It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Provocation fears reportedly lead US to withhold non-lethal aid to Ukraine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The Obama administration reportedly is withholding even non-lethal military aid to Ukraine for fear it could further inflame tensions -- despite already intensifying clashes between the country's government and pro-Russia militiamen.

After returning from a trip to Ukraine, Clark and Karber reportedly wrote that the U.S. government had turned down requests for everything from body armor to night-vision goggles to communications equipment. The Obama administration apparently was concerned that type of aid would be seen as "provocative."

Asked if he considers body armor and night-vision goggles to be "lethal," Carney said: "I don't want to, you know, parse forms of assistance. ... We are focused right now on providing the economic assistance that Congress and the administration have worked together to secure for Ukraine and to provide the diplomatic effort that we're engaged in."

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

I really really wish something bad would happen to that smug nosed piss ant Jay Carney. Can't stand that douchebag. The Obongo administration has no balls. They can't make a decision if their political reelection depended on it. Our leader in chief is a flip flopping nit wit and so are his advisers and administration. Either you draw a line and make "costs"
Stick or you mind your own damn country's business. All he does is further destroy our reputation around the globe. Are threats are becoming a joke.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The US under the current administration is scared #less of Russia. And Iran. And Syria etc. LOL

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

GreenMtnBoys

I really really wish something bad would happen to that smug nosed piss ant Jay Carney. Can't stand that douchebag. The Obongo administration has no balls. They can't make a decision if their political reelection depended on it. Our leader in chief is a flip flopping nit wit and so are his advisers and administration. Either you draw a line and make "costs"
Stick or you mind your own damn country's business. All he does is further destroy our reputation around the globe. Are threats are becoming a joke.

Would you want to be in a position where your decisions could lead to world war?

What would you do?

What would you have them do now?

It's easy to say man-up and confront the Russians, but when you consider the potential consequences of that it really isn't that easy.

While it may make our country look bad now, I believe this situation has gone too far for any strong intervention from the west that doesn't risk making it worse not better.

This all could have gone another way, be thankful it didn't.

IMO

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

princeofpeace

The Obama administration reportedly is withholding even non-lethal military aid to Ukraine for fear it could further inflame tensions -- despite already intensifying clashes between the country's government and pro-Russia militiamen.

After returning from a trip to Ukraine, Clark and Karber reportedly wrote that the U.S. government had turned down requests for everything from body armor to night-vision goggles to communications equipment. The Obama administration apparently was concerned that type of aid would be seen as "provocative."

Asked if he considers body armor and night-vision goggles to be "lethal," Carney said: "I don't want to, you know, parse forms of assistance. ... We are focused right now on providing the economic assistance that Congress and the administration have worked together to secure for Ukraine and to provide the diplomatic effort that we're engaged in."

Finally a display of common sense from the US!

Best news I've heard yet.....Now if the US and the west in general would just crawl back under their rocks and leave the Russians alone, we can all sleep peacefully once again.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
While I think it would take much more than that to provoke Russia, this is still a smart move. I say this because providing aid, especially military aid, will do absolutely no good. Military aid wouldn't be needed unless Russia invaded, and even then the aid would not alter the outcome, which would be Russia overrunning the country. If the US would take military action upon such an event, then it wouldn't matter if they gave aid before that point. By the time US forces could be mobilized and sent in, the country would likely be in Russian control already.

Non-military aid would make more sense, and is less likely to be viewed as provocation. But what exact type of non-military aid are we talking about? I would support sending such aid, but not military aid. But then again, the US already sends enough money to places that don't need it, like Israel, and we cannot afford to spend money in such ways.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

GreenMtnBoys

Would you want to be in a position where your decisions could lead to world war?

What would you do?

What would you have them do now?

It's easy to say man-up and confront the Russians, but when you consider the potential consequences of that it really isn't that easy.

While it may make our country look bad now, I believe this situation has gone too far for any strong intervention from the west that doesn't risk making it worse not better.

This all could have gone another way, be thankful it didn't.

IMO

I don't think America looks bad for taking a course of action towards deescalation. If anything countries have been lambasted for the opposite.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Merinda

I repeat, it all could have gone another way.

One with a far more dangerous outcome.

IMO

top topics

join