It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Kiev launches Military Action in Eastern Ukraine

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Ok so I checked out the guest Max kaiser had on and here is what I found . newsvandal.com...
"I’ve got two new stories on the subtle partnerships behind the scenes of U.S. policy toward Ukraine and Russia.

The visible maneuvering over Crimea and the Cold War nostalgia expressed by belligerent U.S. politicians doesn’t quite match the corporate takeover we saw in Iraq. Rather, it feels more like Guatemala & the United Fruit Co. in 1953, or Iran & the CIA in 1953."

"To read my story on Condi Rice and Chevron’s new 50-year lease to develop shale gas in Ukraine go to BuzzFlash: The Business of America Is Giving Countries Like Ukraine the Business

Excerpt: Like most American Exceptionalists, Condi Rice’s bluster and posturing can be reverse-engineered to find the banal truth about U.S. foreign policy. For example, her steadfast belief that Ukraine “should not be a pawn in a great-power conflict but rather an independent nation” might have something to do with Chevron’s 50-year lease to develop Ukraine’s shale gas reserves.

When that lease was signed on November 5, 2013, it stoked Russian fears about losing its influence on, and a major gas market in, a former satellite. It also came on the eve of the much-disputed trade deal with the European Union that, once abandoned due to Russian pressure, led to the toppling of Ukraine’s government. Reuters characterized Ukraine’s “$10 billion shale gas production-sharing agreement with U.S. Chevron” as “another step in a drive for more energy independence from Russia.”

To read my story on growing investments by Cargill, Monsanto and Big Ag in the Soviet Union’s former breadbasket go to Consortiumnews: Corporate Interests Behind Ukraine Putsch

Excerpt: Despite the turmoil within Ukrainian politics after Yanukovych rejected a major trade deal with the European Union just seven weeks earlier, Cargill was confident enough about the future to fork over $200 million to buy a stake in Ukraine’s UkrLandFarming. According to Financial Times, UkrLandFarming is the world’s eighth-largest land cultivator and second biggest egg producer. And those aren’t the only eggs in Cargill’s increasingly-ample basket.

On Dec. 13, Cargill announced the purchase of a stake in a Black Sea port. Cargill’s port at Novorossiysk — to the east of Russia’s strategically significant and historically important Crimean naval base — gives them a major entry-point to Russian markets and adds them to the list of Big Ag companies investing in ports around the Black Sea, both in Russia and Ukraine.

Both stories touch on the “Deep State” of interlocking interests, political fixers and policymakers steering U.S. policy into a long-desired collision with Russia. Ultimately, it’s about opening the door to Ukraine’s resources for well-connected corporations." all the links to his articles can be found on the main link This link is to the artical on Cargil consortiumnews.com...
edit on 19-4-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Saturday, April 19
23:03 GMT:
One of the coordinating leaders of the pro-Russian movement in the eastern Ukrainian town of Kharkov was detained, Interfax quoted one of the coordinators of the ‘Borot’ba’ movement, Sergey Kirichuk, as saying.

22:18 GMT:
A group belonging to the radical Right Sector movement in the western Ukrainian city of Zhytomyr agreed to voluntarily surrender 21 boxes filled with Molotov cocktails and two 50-liter barrels of incendiary liquid to local authorities, RIA Novosti quoted Ukraine’s security service as saying. The move was explained as an effort towards de-escalating the situation in Ukraine following the Geneva talks.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

1. Russia

2. Russia

3. Russia

4. at least a bit about Ukraine

originally posted by: Rocker2013
4. Ukraine already has the support of numerous nations around the world, and they will rally to help the country back onto its feet. The same cannot be said of Russia. It supposedly has China, but even China is not willing to support Russia openly at the UN.

Maybe I should have clarified this more:
I was talking about the Ukrainians (as in the Ukrainian-people) not the Illegitimate Government in Kiev.
True, the Government has support... but what about the PEOPLE?

All they have for now is:
Their constitution infringed, their Nation torn apart, a Government they didn't elect, and that Government already passes austerity bills demanded by the IMF.

All of the above is fact. Read it. Read it again and tell me you would accept this if it happened to you.
edit on 19-4-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
05:15 GMT:
Four people with gunshots have been taken to a hospital in Slavyansk overnight, RIA Novosti confirms.

04:53 GMT:
Five people have been reportedly killed in a shooting in Slavyansk, a city in eastern Ukraine held by anti-government protesters.

