It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS - Should Alcohol Be Sold In Movie Theaters?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Yeah it might in a rare circumstance.

How many sports fans can you get in a stadium at a time and how often do they, actually, have a problem? Statistically.

If something kicks off, pause and rewind the movie, remove the problem. Cant do that at a live sports game.

link   

benrl
They do it in portland.

Its not chaos, its order polite adults enjoying themselves.

At the one I go to often, the Balcony is for 21 and over, Ive never once had a negative experience and found it to be a great time, if a bit over priced.

I think every decent-sized city has one of two of those places. Beer in a cineplex, though? Not a good idea. Guns, yes, beer, no.

link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I don't know what the laws are but in CO. there's this little dinner theater the wife and I go too for our date nights.
they serve drinks there.

I bet it have to do with local laws regarding booze being served in a place where minors are right there waiting to sneak a beer?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It would take away the fun of sneaking it in if they made it legal. Talk about a killjoy idea.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I've been to movie theaters who serve alcohol. I guess it isn't legal in Delaware? Why wouldn't they have a bar at the movies! Have a separate section for drinkers in the back, near a cash bar.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I've been in theaters that sell beer, but it's always pretty much crap beer. As usual, I wait for a movie to be released on DVD and watch it at home where I can do anything I want.

But as another posted. It must play havoc on their insurance rates.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have been to The Alamo Drafthouse in Cedar Park. The experience was quite enjoyable. A theatre with waitstaff, craft beers, and spacious seating. Every other row of seats was removed for tables. I heard this particular location is now closed, but there are other locations in the Austin area.

The best part is no "buyers remorse". The movie I saw was not the best movie, but it does rank up there with best theatre experience.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
They already do it. It's called Brewvies, and it shows all the same movies as the regular theaters.
They don't need to pass a bill, all you need is a smart entrepreneur.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Bobaganoosh
I have been to The Alamo Drafthouse in Cedar Park. The experience was quite enjoyable. A theatre with waitstaff, craft beers, and spacious seating. Every other row of seats was removed for tables. I heard this particular location is now closed, but there are other locations in the Austin area.

The best part is no "buyers remorse". The movie I saw was not the best movie, but it does rank up there with best theatre experience.

Sounds like the Cinebarre theatre my husband and I enjoy going to. We usually meet up with other couples and enjoy a simple dinner and drinks while we watch a flick.

I'm waiting for tax season to be officially over. We have plans to meet another couple there to see The Grand Budapest Hotel before its run is over, just have to wait at least one more night

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

They already do in Texas. It's called Alamo Drafthouse.
Awesome place. No talking. No cellphones. No noisy little brats running around.
Just theater.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

TDawgRex

I've been in theaters that sell beer, but it's always pretty much crap beer. As usual, I wait for a movie to be released on DVD and watch it at home where I can do anything I want.

But as another posted. It must play havoc on their insurance rates.

It doesn't actually play havoc on insurance rates. I think this is the part where I say I know the owners of a particular place that sells craft beers and things including Fat tire, Corona, magic hat... and they are cheap.. They don't even fix holes in the false ceiling for months, or the AC when it broke.. They also have better prices for popcorn/coke/candy, and if you work there all movies are free.

The most freedom you can have is not around any other people because then you cannot interrupt their freedom. I could sit next to you a thousand times and you would never know I was drunk. I respect freedom. (mine to be drunk, and yours not to notice) But do you guys really think people don't go to movies high? Rules only matter to sheltered peoples. Maybe sheltered peoples need to stay sober so us miscreants can enjoy drunk movies in peace.

Haha..

Really the thread should be "can we trust people with freedom?"

A Lot of the Answers point to No we can't trust people with freedom. The same people who may hate the government want to govern minds because if they did not some drunk guy may cause issues.

So.. Do we want freedom or do we want reasonable expectations of a planned event with controls to keep the plan on track? I'm one of those who thinks being in a movie is just like being at home or just like being at a concert. You MUST respect social norms, BUT, they should only be enforced at the point of the breaking of social norms. So to be clear a loud guy in the movie sitting next to a drunk quiet guy IS the problem. The social norms of movie going already take care of that. Safety or Freedom. Pick one now guys or things will only get more confused.

I truly see no issue as far as I see no issue with being a human.

I'm of a weird opinion that social norms should be imposed by the community as social norms, and not as laws. I'm strange like that.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

pirhanna

They already do in Texas. It's called Alamo Drafthouse.
Awesome place. No talking. No cellphones. No noisy little brats running around.
Just theater.

Yep. Alamo Drafthouse is great. There's also Flix Brewhouse in North Austin. Great food, great beer, and pretty good wine. Best way to see a movie in my opinion. My husband and I have been to those places many times over the years. I never once witnessed any issues with drunks. People are going there to see a movie while having a beer or two -- they're not going there to get drunk.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Mid Michigan already has this too. And you can have diner as well
Studio C

haven't personally been yet, as I'm sure the cost is pretty high, but I don't have a problem with it.

Like others have said, I prefer to watch and drink at home. Can't beat the price.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

FF, there is one not that far from you, in Collegeville. I will U2U you with the address.

Movie Tavern

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thanks. Got it. I have no idea these things were out there. Maybe I'll get my husband and go sometime. I can't drink anymore (haven't been able to for 10 years now). But he can. And he might like a draft while watching a flick ...

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
We have one here.

They only serve drinks for the "late" show and then check IDs at the door as people come in.

Very pleasant atmosphere!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think with today's cineplexes they could easily have some theatres where you can have a beer and people under a certain age aren't allowed, and some theatres specifically for families with small children, and some theatres for general use and some for teens even. They might even delegate some by showing time. The late night beer screenings maybe.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

It already is in some theatres (since the 1970's in Michigan...one of the 1st was the Quo Vadis Theatre in Westland MI). You can order cocktail and special couch seating to watch your favorite movies. A few have waitresses and servers during the show, others you have to go to the counter and get your own.

***Just checked again: Currently in the Metro Detroit area at EMAGINE Theaters. No problems or issues for years now.

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
There are theaters in other states that have a full bar which serve alcohol. I went to one where my dad lives In Missouri. There wasn't a single incident, and my dad goes there frequently but has never said anything about people being drunk and disorderly.

I only wish they had them here in Idaho.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I'm shocked that you can't already - my local movie theatre of choice here in the UK has lovely deep leather seats that would fit the widest of derriers and serves heaps of delish home-made cakes, draught beers and single malt whiskey. So much for personal responsibility and the land of the "free" i guess. Bloody Obama

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join