It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Second Source of Light detected by the Rover. Curiosity Sol 568.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Chamberf=6
If it was really a "cover job" I would think the images simply wouldn't be released in the first place.

But Occam's Razor (so loved by ATSers) dictates that the simplest answer is most likely correct. Therefore... it's aliens.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

If it was really a "cover job" I would think the images simply wouldn't be released in the first place.

True, but then you would have to think that the same people are releasing images and covering them up. I don't have that limiting factor in my equation. My version is more like NASA is trying very hard to say things without seeming like they are saying things. Meanwhile someone else is covering it up. NASA actually seems like good guys to me...

When Science is the goal, politics is eventually going to die. I know from my own desires that many people who think like me that I have tutored have ended up in places like NASA and they WONT lie. If they are forced to not tell the truth, they will let a couple images slip.. Can't see it all, especially with budget cuts..

As far as what the lights are, I have no clue, but one of them does look somewhat like it's coming from out of the ground. I wish I knew exactly how their camera and my eyes compare, so that I would know what it THINKS it's seeing compared to what may actually be happening. I don't think it's a camera glitch. I think something is actually bright there..

Maybe in the next month we will see a bunch of lights all around and learn that the rover is going through a "dirtier" area of space?? I don't know, but the lights don't look the same to me, nor do they look like they are "on the lens..." My perception is biased however. Not sure how much....

edit on 15-4-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I predict they will find that is a Martian kid with with a laser pointer goofing on NASA.

edit on 15-4-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks that this "light" looks exactly like most of the UFO videos? Like a blurry dots? Could they be the same thing?

Interesting Arken, I very much appreciate every your thread because they are really ground breaking. Keep up.

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

It appeared in only one camera. Most likely cosmic ray

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Im getting tired of these "glitches/cosmic ray" photos. Why does NASA post these? Just sayin, if I was a photographer, Id want to display quality pictures to the masses. These imperfections take away from the awe/beauty of the rest of the photo. Why not just post the "unglitched" photos?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Tucket
reply to post by Arken

Im getting tired of these "glitches/cosmic ray" photos. Why does NASA post these? Just sayin, if I was a photographer, Id want to display quality pictures to the masses. These imperfections take away from the awe/beauty of the rest of the photo. Why not just post the "unglitched" photos?

Because if NASA didn't post these then people will say they are hiding something. Just like they say when NASA posts series of photos from the moon or other places they photograph.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Tucket
reply to post by Arken

Well, then everyone would say they are already picking which pictures to show so they must be hiding the good ones. I like to think NASA is posting everything, and if they notice a bright light in one of the pictures they must think, "does this make kids think Mars is cool?" as they press "post."

EDIT: above poster haha, ya got me....

edit on 15-4-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Some guy in a dune buggy in Baja California.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Interesting that cosmic ray strikes always seem to be in the general area of the horizon.

But if it were a cosmic ray strike, (we have to consider all possibilities) then yes I do believe it can go through a mountain. They go through everything, right??? Or it could have come at a more vertical angle coming down from the sky moving in front of the mountain then hitting the camera sensor. It could have come from any angle, even from behind the camera.

The main problem i guess i have with a cosmic ray strike is that there are two of these in such a short amount of time. I don't know what the odds of that would be, but I suppose it's possible there have been more that we have not noticed. Is there some reason why we don't notice these as often on photos taken from Earth? Like the consistency of atmosphere?

Maybe it is some type of geyser of water or methane with sunlight reflecting off it? Or uncut, pure slushy syrup of the same type used in the kwik-e-mart slushy machine? That stuff is not for amateurs... you really gotta be able to handle your sh#.

It looks like a flame, like the other one, it looks like the planet farted, and someone lit a lighter near it's ass at the moment of expulsion, therefore igniting said fart resulting in an impressive blast of flame shooting upward, likening mars to some college frat boy trying to impress us visitors with his best party tricks.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

Look at my post above. It appeared in only one camera. These two pictures were taken at the same time.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The chance of it being a cosmic ray are small, but exist. A CR strike can't be ruled out immediately.

The likelihood of it being a piece of polished metal or crystal is also very small, considering what has been seen on the surface so far. I don't recall any news piece on reflective crystalline materials being reported on the surface by any credible source as of yet.

My guess is that it's a hot pixel (one that has been over-energized by a long exposure time). Once the picture is done, the temperature on the surface would help de-energize it so that it would no longer be as much of an issue for the next image taken.

I'm basing this on the closest zoomed version in the OP. If you look at the image, you'll see that the image looks like it was printed on a rough(ish) or at least uneven surface.

This happens because energy becomes trapped (well, not TRAPPED but for lack of a better descriptive term, it'll do), that keeps the pixel open and causes more light to be able to reach the sensor. There are algorithms that are supposed to average out or remove these pixels from an image, but sometimes they don't always get everything, especially when a really bright pixel throws it off. When this image is zoomed right in, it looks like the compensation algorithm didn't do it's job at all.

Couple this with compression artifacts from compressing the image with a lossy compressor for more reliable transfer from Mars to Earth, and you have what we see above (And also the previous image from the other post!).

A CR strike CAN cause a hot pixel, but is not necessarily required for it. It's actually a very common occurrence in digital cameras.
edit on 15-4-2014 by gspat because: More info added.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

buster2010

Tucket
reply to post by Arken

Because if NASA didn't post these then people will say they are hiding something.

Imo publishing these types of photos stimulate more "there hiding something" thought, than if they didnt. I guess its sort of a lose lose situation..

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

So NASA always lies and covers up things and yet here it is posting pictures of a light source on Mars for the second time........isn't that contradictory. If there really was a light source emanating from the surface of Mars and NASA always covers up the truth why has it not covered this up? Oh let me guess these people who cover things up accidentally let a photo through. Hang on two accidents in as many weeks.

Now if photo's contain artifacts and glitches and knowledgable people know this there would be no need to hide the pictures irrespective of whether they do cover things up or not.

Needless to say, one of the above is 100% logically sound, the other has more holes than swiss cheese....that's a hole with a light shining through by the way

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Deaf Alien

Look at my post above. It appeared in only one camera. These two pictures were taken at the same time.

I think your efforts have fallen on deaf aliens.
Not only is it most likely another cosmic particle, NASA has said elsewhere that they are at a high in general when, like now the Sun's activity is fairly low, expect to see more of the same.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
From what I read of the initial pictures, it was thought to be a micro-crack in the left camera. When the angle and lighting is just right, a quick flare looking thing appears (not on the right camera that looks at the same spot).

However, a martian with a strobe light obviously is a logical second choice...heh

+20 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Interesting that cosmic ray strikes always seem to be in the general area of the horizon.
No.

A night shot of the sky:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Well above the horizon:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Well below the horizon:
files.abovetopsecret.com...

All over the place:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 4/15/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Great find Arken! Just curious, but are there any reliable/possible hypothesis's out there? I know we have heard wild claims and some not so wild claims, but I'm curious to see if there is any claim out there that is gaining more traction of being a possibility than others...

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightLight

As far as what the lights are, I have no clue, but one of them does look somewhat like it's coming from out of the ground

It certainly does.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Mar is "dead" now, as evidence by it's next to non-existent EM field, which has allowed the solar wind to strip away the atmosphere.

Back in the day, it was active with the solar systems largest volcanoes, but now the Core has cooled this is no longer the case.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join