The fatalities came after a night attack on a protester checkpoint on the outskirts of the city, a Rossiya 24 news channel correspondent reported. Four cars drove by the checkpoint and opened fire at local residents holding it, killing three people and seriously injuring another one.

A group of protesters, who had firearms unlike those holding the checkpoint, was called from their camp in the city. They opened fire at the attackers, killing two of them, the report said.

The protesters in the confrontation reportedly captured the attackers’ two cars. Firearms, explosives and aerial photos of Slavyansk were discovered there.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
10:02 GMT:

The OSCE mission in Donetsk does not possess evidence of any Russian troop presence in Ukraine, Interfax found out. The organization’s head, Klaus Zillikens, said that information appearing in the media regarding the number of victims of clashes in the Donetsk region is often unsubstantiated and not backed by evidence. This includes the Donbass region as well, Zillikens said.

09:26 GMT:

Anti-Maydan activist, Konstantin Dolgov, has been jailed for two months by Kharkov’s court for his role in coordinating the local protest movement, his lawyer told Interfax-Ukraine.

“We have five days to make an appeal,” Dmitry Tihonenkov, the lawyer, told the newspaper.

No details of the specifics of Dolgov’s crimes are being shared at present, but it is known that the charge is for the deliberate destruction of property

06:49 GMT:

The Ukrainian Interior Ministry has called on the former members of the Berkut riot police to stand up and fight against anti-Maidan protests in the East of the country.

Berkut were involved in confrontation with radical activists during the Ukrainian protests in February, defending governmental buildings in Kiev from crowds, pelting them with Molotov cocktails and stones. Protesters accused the police officers of brutality, so after Ukraine’s coup all Berkut units were disbanded.

Former Berkut members must forget that they used to be on different sides of the barricades and remember that “they are children of a united Ukrainian land, forget grievances, and leave behind all personal ambitions,” the ministry leaders said in a statement.

The statement says that “in February there was enough human wisdom to stop just short of fratricide. The plot to discredit Ukraine’s national statehood failed.” It’s not clear whether the ministry chose to dismiss the killing of more than 100 people during the Kiev protest as irrelevant, or decided to go against the position of the General Prosecutor’s office, which charged several former Berkut members with mass murder.

The attitude towards Berkut troops is one of several undermining the split in Ukraine following the February coup. Many anti-Maidan protesters hail them as heroes, who fulfilled their duty and resisted the violence of the radical activists. Some former Berkut members are reportedly taking active part in the protest movement in eastern Ukraine, which is defying Kiev.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
11:14 GMT:
The Russian Foreign Ministry expressed outrage over the deadly gun battle on Saturday night in Slavyansk. It said Kiev must deliver on its commitment to de-escalate the violence .

Washington and the neo-con Zionist are going to cause Putin to make a move again .You would think they would have learned a lesson earlier on the Crimea move .Kiev are not winning any points towards legitimacy and will in the end be ousted ..

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
19:06 GMT:
The Ukrainian Interior Ministry has announced the creation of a special units corps to maintain order in the southeastern parts of the country.

The move is explained by the “externally inspired separatist terrorist attacks, creation of gangs financed from outside the country, and the threat to internal law and order” in those regions, the ministry’s website said.

18:40 GMT:
The self-defense forces in Ukraine’s Donetsk region are expecting assaults on checkpoints and administrative buildings they’re holding in the town of Slavyansk at 18:00 GMT, Itar-Tass reports.

The anti-government activists are on high alert, with preparations to repel the attack underway, said Vyacheslav Ponomarev, the “people’s mayor” of Slavyansk.

According to Ponomarev, unidentified armed men were spotted gathering outside the town.

The self-defense forces failed to establish their belonging to any units of the Ukrainian military and say they are militants from the radical Right Sector movement.

18:09 GMT:
Machine gun fire has been heard in the center of Slavyansk, a city in Ukraine’s Donetsk Region, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported from the scene.

Anti-government demonstrators in Odessa have demanded the resignation of the head of the regional administration, Vladimir Nemirovsky, Vesti.ru reports.

Hundreds marched the streets of Odessa on Sunday, with the demonstration concluding with a rally at the city’s Kulikovo Field.

Protesters also showed their support to the idea of referendum on the federalization of Ukraine and urged the coup-imposed authorities to end political repressions.

