It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Second Source of Light detected by the Rover. Curiosity Sol 568.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Chamberf=6
reply to post by Arken

No offense meant, but I sometimes wonder how many hours a day you devote to looking at every NASA image.

This is a thought that crossed my mind a few times.
But I still look at Arken's threads... just in case.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

butcherguy

Chamberf=6
reply to post by Arken

No offense meant, but I sometimes wonder how many hours a day you devote to looking at every NASA image.

This is a thought that crossed my mind a few times.
But I still look at Arken's threads... just in case.

15/20 min. in the mornig.
Right the time of the breakfast.

edit on 15-4-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
moonrise on mars, deimos or phobos?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Arken

Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by Arken

Let me guess Phage, cosmic ray strike again?

Good find Arken!

I bet.

... And now Unleash the "It's a Cosmic Ray!!" crowd!

So you're trying to stop any logical and more intelligent sounding discussion by mocking it?

That's what people who have no real argument do...but nice try.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I choose you Phage!!
Ok, jk, good catch!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Deaf Alien
reply to post by Arken

It appeared in only one camera. Most likely cosmic ray

Chamberf=6
If it was really a "cover job" I would think the images simply wouldn't be released in the first place.

Come on people - there's no room for logical discussion in this thread. Even with the comparison pictures that show this is from the same spot and not two different spots. If you don't claim it's "aliens" then there's no place for your comments in this thread.

edit on 15-4-2014 by tallcool1 because: Inserted wrong quote from chamberf=6...I'm a moron!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Phage

All over the place:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 4/15/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I don't know if the OP's pic contains a cosmic ray or not.
But I'd like to assume the phagester (lol) is not implying that all the white dots on that last pic in your post are cosmic rays.
How can one photo contain so many 'cosmic rays'?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

Cosmic ray? Possibly, we must allow, but we must question for the sake of clarity
Question: How often does a cosmic ray strike show up in ANY photograph ANYWHERE (Earth, space earlier on Mars)?
Question: How is a cosmic ray strike different on Mars than elsewhere?
Question: Was that the same camera or the other one this time?
Question: The scene lighting in both images seems about the same, twilight. Is it natural, about the same time of day/night?Question: Are the filters on both cameras exactly the same?
Question: Has this phenomena shown up before?
Question: Given the terrific velocities of cosmic rays, was the timing of the camera shutters exactly the same length?
Question: Is the supposed strike on the imaging chip of the camera and not out in the field of view?
Question: If confined to a strike on the imaging chip why would it take out several pixels in length and width being a ray?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
No, its not extraterrestrial trying to make contact. Mars is a very dry desolate place and highly electrified. It could be a cosmic ray but I will have to conclude that's its nothing more than an electric discharge from stirred up dust.

Ever see one of those Martian dust devils? They produce an electric discharge from stirred up dust as they move along the surface. There are numerous demonstrations of them on the web.

Here is an Image of one:

An animated view:
Animated Martian Dust Devil

Oops, Didn't read the posts about it not showing in the simultaneous image taken by the second camera. Chalk another one up for Phage. Well, enjoy the dust devil stuff.
edit on 15-4-2014 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

stumason
reply to post by tinner07

Mar is "dead" now, as evidence by it's next to non-existent EM field, which has allowed the solar wind to strip away the atmosphere.

Back in the day, it was active with the solar systems largest volcanoes, but now the Core has cooled this is no longer the case.

Actually..sorry about THAT word,
some of the thinking is that Mar's core is in fact molten. They do know since ten or more years ago that Mar's is molten somewhere because the Sun bends and twists it, in itself a cause of friction and heating. That the core could be molten could also be the difference between Earth and Mars, Earth has a solid core with a molten layer in between causing the dynamic function and the magnetic field, while Mar's magnetic field is so much weaker. That gives the boffins a chance to play with the numbers in heavy metals, all the info they can glean from Mar's meteorites, and what they have from the rovers on Mars to come up with a decent hypothesis. So Mar's has its dynamics, it is affected from without, and that includes humans now, so there is no reason to suppose that Mars today is the same as it was yesterday, or as it will be tomorrow, everything is transient.
The same goes for what happens if some kind of, any kind of life form on Mars is found, What to do then? would humans just be tourists when they visit Mars, or would they come in peace but be determined to take over the planet at the same time? Well we know what humans usually do.
edit on 15-4-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

Come on people - there's no room for logical discussion in this thread. Even with the comparison pictures that show this is from the same spot and not two different spots

So you're trying to stop any different and more intelligent sounding discussion by mocking it?

That's what people who have only the "Cosmic Ray" argument do...bad try.

edit on 15-4-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Deaf Alien
reply to post by Arken

It appeared in only one camera. Most likely cosmic ray

Something I did forget to mention in my last post, there must also be some resolving artifacts that end up on both pictures. They can be seen in your animation, take a 45° angle from the white spot in the animation up and to screen left, you can see a dark spot over a light spot in the sky, it appears in both pictures, as does a small vertical line to the left beside the dark spot. Something else to take into account I guess. In the animation there is also a slight up/down movement for those items, I have no idea why, unless the dark spot is something really there and moving, but there is no lateral movement.
edit on 15-4-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Here are the sources. Perhaps you can show it?

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

koperniguz
There is also some tiny white speck in the right side of the image. Looks sharper at the original NASA image. So, I suspect some gear/image processing glitch.

Everyone passed by koperniguz's post on the first page. There is another evident light, smaller, a little bit in and out from the top right hand corner of the OP's first picture.

I'll go with cosmic ray for the larger light, although I'm not an optics or cosmic ray expert the switch between the two cameras does show that it only appears on one side of the rover. Does koperniguz's find also?

edit on 15-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

You mean this stuck pixel?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yep. Shows how lights on Mars are not lights on Mars. The best pixel effect, imnho, was on the Char-Lee find of the ratty looking thing which turned out to have a bad pixel right where its eye would have appeared.

Here's that broken pixel effect imaged by funbox:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

regarding the cosmic-ray deal. I'm not saying it is or it isn't but I have a few questions about the cosmic rays. How many pictures has curiosity and the other taken? And now all of a sudden two cosmic rays in two different pictures within what a week span.

why hasnt curiosity or spirit captured any cosmic rays until just recently or have they?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Is there any significance from a solar system point of view to a couple of them being seen in such a short time if they are both in fact cosmic rays?

Aww...Alien Abduct beat me to it

edit on 15-4-2014 by awakendhybrid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Interesting for sure. No idea what it could be but I certainly am not convinced with that cosmic ray or photo defect arguments. Exploration requires an open mind at all times.
edit on 15-4-2014 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Alien Abduct
reply to post by Arken

regarding the cosmic-ray deal. I'm not saying it is or it isn't but I have a few questions about the cosmic rays. How many pictures has curiosity and the other taken? And now all of a sudden two cosmic rays in two different pictures within what a week span.

awakendhybrid
Is there any significance from a solar system point of view to a couple of them being seen in such a short time if they are both in fact cosmic rays?

There are cosmic rays (or, strictly speaking, the decay products of cosmic rays) passing through your body all the time, lots of them every second of every day, and you are on a magnetically shielded planet with a thick atmosphere.

why hasnt curiosity or spirit captured any cosmic rays until just recently or have they?

They have. Phage posted several examples just up thread. When the first images came in I was a bit puzzled why there were two similar images with the "light" in a similar place, but I am pretty sure it's just coincidence. The ones where the rays look like lights on the horizon get noticed, the ones where they are in random spots don't so much. Standard confirmation bias.
edit on 15-4-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join