It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ferry sinking off South Korean coast, over 470 people on board

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by drwill

Oh my, heart wrenching, these kids are too young to die. I hope the mother and son in that text message are reunited.
This is so incredibly sad....

edit on 16-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: add image

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yes, this is incredibly sad. My heart goes out to the people on the ship and their families. I also feel respect and admiration for the rescuers. They were very brave to get that close while the ship was rolling over.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
There should be more attention brought to this thread!! My God, this is GUT WRENCHING! Why the hell would they tell the kids to stay on a sinking ship!!!!! I'm just sick about this!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

jude11
Used to live on Jeju and I find this hard to believe. My wife is from there anD she's in shock.

Damn I hope we have good news.

Peace

Do you know what it could have hit?? Are there rocks out there?? I'm not seeing any damage either, unless it's on the opposite side. As another poster asked, where were the lifeboats?? I'm not understanding why they would tell them to stay on a sinking ship or why there were no life boats.....

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I feel very bad for those people. I just don't understand how in this day and age, with all the technology available, that ships this size strike a reef, if that is in fact the case here?

When they are carrying that many passengers, you would think that the ship would have some kind of depth radar or GPS like device that shows where the dangers are in the area?

And no lifeboats, is that true? You really have to wonder.......~$heopleNation
edit on 16-4-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

I know it is just too awful. The loss of life will be tremendous and most of them kids

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

j.r.c.b.
Why the hell would they tell the kids to stay on a sinking ship!!!!!

One reason to tell everyone to stay put. Is so that all the people don't run to the same side of the boat at once. This could cause it roll over faster.

Not sticking up for whomever gave the order. Just trying to answer your question.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Cyberspy

j.r.c.b.

One reason to tell everyone to stay put. Is so that all the people don't run to the same side of the boat at once. This could cause it roll over faster.

Not sticking up for whomever gave the order. Just trying to answer your question.

Yes I did take that into consideration, TY
....When it started to get to be too late, why did no one tell the kids to get to the deck? Their just kids, really. They were just doing as told & some were probably paralyzed with fear....poor poor kids...I would really like to know if the captain of this ship survived???

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Not sure if this is in the same area or not but there is a spot where in the spring the tide subsides for an hour or so and causes a land bridge to form. Maybe it came early.
ImpactLab.net

Jindo Island, in South Korea, is host to one of the world’s most amazing natural phenomenons, called the Moses Miracle. Two times a year, at the beginning of May and in the middle of June, the waters between Jindo and Modo islands split and create a causeway 2.8 km (1.7 miles) long and 40 meters (131 feet) wide. The path lasts for roughly an hour and allows people from both places to meet halfway and celebrate.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

WOW!! That's pretty crazy looking. I can't even imagine that...That's a great find! TY!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Didn't this happen on the anniversary of the Titanic?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Cyberspy

j.r.c.b.

I do understand that you're not backing the 'stay-put' order, but the likely reason you speculated on, just doesn't make any sense to me. Even if one has no knowledge as to the dynamics of a sinking ship, one's survival INSTINCT clearly would lead you to move to the side that leads UPWARDS, from the side of the ship that's tilting downwards. Remember that there were a bunch of cars, as well as cargo; the weight of these would have speeded the downward tilting as they came crashing together on the downward side. If the passengers had ALL defied that order at once, it could even have caused an opposing 'ballast' to right the ship up. I said MAY have, but it's better than 'staying put' and adding to the wrong-way tilt.

This 'stay-put' order was drastically and fatally wrong!

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Does anyone else suspect an EMP hit? You know...NK doing a little target practice?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Starling

I think it's because they are just kids really, not mature enough to disobey orders...for example, when we had that big earthquake a few years ago, my daughter had to take charge of all 3 of my boys, because they were literally, paralyzed with fear. She had to grab my youngest, who was 7 at the time, cause he was so paralyzed, he didn't even hear her screaming to get out of the house...(I was over at cooper hospital at the time, with my mother)...I was SO worried, it's a feeling I won't ever forget. I can't imagine what these parents are going through....it's an awful feeling!! Anyone hear any word on the captain yet???? I wanted to add, I still don't understand why no one came over the intercom, when they realized the entire ship was going down, to tell them to get out???
edit on 4/16/14 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

j.r.c.b.

I think it's because they are just kids really, not mature enough to disobey orders...for example, when we had that big earthquake a few years ago, my daughter had to take charge of all 3 of my boys, because they were literally, paralyzed with fear. She had to grab my youngest, who was 7 at the time, cause he was so paralyzed, he didn't even hear her screaming to get out of the house...(I was over at cooper hospital at the time, with my mother)...I was SO worried, it's a feeling I won't ever forget. I can't imagine what these parents are going through....it's an awful feeling!! Anyone hear any word on the captain yet???? I wanted to add, I still don't understand why no one came over the intercom, when they realized the entire ship was going down, to tell them to get out???

Yes, I empathize with that. But remember that maybe half (?) of the passengers were adults, including school shaperones and the crew.
They weren't ALL kids.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Starling, when on a sinking ship. The impulse is to go towards the water. You don't have to jump from as high. So you would think.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Agreed. They just had an admiral on cnn trying to explain what happens, when a ship starts to tilt, he was saying how disorienting it is. Also, one or some of the kids were trapped, according to a text a boy sent to his dad, and the host on CNN, asked the admiral where the crew was. That's the question I want to know. But now that the admiral described how disorienting it is, I guess I understand it better. Still, they should have had those people on lifeboats ASAP....(between mysterious missing airplane with missing people & now all these lives possibly lost on a sinking ship, I'm keeping my own two feet on this soil!)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Cyberspy

Starling, when on a sinking ship. The impulse is to go towards the water. You don't have to jump from as high. So you would think.

I think you may have to rethink that theory.
Can you imagine going for the side that's rapidly filling up with water?...Unless you like drowning, of course.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Starling, a long time ago I was in the Navy. We were trained in such things. When the life boat is about to capsize. On side goes up, the other goes down. You want to lean towards the water and swim away. Not the best idea.

Anyway, we're getting off the subject. It was a very sad thing that happened today.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Starling
Does anyone else suspect an EMP hit? You know...NK doing a little target practice?

NK may be insane but not stupid.

They know their space on the World map would be Dust if they were caught at this.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join