The self-defense forces in Ukraine’s Donetsk Region said that three of their checkpoint in the suburbs of the town of Slavyansk came under fire by unidentified gunmen, Interfax news agency reports.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
23:50 GMT:
Educators from Ukraine’s eastern region of Lugansk have threatened the government with mass protests, chairman of the Lugansk Workers Union of Education and Science of Ukraine, Gennadiy Sorkin, said. He added that the decision was prompted by recent Cabinet decisions that would reduce the level of wages.

OSCE monitoring teams in Ukraine hope to get permission to visit the city of Slavyansk in Donetsk region “within several hours,” Michael Bociurkiw, media officer for the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine, told Interfax-Ukraine.

So far, monitors have not been given access due to safety reasons and instability in the city.

"While we are aware of reports of violence in Sloviansk, our monitoring teams have been unable to access the location due to security concerns," Bociurkiw said. "We'll try to visit Sloviansk in the next few hours," he added, stating that regional and local authorities are conducting negotiations with protesters at a number of occupied buildings.

"I can tell you that patience and caution in negotiations are working to provide our monitors with access to people," he said.

21:46 GMT:
Ukraine’s Interior Ministry has called on former Berkut special forces troops to rejoin the Ukrainian military. However, the troops are viewing the invitation with skepticism, chairman of the Association of Veterans of Berkut, Vladimir Krashevsk, told RT.

Ukraine is now forming the National Guard forces with children and the elderly, who do not have any proper training, Krashevsky said, adding that this is the reason why they called upon Berkut to return – because they have very few professionals they can rely on. “I don’t think even one Berkut unit would respond to the invitation,” he stated.
edit on 20-4-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious
I was talking about the Ukrainians (as in the Ukrainian-people) not the Illegitimate Government in Kiev.
True, the Government has support... but what about the PEOPLE?

You're not making much sense here.
The people have the support of the majority of the world, this is clear, as stated again and again by opinions expressed at the UN.

All they have for now is:
Their constitution infringed

Oh, the Constitution that their corrupt and criminal leader Yanukovych changed fundamentally without public support or consultation? You mean THAT constitution?

their Nation torn apart

By Russian forces invading Crimea and E Ukraine, pretending they weren't, and encouraging minority factions to overthrow those elected regional governments?
You can't have it both ways, you can't possibly whine about the Kiev government being illegitimate (despite the fact that the elected politicians are STILL THERE, after voting to remove the leader who opened fire on his own people then ran away after allegedly agreeing to a compromise for fresh elections), while ignoring the fact that Russia has supported more criminal (as recognized under international law) military interference in regional governments of Ukraine.

a Government they didn't elect

Their elected government is still in place, having removed their leader by democratic vote. There is also an election planned, but you don't want to recognize these facts because they weaken your position.

and that Government already passes austerity bills demanded by the IMF.

Like it or not, Ukraine is in economic trouble, not least thanks to a corrupt and criminal leader they had to remove from power. A government is charged with making the best decisions for the people who elect them, and as the Ukraine parliament is STILL FULL OF ELECTED POLITICIANS, this was the choice they had to make.

I'm no fan of the IMF, but just like many other knee-jerk anti-American's and pro-Russians you are carefully constructing your own reality to suit your opinions. Everything you've said about Ukraine is so far wrong, factually wrong. You can try and twist reality to suit your argument all you like, but your opinions on this do not change the actual reality.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Oh, the Constitution that their corrupt and criminal leader Yanukovych changed fundamentally without public support or consultation? You mean THAT constitution?

Yes, THAT constitution.

I'm aware about the several changes of Ukrainian constitutional law, since before 2004, including Yanukovich's “dictatorship laws” of January this year.

There are no doubt difficulties with it, but changes have to be made in accordance with the existing legal framework, and always legitimized by people. In order. Not in a chaotic situation like we have now, where people are dying.

You cannot seriously think the chaotic situation now is preferable to an orderly democratic process for the Ukrainian people, as was agreed on by the Weimar Triangle and Yanukowich on 20th february.

Why was this opportunity rejected? Who sabotaged this peaceful solution?

[their Nation torn apart] By Russian forces invading Crimea and E Ukraine, pretending they weren't, and encouraging minority factions to overthrow those elected regional governments?

True, I agree about this.
It is still important to acknowledge that dubious incidents also happened in the western part of Ukraine.
(See the influence of Prawyj Sektor)

You can't have it both ways, you can't possibly whine about the Kiev government being illegitimate (despite the fact that the elected politicians are STILL THERE, after voting to remove the leader who opened fire on his own people then ran away after allegedly agreeing to a compromise for fresh elections), while ignoring the fact that Russia has supported more criminal (as recognized under international law) military interference in regional governments of Ukraine.

