It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Magic Behind Beating The Bounds!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I hope I am not out of bounds posting this thread here! Please move as is appropriate.

Disclaimer: This thread is brought to you by my legally medicated insanity , my ability to see general patterns in ATS recent threads and similar patterns in threads I have chosen to specifically read,... and that God talks to me and has sent me a guide in the form of my late aunt who whispers to me in my dreams about farms.

Caution: Read the following at your own risk to your mental stability!

Hello my fellow ATSworts wizards, witches and warlocks,... to my class on The Magic Behind Beating the Bounds!

1stly We shall all need some Willow - Wands ...

The priest of the parish with the churchwardens and the parochial officials headed a crowd of boys who, armed with green boughs, usually birch or willow, beat the parish boundary markers with them.

Because it is coming up to Rogation Days and Ascension Day ...

In former times when maps were rare, it was usual to make a formal perambulation of the parish boundaries on Ascension Day or during Rogation week.

Rogation Days are Christian celebrations spanning over five days. Processions are held from Monday through Wednesday on the dates preceding Ascension Thursday, with a final celebration held on the 25 April. These have historically been known as the Minor and Major Rogations. The word "Rogation" comes from the Latin verb rogare, meaning "to ask", which reflects the beseeching of God for protection.

So you may ask what are we doing

Well it is similar to this ...

www.youtube.com...

We shall be magically beating on the touchstones of the magic of binding and unbinding, aka the magical setting of, maintainance of and the trespassing of boundaries,... and also on the more mundane history, use and reasons for Boundary Markers.

As I stated in the disclaimer above I was lead here by God, my late aunts farm dream whispers, general recent thread trend on ATS and specific threads I choose to read which have inspired this threads creation.

Primarily there has been a trend on ATS recently with threads to do with ...

A Military View of the Bundy Ranch Situation: Why Everyone Should Be Worried

... which is a grazing rights issue and this is clearly a subject to do with boundary limitations and access rights.

Also such threads as this one today ...

The utter collapse of human civilization will be ‘difficult to avoid,’ NASA funded study says,

... and ...

US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study.

... shows we have reached our current limits.

Or have we

Russia Plans Permanent Manned Moon Base "FOREVER"

And breaking boundaries is not limited to just humans ... Ebola Epidemic Could Become Global Crisis

Secondarily I noticed and read an old (2010) recently bumped thread called ...

The trees talked to my grandaughter

... and after some research I became of the opinion and posted that there was a boundary marker and possible gravestone at play in the spooky goings on in that threads OP.

Both of those patterns inspired me to investigate perimeters and boundaries more deeply and I believe this is a message from God as I have been dreaming of owning my own farmland just as my late aunt did.

She whispers stuff to me in my dreams and recently she was teaching me stuff about willows (source of plant growth hormone and aspirin) and so this just seems par for the course for me, with the use of willow wands in the beating of the bounds.

What I learned about perimeters, from searching ATS, was ...

Geese : good for security and eating

... and this clearly ties into the ongoing (since last Xmass) farming dreams I have been having.

I also learned about string lines both for setting out and for security of boundaries, but my knowledge is insubstantial and so I ask any of my fellow members who have security training in setting up, maintaining and securing a perimeter,... and or surveyors who can chime in with their expertise in these real world matters.

What God specifically directed me to on ATS was this thread called ...

God's law; Your neighbour's field

... and it goes deeply into that issue and I shall not regurgitate it just now.

And further searches on ATS lead me to this very long thread (48 pages long) ...

Deciphering the Pagan Stones

... which also goes deeply into boundary markers and again I shall not regurgitate the masses of info contained within that thread just right now.

I shall be cherry picking things out from both threads and collating those tidbits specifically on the magic and history of boundary markers.

Searches on Google resulted in this article www.strangebritain.co.uk... and I am finding it to be a good read on the subject!

I know this entire post seems outrageous and I have no proof that this is a message from God and my fellow members will just have to take my word for it that my late aunt whispers to me in my ongoing dreams about farming and owning farmland.

I am not a follower of the Abrahamic faiths or a member of any of their religious organizations and so I was surprised when I realized this sacred information was revealed to me just before I would be required to exercise it, i.e. Ascension day, and to me that is a miracle!

What this post may offer my fellow members is a chance to remember where we came from and what that entitles us to ...

Knowledge of the limits of each parish needed to be handed down so that such matters as liability to contribute to the repair of the church, and the right to be buried within the churchyard were not disputed

There is much to be discussed and so please join me in soundly beating the bounds of this subject!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DietJoke

Hey, I'll join you. This looks like it's going to be a great thread! I'm curious as to how it will develop so I'll be reading along, definitely.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by beansidhe

As you are the original author behind the Deciphering the Pagan Stones thread, I deeply appreciate your attentions towards this thread!

Thank you!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

1] This is the Grey Area forum and I like to be open, upfront and honest with my fellow ATS members, even if that put limits on me.

2] I did qualify in the OP ...

I know this entire post seems outrageous and I have no proof that this is a message from God and my fellow members will just have to take my word for it that my late aunt whispers to me in my ongoing dreams about farming and owning farmland.

I am not a follower of the Abrahamic faiths or a member of any of their religious organizations and so I was surprised when I realized this sacred information was revealed to me just before I would be required to exercise it, i.e. Ascension day, and to me that is a miracle! - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

3] You didn't read deeply enough to get that message ...

I dont have a clue what this thread is about it literally sounds like the ramblings of someone who is a few spanners short of a tool box. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

... because this thread generated 4 flags within 20minutes of its posting and that implies that at least 4 others got my message with little or no comprehension issues!

4] My ATS username was created specifically to be a joke on many levels ... but I have qualified in my Introductory Thread to ATS that ...

