It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Species Walking?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Could someone please tell me if this has any validity?
Or is it just bunk someone made up?
It's a report about a study which say's that the earth cannot support humanity due to gross overpopulation....

[Note to mods: I think I pu tthis in the right place and I searched and didn't find any other posts about this, but if this isn't in the right place feel free to move it.]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
If we cant change the way we operate here on earth, this will come to pass. There is to many people and not enough resources to go around. A huge thing we could do is look into more alternative energy sources. Also, a major curb in the population wouldnt hurt either. I can see a future where you have to get a permit just to have children.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
i also can see a point when we will all have restrictions eg the one child policy in china. Theres only so much resources to go round until either alternative resources have to be researched or we run out and cannot support the existing population. The population at the moment is around 6 billion i believe and imagine how much that will increase in the next century. It's clear something must be done because an overpopulated world cannot be sustained

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
There is always the Moon to get all of our energy need either through Solar or through the mining of Helium-3 which is theoretically usfull in Fusion(and the fact that there is 100 tillion dollars of the stuff up there and we wont have to worry about power for a long time)

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
What do you guys think War, Disease, Famine and Natural Disasters are for? War is built into us probably for just this purpose. Disease, Famine and Natural Disasters are the ways the bigger ecosphere system levels the playing field.

Here is the bottom line. A lot of people are going to die ugly deaths until there are fewer of us. As has been pointed out, our growth just cannot be sustained without some radical new factor we can't predict or account for. I'm reminded of Agent Smith in The Matrix, comparing humans to a virus.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
There is always the Moon to get all of our energy need either through Solar or through the mining of Helium-3 which is theoretically usfull in Fusion(and the fact that there is 100 tillion dollars of the stuff up there and we wont have to worry about power for a long time)

Not much food on the moon Sardion

E_T

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
I'm reminded of Agent Smith in The Matrix, comparing humans to a virus.
Well... not like virus, more like a cancer because viruses don't consume all resources of their "host".

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
I'm reminded of Agent Smith in The Matrix, comparing humans to a virus.
Well... not like virus, more like a cancer because viruses don't consume all resources of their "host".

I agree and unlike "animals", humans can't seem to figure out that a depleted resource rarely comes back.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I stopped reading on this particular topic when I realized it was hogwash. WE are capable of feeding the world, no proble; it is our piss-poor logistics and our propensity for living in inhospitable places that make it hard.
I believe we are also screwing things up by overusing soil, not allowing it to lay fallow as directed by the Creator, and overuse of chemical fertilizers.

I guess what I'm saying is the problem isn't overpopulation - it's overstupidity!

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne[/i

I guess what I'm saying is the problem isn't overpopulation - it's overstupidity!

and lack of thinking about future consequences of our behavior

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I have to go with Thomas on this one, overstupidity is far more the worry.

These overpopluation alerts have been around since the sixites and none of the horrible effects predicted then, for now have come to pass. This is another tactic (the overpopulation alerts) for other agendas I am sure. In the western cultures birth rates are down, through a combination of choice AND declining fertility.

We do have the resouces and the knowledge to sustain mankind, we just choose not to use them wisely. In addition, I have seen many predictions over the years of doom and gloom over what we have done to destroy a natural resource, and how long if ever it will take the earth to correct it, and ususally the minute intervention is applied, mother nature surprises the heck out of us with her ability to correct the situation.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Relentless, that is just in western countries, and as we all know most people do not live in western countries. Whats the ratio like 5 to 1 or somthing ridiculous like that? In order to bring the rest of the world to western standards we are gonna need alot more resources than we got on earth period. So your point is moot unless we can get everyone up to our standard.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Relentless, that is just in western countries, and as we all know most people do not live in western countries. Whats the ratio like 5 to 1 or somthing ridiculous like that? In order to bring the rest of the world to western standards we are gonna need alot more resources than we got on earth period. So your point is moot unless we can get everyone up to our standard.

I do not think my point is exactly moot, my point is the "great western world" is capable of solving these problems, whether or not we choose to is another issue.

Just so I am not misinterpreted, I do not think either that the solution of the west is necessarily to "get everyone up to our standards". That one makes me downright cringe for some reason.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I don't think "great western world" can make the necessary changes. "Great western world" thinks about MONEY (mainly) - not environment. There are a lot tribal people which still live according to rules of mother nature - and they don't want to get advanced on purpose... Example: Inuit people -they returned to their life style, when they realize civilization doesn't bring any good. Person: Zacharias Kunuk - native Inuit film director who created a lot of films about Inuit people and their life. Through his films he made Inuit people believe in their ancestors traditions again...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Population grows at an exponential rate, and although they have been predicting a problem since the sixties, the odds are likely that we will not even know we have a problem until the last minute. The mathmatical equations of ecology tell us this will be the case very soon.

The western societies only consume energy from other places, in return we help the "third world" grow and develop. The problem is that we destroy their natural resources to sustain our quality of life, and so they can only grow so much while we grow into a monster of consumption.

Disease, war, and famine will continue to increase as man competes for resources and comes into contact with each other more due to increased density. These are population controls that can be figured into the equations mentioned above, and still the carrying capacity of this world for human beings is imminent.

Managing our resources wisely is a only a current solution. Feeding the world can only happen by dowsing the soil with nitrogen fertilizers which will eventually poisen the soil after a couple of harvests. Not to mention it can kill off native plants and insects used to sustain the other animal populations. Also they would probably use genetically modified plants to increase the yield of the crops. There are numerous problems with this approach. This is a much more complicated problem than it looks from the start, and it would take alot of contemplation to try to untangle all the problems that could be derived by such a good intention.

I believe the most pressing problem will be lack of clean water. Most people do not realize that new water particles never enter the system, instead they are recycled over and over. Water can be purified if it stays in the right part of the system long enough, but only if it contains natural particulates, and I can assure you there are a bombardment of unnatural chemicles being dumped into the system.

Overstupidity is a real problem, I see it everyday, many times a day. We need to move out of the dark age of science now and move into an age where we don't have to be afraid to address these issues due to capitalism. The population may stabilize if a massive attack of a virus kills off half the world like the plague did, but we would still be left with a polluted world that would take ages to repair itself. We need to work on answers to managing our natural resources more sustainably. The first step is not denying that the problem exists.

top topics

join