I didn't "whine" about anything.
You are welcome to contest my sources (which you didn't btw) and debate my position. No need to be rude.
I also don't ignore Russia's breach of international law... all sides did, and I said this several times.

Their elected government is still in place, having removed their leader by democratic vote. There is also an election planned, but you don't want to recognize these facts because they weaken your position.

No, I do recognize the fact that elections are planned.
You didn't adress the fact yet, that the impeachment of Yanukovich wasn't exactly legal.
And are you saying the Government acting since february is the same as the one elected in 2012??

Like it or not, Ukraine is in economic trouble [...]

I agree.
I'm generally pro-austerity, given the measures are thoroughly planned and aiming for sustainability and ecological soundness.
Still, making a deal with the IMF without the consent of the people is outright traitorous (not necessarily in legal terms, but morally).

I'm no fan of the IMF, but just like many other knee-jerk anti-American's and pro-Russians you are carefully constructing your own reality to suit your opinions. Everything you've said about Ukraine is so far wrong, factually wrong. You can try and twist reality to suit your argument all you like, but your opinions on this do not change the actual reality.

I'm neither anti-American, nor pro-Russian. Why would you think that?
I'm very much against a single-sided view of the situation though, since the inevitable outcome of it would be war.
Again, no need to be rude or make this personal. If I'm wrong, please debate and address my sources.
edit on 20-4-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
The latest episode on Cross Talk on RT and the Ukraine situation www.youtube.com...

10:31 GMT:
Protesters in Lugansk have announced the creation headquarters for the coordination their activities in the south-eastern region, Itar-Tass found out. The base will be set up in Donetsk. This is taking place in an atmosphere of public gatherings aimed at tackling the kind of issues that will make their way into the upcoming May 11 referendum, including the question of federalization. rt.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
4:01 GMT:

Ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich demanded that the Kiev coup-appointed government withdraw National Guard troops from eastern Ukraine and start peaceful dialogue with the citizens of the eastern regions.

“You called millions of people terrorists. They have no other choice but to fight for their rights, their own life and lives of their children,” he said.

Yanukovich also spoke in favor of a referendum on Ukraine’s federalization, which should be followed by constitutional reform.

Ukraine: Protest pianist takes his tour to Donetsk www.youtube.com...

12:54 GMT:

US Vice President Joe Biden is to announce new economic and energy-related technical assistance for Ukraine during his visit to Kiev, a senior Obama administration official flying on board Biden’s plane told Reuters.

The assistance would help Ukraine boost energy efficiency and produce more gas at Ukraine’s own gas field. It may also include know-how on extraction of "unconventional" gas resources, the official said in a possible reference to fracking technology.

Biden will also offer American help in allocating future international aid effectively, and discuss a possible tranche of non-lethal security aid to Kiev.

12:40 GMT:

Irma Krat, a prominent Maidan activist and journalist, who was detained on Sunday in protester-held Slavyansk, gave a media conference on Monday.

The protesters suspect the 29-year-old of having close links to the ultranationalist Right Sector movement, which they blamed for the deadly attack on one of the protesters checkpoints early on Sunday morning

Krat denied having links with the radicals, and insisted that she had arrived in Slavyansk in her capacity as a journalist and said that the protest in Maidan, which she supported, and the protest movement in eastern Ukraine mirror each other.
She added that she was treated well by her detainers and that she feels fine.
Both Krat and the protest activists said she will soon be released
edit on 21-4-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
17:09 GMT:
Anti-government activists have entered the local headquarters of the Ukraine Security Service in the town of Kramatorsk in the Donetsk region, RT’s RUPTLY stringer reports from the scene.

The activists are currently installed in the building, over which the flag of the People’s Republic of Donetsk has been raised.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
23:55 GMT:
Federalization supporters in the Lugansk region have decided to hold a referendum in two stages about the status of the region, local media reported.

In the first stage of the referendum, scheduled for May 11, voters are to state whether they want to region to preserve its current status or become autonomous.

In the second phase, scheduled for May 18, residents of the region will state their opinion on whether the region should become an independent state or an entity within the Russian Federation.

23:14 GMT:
The first talks between the senior European mediator in eastern Ukraine and the leader of pro-federalization activists in Slaviansk have been held, Reuters reports.