Poisons and conspiracy to poison us, our minds and the environment, interest me!

And so I ask you to take me at my word and assume that DietJoke is play on that theme!

5] That I am medicated legally should directly and obviously imply that I have my psychiatrist to talk to and that I am allowed out in public without restrictions should directly and obviously imply that he considers me to be currently medically and socially stable!

Now if you have nothing to say on this threads topical subject I would suggest that you are out of bounds by posting what you have posted and I ask kindly that you find someone else to worry about as I am fine ... really!

Thank you for allowing me to clear up all those concerns!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DietJoke

I feel like I should understand what your OP is saying but I don't. I understand that this thread is about the study of bounds, in general, but I'm not sure if you meant it to be as open-ended as it seems.

What I can contribute is perhaps the concept of bounds (lines, borders, etc) being far more endogenous than people typically give them credit for. The "as above, so below" principles apply to boundaries in ways that people don't often think about. When I cast a circle, it not only represents a border for those who are present in the corporeal sense but also (especially) for those who are not. And it's not because that circle is "magic" (not entirely, anyway); it's because it's a boundary.

Why do you think you hear of haunted houses all the time but rarely haunted fields? Why do religious establishments feel so powerful (positive or negative, it doesn't matter) when you step inside yet that feeling diminishes when you exit the doors?

It's definitely worth a look at and I'm curious as to what you discover in your studies as it's always been a mystery to me.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

feel like I should understand what your OP is saying but I don't. I understand that this thread is about the study of bounds, in general, but I'm not sure if you meant it to be as open-ended as it seems.

Yes it is meant to be open ended! It is a very broad and deep subject that I am only just stumbling across myself!

What I can contribute is perhaps the concept of bounds (lines, borders, etc) being far more endogenous than people typically give them credit for. The "as above, so below" principles apply to boundaries in ways that people don't often think about. When I cast a circle, it not only represents a border for those who are present in the corporeal sense but also (especially) for those who are not. And it's not because that circle is "magic" (not entirely, anyway); it's because it's a boundary.

I appreciate you bringing up the hermetic and magic points of view and it ties directly in with stone circles like Stonehenge etc. and Leylines.

Why do you think you hear of haunted houses all the time but rarely haunted fields? Why do religious establishments feel so powerful (positive or negative, it doesn't matter) when you step inside yet that feeling diminishes when you exit the doors?

There is indeed something powerful about crossing the Threshold, which acts as the stone sill boundary of the house and delimits the crux point boundary marker of inside and outside the building.

There is much magic to do with crossing thresholds and I ask what information you can bring to this thread on that specific subject to enlighten us all about it.

It's definitely worth a look at and I'm curious as to what you discover in your studies as it's always been a mystery to me.

It is indeed a mystery to me and I am hoping to unfold it as much as I can!

Thank you for your reply!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
OK after further research I have found a Norwegian spell that specifically uses "Jordfaststeiner" aka boundary stones in a folk magic way to help cure Rickets ...

Folk Magic: To heal rickets with Jordfaststeiner.

Jordfaststeiner are the “fixed earth stones”, the ones used as property boundary markers.

To heal rickets with these, take three jordfaststeiner, dig them down into the coals of the fire and keep them there through the night. In the morning put one of the stones into the afflicted child’s wash water. It should make the water steam if it is strong enough. Use this water to wash the child. Afterwards, replace all three of the stones in their original holes.

(Stokker, Kathleen. Remedies and Rituals: Folk Medicine in Norway and the New Land. p. 168)

My old folk magic and folk medicine posts are presented as interesting preserved snippets of folk practice, not suggested actions.

... and is repeated on pages 159-160 in this book ...

Remedies and Rituals: Folk Medicine in Norway and the New Land

This spell seems to imply the robustness of the boundary marker stones [aka Jordfaststeiner] is transferred to the children's bones , conferring some kind of symbiotic protection! Wow!

I shall continue to update this thread as my research uncovers more valuable information!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

That's an excellent example of how 'imaginal' boundaries can be represented by something physical, and then in this case their own power is 're-harvested' and used to for health properties. We're complicated, eh? I'd never heard of this before.
Without reiterating too much of Cuervo's post above, I am really interested in what these stones, and other boundaries, represent and the meaning we take from them. The fact that physical boundaries don't have to be solid for us to acknowledge them is a really fascinating subject.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I dont have a clue what this thread is about it literally sounds like the ramblings of someone who is a few spanners short of a tool box.

I feel sorry for people like you when i read these threads on ATS because one of two things happen, you are made fun off and ridiculed or people come out of the woodwork and enforce beliefs that are most probably the result of a unstable mind. Neither of these approaches are fair to you, OP. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good thing you are fair and refrained from using either approach.....
edit on 19-4-2014 by PandorasBoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I am moving forward with research on this front ...

There is indeed something powerful about crossing the Threshold, which acts as the stone sill boundary of the house and delimits the crux point boundary marker of inside and outside the building.

There is much magic to do with crossing thresholds and I ask what information you can bring to this thread on that specific subject to enlighten us all about it.

And wiki provides ...

Threshold (door)

A threshold is the sill of a door. Some cultures attach special symbolism to a threshold.

Cultural symbolism
In many cultures it has a special symbolism: for instance, in Poland and Russia it is bad luck to shake hands or kiss across the threshold when meeting somebody. In many countries it is considered good luck for a bridegroom to carry the bride over the threshold to their new home.

... and we can see here that entry over the boundary of the household was symbolically magical in both positive and negative fashions and specific actions had an affect on the outcome of that act of passage!

This information, IMO, suffices for the needs of this thread in regards to the subtopic of magical thresholds and I am expanding my research in other directions for my next post!

Stay tuned!

new topics

top topics

join