronics and so many other things that it can be quite valuable and its a smaller investment and probably the wiser one.

We know the economy at some point has to take a major hit unless there is some super technology that is gonna come through and just save us. Why wouldnt you buy a little bit of gold and silver?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

SpeachM1litant
So basically, ATS (specifically those buying gold), why are you dumb and why don't you do your own research instead of listening to people like Alex Jones? Is it because you hate money? Please explain.

Gee, why am I dumb? I don't know. I guess if I wasn't so dumb I would know why I am dumb. But then I wouldn't be dumb. I guess it's kind of a Catch 22 situation.

I don't get my investment advice from Alex Jones, and I don't hate money. I like money, I'm just not very keen on fiat currency. Historically speaking, they have all wound up with a final value of zero. But I'm sure that smart people know that history won't repeat itself in this case and Federal Reserve Notes will always be valuable.

But why try to convince us dumb ATS members how dumb it is to keep gold? Shouldn't you be trying to convince the US Government? They go through all that time, trouble, and "money" to store all that worthless gold at Ft. Knox. An entire army base with soldiers and tanks and secrecy just to store a load of worthless metal. Talk about dumb! They should just toss all that junk metal in the streets and let dumb people grab it up while smart people look at them and laugh. The Government could save a lot of "money" by not guarding that junk.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

That gold has probably been taken into the ground tunnels under NY.

I'd personally like to see gold and diamonds set at pennies per pound. Too much evil associated with it and the evil seems attracted to it.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I agree,to a point.Most of the gold talk is from the survivalist type hyping inflation,monetary collapse,end of the world jack booted thugs,zombie biker hordes. Granted,a diversified portfolio is perfect,and gold is a good idea to include,in a small percentage.My issue with hoarding it? IF there is a monetary collapse,what would you sell it for in exchange? Food,worthless dollars,what? If gold were ever to hit 10,000 an oz,who could buy it? Imagine finding a 20 pound diamond.Its basically a rock! Maybe worth billions,but who has billions to spend on a rock?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

blkcwbyhat
My issue with hoarding it? IF there is a monetary collapse,what would you sell it for in exchange? Food,worthless dollars,what? If gold were ever to hit 10,000 an oz,who could buy it?

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. Consider: gold is a rare element of finite quantity on Earth. Dollars (Federal Reserve Notes), have essentially been reduced to ones and zeros in computers created by bankers with a few keystrokes. So, which value is really fluctuating? Instead of thinking in terms of "Gold is worth x dollars per ounce today" try thinking in terms of "A dollar is worth x amount of gold today."

Fun fact: an ounce of silver today will buy you roughly the same amount of gas as an ounce of silver would in 1963. You certainly couldn't say that about a dollar.

If there was ever a full audit of the Federal Reserve Bank and a full audit of the gold in Ft. Knox, gold could easily hit $10,000 an ounce, or more. Then the question wouldn't be, "Who can afford to buy an ounce of gold for $10,000?" The question would be, "Who can afford to buy a loaf of bread for $1,000?"

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

you bath in ignorance & presumption, you're funny

instruct yourself : www.fool.com...

In a margin account, the cash and securities in your account act as collateral for a line of credit that you take out from the brokerage in order to...

some people chose to be poor you know, why ? because life is sooo much more than chasing money

if you're not interested by traders views on why some people buy physical gold, then don't ask the question

i mean you've proved you definitely NOT some financial expert (to not know what's a margin account, but there are plenty of other evidences in your posts)

btw, i don't have a gram of gold at home, just a few long positions on the margin account, just in case

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Right or just pile up the cash for a rainy day, really bank accounting is over-rated for a large portion of the population.

Also it sounds related that I'd add that saving gold for a financial collapse situation is not a good idea compared to saving gasoline, it'd be worth more most likely.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

VictorVonDoom
Fun fact: an ounce of silver today will buy you roughly the same amount of gas as an ounce of silver would in 1963. You certainly couldn't say that about a dollar.

If there was ever a full audit of the Federal Reserve Bank and a full audit of the gold in Ft. Knox, gold could easily hit $10,000 an ounce, or more. Then the question wouldn't be, "Who can afford to buy an ounce of gold for $10,000?" The question would be, "Who can afford to buy a loaf of bread for $1,000?"

a

No, the question would be where can we go to be able to find a job that issues compensation that can afford a decent lifestyle. Living on saved gold in a collapse situation, you wouldn't last long like that unless you have tons of it.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I have a sneaky suspicion that when the great ReSet of the USD happens... the Fed will impose an outrageous tax or transaction fee on whatever Gold gets transferred from weak hands to strong hands...
which will wipe out any 'Gains' in the value of Gold bullion or Coins

I also read in current articles that the Fed Reserve Note system will restructure into a 2 part system; International USDs
and Domestic USDs (probably called something like 'Republic Notes') in the very near future (within 5 years for sure)

I have a few stack Silver coins to trade/barter/exchange with during the USD ReSet where it is expected that the Domestic Note will lose up to 80% of Its' value in a series of devaluations (say about 3 years of inflation & devaluation)

I have absolutely no gold bars/coins as I feel it won't be worth the effort or security measures necessary to stack gold coins or partial ounces... but I do have gold shares of stocks which I feel will keep apace with inflation/devaluation of the currency with multi-fold increases in Dividends over the years

bail-ins or IRA seizures aside for this mental exercise
edit on th30139773600617002014 by St Udio because: more mumbo-jumbo to feed the fish with

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join