Mark Etherington, an official with the OSCE special mission in Ukraine, met with Mayor Vyacheslav Ponomaryov for two hours to inquire if activists would comply with last week's Geneva accord and agree to disarm and vacate occupied public buildings.

"We did not negotiate, we talked. We told them our position, what happened here, and they told us about their plans,” Ponomaryov said during a news conference.

Ponomaryov also said that OSCE officials spoke with former Mayor Nelya Shtepa, adding that "she is under our protection."

22:29 GMT:
Vladimir Varshavsky was proclaimed to be “national governor” of Kharkov by pro-federalization supporters, local media reports.

Varshavsky already declared the creation of the executive committee, announcing the need to attract “skilled lawyers” and security officers to protect the interests of the region.

21:38 GMT:
Cities in the Lugansk region have formed a new government by electing local parliamentarians from each of the populated areas, following mass pro-federalization meetings in the region on Monday, Interfax Ukraine reports.

Valery Bolotov, commander of the so-called “army of the southeast,” was proclaimed the “national governor" of Lugansk.

He has pledged to take the region's court and police under regional custody, promising to coordinate his region's initiatives with other centers of pro-federalization uprisings in the southeast of the country.

20:21 GMT:
The self-imposed president of Ukraine, Aleksandr Turchinov, has appointed Valery Rudnitsky to head of the Ukrainian Security Service (SBU) in Donetsk region, the presidential press service announced.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Tuesday, April 22
12:02 GMT:
A draft law on amnesty of the protesters in south-eastern Ukraine has been registered in the country’s parliament, the Verkhovna Rada.

According to ITAR-TASS, the bill will see those, who “didn’t commit grievous crimes” since February 22 striped from criminal and administrative liability.

The authors of the bill believe that its adoption will “create a legal framework for the voluntary and peaceful solution to the existing domestic conflicts.”

This vid is a supposed fact that Russia is involved in Ukraine ,but is it prof ? www.youtube.com...
edit on 22-4-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
18:46 GMT:
The ‘People's Mayor’ of Slavyansk, Vyacheslav Ponomarev has confirmed to RIA news agency that bodies of two men with signs of torture have been recovered, but said that their murder could be a “provocation”.

Ponomarev said that the two victims – who were found naked floating in the local river on Sunday – have not been identified. On Tuesday, acting President Aleksandr Turchinov said that one of the men was pro-Kiev local deputy Vladimir Rybak, who had been responsible for organizing public demonstrations, and disappeared last Thursday. Ponomarev did confirm that Rybak’s relatives are on their way to identify the body.

“We need to look into this. Let’s wait for the results of the identification and the forensic analysis,” said Ponomaryev.

18:08 GMT:
RT stringer Graham Phillips says he has personally found VICE journalist Simon Ostrovsky in Slavyansk.

17:43 GMT:
The OSCE mission has met with parties on both sides of the stand-off when visiting Donetsk.

“We have had a useful and constructive meeting with representatives of the group occupying the Donetsk regional administration building; the Mayor of Donetsk; and Donetsk chief of police. They explained their positions,” said Mark Etherington, Deputy Chief Monitor.

“We also discussed the need for dialogue and the de-escalation of tensions, and the need to refrain from violence.”

Mission representatives have already visited Slovyansk and other eastern hotspots.

17:42 GMT:
In Kiev OSCE Chief Monitor in Ukraine Ertugrul Apakan has asked for the release of the reportedly abducted head of the Kramatorsk police department, who went missing on Monday night

“Coercion against representatives of the state is unacceptable, and I urge for the immediate release of Colonel Kolupai. These provocative actions run counter to the spirit of the recent Geneva Joint Statement to restore security on the ground, and can only worsen the existing tensions and contribute to further violence.”

Earlier the Ukrainian interior ministry reported that the policeman was taken hostage by self-proclaimed Donetsk Republic activists, who burst into the Kramatorsk station on Monday night, and demanded that Kolupai hand them over all police weapons.

17:04 GMT:
Acting Ukrainian President Aleksandr Turchinov has demanded that special services “resume productive anti-terrorist operations that will protect Ukrainians living in the east of the country,” his press service reported.

According to the statement, the renewed focus was provoked by the discovery of two “mutilated bodies,” including one belonging to nationalist local deputy Vladimir Rybak. The dead politician was found near Slavyansk, which has been in the grip of pro-Russian activists.

He accused the purported murderers of “crossing the line by torturing and killing Ukrainian patriots,” and said the illegal activities were carried out with “full support” from Russia.

16:32 GMT:
RT's Paula Slier documented the funeral of three men killed on duty at checkpoint in Slavyansk on Sunday.
edit on 22-4-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Wednesday, April 23

10:26 GMT:
Aleksandr Sapunov, who was proclaimed ‘People’s mayor’ of the eastern Ukrainian city of Gorlovka by anti-government protesters there, has announced his resignation.

“Following an attack, of which my close circle and I became targets, taking into account a threat to my life, I’m no longer going to fulfill duties of the ‘People’s mayor’ and also of the MP of the ‘Donetsk People’s Republic’,” he told RIA Novosti.

He said he will still be the leader of the local ‘City order’ movement and an active participant of the city’s self-defense.

Sapunov said unknown people blocked a car driven by his friend on April 16. When the assailants found out there was no ‘People’s mayor’ in the car, they drove away.
08:58 GMT:
Resumption of the military operation in eastern Ukraine is contrary to the Geneva agreement, a representative of the self-defense forces of the Donetsk Region, Sergey Tsyplakov, told RIA Novosti.

“The Kiev junta gets it the way they want. When it comes to vacating [government] buildings, only the east should do this… This is all cynicism and double standards,” Tsyplakov said.

08:46 GMT:
The military operation against protesters in eastern Ukraine, which the authorities in Kiev describe as an “anti-terrorist” one, has been resumed following its suspension during the Easter holidays , first vice-president Vitaly Yarema told journalists.

“Law enforcement agencies are working on the eradication of all groups currently active in Kramatorsk, Slavyansk and other cities of the Donetsk and the Lugansk regions,” Interfax reported him as saying.

Yarema said no military operations were carried out overnight.

Tuesday, April 22
23:30 GMT:
OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatović expressed concern about the work of journalists in eastern Ukraine.

“I remain deeply concerned about the ongoing negative pattern in relation to journalists’ safety in Ukraine,” Mijatović said. “I call on all those responsible to stop harassing and attacking journalists and let them do their job. Simon Ostrovsky should be released immediately.”

Simon Ostrovsky, a reporter for Vice News was sent to the Ukrainian city of Slovyansk to cover the pro-federalization protest when he was taken under the protection of the pro-federalization forces.

“Nobody abducted [him], nobody holds [him] hostage, he is now with us,” the "People's mayor" of Slavyansk, Vyacheslav Ponomarev said at a news conference after the mass media was quick to claim that Ostrovsky had been kidnapped. Ponomarev added that Ostrovsky was now “working, preparing materials,” adding that Ostrovsky holds Israeli and American passports.

A spokesperson for VICE said in a statement the publication is "aware" of the situation and currently in contact with the State Department.

"VICE News is aware of the situation and is in contact with the United States State Department and other appropriate government authorities to secure the safety and security of our friend and colleague, Simon Ostrovsky."

RT stringer Graham Phillips says via twitter that Ostrovsky will most likely be released in the morning because the “mayor tells me they are expecting an attack on the building, no one leaves.”

22:35 GMT:
Pro-federalization activists say that they are ready to vacate two floors and one of the halls of the Donetsk Regional State Administration so that its staff can resume work.

"Vital state functions, such as justice, perhaps, utilities and social services, the budget department - they will resume work," the head of the committee on media relations of the People's Republic of Donetsk Alexander Khryakov told Ria.
edit on 23-4-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Just as in politics and the ability of the party to throw some of their own under the bus I think that what we are seeing here is the Nazi group in Kiev actually killing some of their own and planting them in order to vilify the opposition in the east www.youtube.com... As we witnessed with them trying to play the Jew card I think this may in the end come back to bite them ..

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
What protesters being killed by people with tanks !

Just wait until Obama and his banker chums get to hear about this, he will soon sort it out.

Sorry what did you say, wrong type of protesters and we need to call them terrorists or separatists.

Yeah and that old lady with bright orange hair is clearly a Russian agent smuggles in from across the border because I can see she has stubble on her chin, your not fooling me.

Meanwhile pump prices are due to go up, it's called growing the economy because instead of adding the figures to the inflation number we just add it to the national GDP, us bankers are such smart people

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

These nazi party members doing all the dirty work in the east are going to be left to run wild, both sides will be capturing the atrocities on camera and then just when the time is right they will be hunted down and killed like dogs because they have become an embarrassment to Brussels and are hated by people who simply want a vote in the east ukraine.

I can be a bit right wing myself but this lot don't seem to have a brain cell between them all.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join