It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit Complaining -- $100K-Plus Earners Pay 72% of Federal Income Taxes

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Out of all the pages, I only saw one person who actually understands the progressive marginal income tax system we have here in the United States.

That having been said, there are points I disagree with and points I agree with in the the thread, but let me simply say this:

Of course the rich should pay more. They already are paying more. I honestly believe this "tax the rich tax the rich!" businesses is just a form of social justice. Perhaps the mega rich have more influence than they should, but what would taxing them more fix? It is nothing more than a mere attempt to spit in their faces.

What a lot of people don't realize is that when you are the CEO of a company, or part of the top percent, you aren't always paid in a pay check with dollars. For examples, you can be paid in corporate dividends, which are taxed differently than marginal income taxes. Hence why someone can make millions, but only pay 15% in taxes, ect.

Is that criminal? Eh. /shrug. Taxing the "rich" even more doesn't really benefit anyone except the federal reserve. There are those that have some weird idea that if the millionaires and billionaires are taxed at 90% somehow their own lifestyle will improve. As I said. Social justice.

edit on 4/18/2014 by UziXxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: UziXxX

"tax the rich tax the rich!" businesses is just a form of social justice. Perhaps the mega rich have more influence than they should, but what would taxing them more fix? It is nothing more than a mere attempt to spit in their faces.

tax the rich?

EAT the RICH. for they have been feeding off of ALL of us for DECADES!

social justice sure BEATS social injustice. the rich have exploited the poor in order to STAY rich, thru investing in commodities and hard assets. EVERY TIME we buy something, the markup goes into THEIR pockets.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry

originally posted by: UziXxX

"tax the rich tax the rich!" businesses is just a form of social justice. Perhaps the mega rich have more influence than they should, but what would taxing them more fix? It is nothing more than a mere attempt to spit in their faces.

tax the rich?

EAT the RICH. for they have been feeding off of ALL of us for DECADES!

social justice sure BEATS social injustice. the rich have exploited the poor in order to STAY rich, thru investing in commodities and hard assets. EVERY TIME we buy something, the markup goes into THEIR pockets.

I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, rich people invest and buy things as well as form businesses. May you please be a bit more specific?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: UziXxX

plantation owners formed businesses too!

when those that do all the work have nothing to show for it except; a roof, food, and the means to continue coming back.

THAT IS SLAVERY!!

eat the rich!!

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Like I always say the productive working class has been gouged, slapped and punished by the government in order to pay for the welfare class and the short comings of the wealthy elite.

To the point of almost bankruptcy, but hell don't tell that to the wealthy elite and welfare class, because in their books they have earned that right, thanks to the government.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

What exactly is the productive class in America? What is the basis of this moral high ground they occupy? They do all the work? Isn't our fundamental problem that making money and producing something are no longer fundamentally related? Production is handled almost entirely by machines and foreigners at this point, a few industries like farming and software design notwithstanding.

What does an investor actually produce? A tax return.
What does an employer actually produce? paperwork and the occasional rights violation.
What does the employee usually produce? a receipt for the sale of merchandise produced in China.

Everyone's marketing, moving, selling, managing, investing, loaning, repossessing... I bet for every guy actually making something there's 10 more people just fiddling around the thing after it's made, and for every guy who is making something worth having, there's a guy making postcards that sing in an age when there shouldn't even still be postcards.

You wanna know about the American economy? Watch rich people fight over an inheritance.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

very well stated.

most of them do nothing other than contract/hire people to find every way possible to squeeze money out of the rest of us.

Or take Real Estate FLIPPERS for example. They take something and 'slap a coat of paint on it' and then mark it up far higher than what someone would have paid to make the same 'improvements' to without them.

They are like the shady used car dealers of old that would do things like put sawdust in the transmission.

dont even get me started on used car dealers. they CONTRIBUTE NOTHING either, except put money in theirs and the banksters pockets. by shafting everyone that needs the cars outright. They get SPECIAL ACCESS to buy them FIRST CHEAPER.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: The Vagabond

What exactly is the productive class in America? What is the basis of this moral high ground they occupy? They do all the work? Isn't our fundamental problem that making money and producing something are no longer fundamentally related? Production is handled almost entirely by machines and foreigners at this point, a few industries like farming and software design notwithstanding.

You're right. That is a massive problem, but where is your solution? How will taxing the rich solve the problem of industries that have fled the U.S?

Or take Real Estate FLIPPERS for example. They take something and 'slap a coat of paint on it' and then mark it up far higher than what someone would have paid to make the same 'improvements' to without them.

Maybe some of them do that, but to actually up the value of a home, you have to make actual improvements. Besides, you can't decide to sell your home for what ever price you want. No serious home buyer would make an offer on a home that wasn't appraised.

dont even get me started on used car dealers. they CONTRIBUTE NOTHING either, except put money in theirs and the banksters pockets. by shafting everyone that needs the cars outright. They get SPECIAL ACCESS to buy them FIRST CHEAPER.

There are a lot of shady new car salesmen and used car salesmen. Buying a used car is a tricky thing because no matter what you're taking a big risk. But if you get shafted on a used car, its pretty much your fault. Buying a used car that isn't CPO (certified pre-owned) you're taking a huge risk. You have to be smart. But buying a car is kind of special case because when you think about it from an economic standpoint, a car is one of the worst investments you can make because the things are money pits and devalue like its no one's business.

The used car market is a great way to buy an affordable car. Not everyone has the money or credit to make monthly payments on something new. Where ever there is a market for something, there is a business to supply that market. Why is that so wrong? As for the dealers getting cars for cheap, yes. That is true. There are things called dealer auctions where used car dealers can buy cars whole sale. Most of these cars require mechanical or body work, and are rarely easy flips.
edit on 4/20/2014 by UziXxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
My last boss was one of those, 250k per year kind of guys.
he had all kinds of bookkeepers and accountants, people who specialize in tax law working for him.
know what... he paid less per year than I did.

250k, or even 1mil a year still is upper middle class. Yes. they pay the majority of taxes.

I do think for the most part the upper middle class has been manipulated to believe the are the upper class and with that a certain arrogance that many have, they also have been conditioned to believe that 'welfare queens' are responsible for the many budget shortfalls the US faces, but are ignorant or choose to ignore the fact that corporate welfare is a much bigger piece of the budget's pie. This creates resentment toward poor people.

Divide and conquer works!
edit on 20-4-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: UziXxX

Isn't it obvious? We've got machines that can make stuff- production is not the problem.
The problem is that 90% of the economy is gaming the system instead of making those machines run.

You tax the wasteful, non-productive, public-bad producing industries out of the country, so that the only way to make a buck is by running the machines that make civilized life so easy and comfortable, and because you now have a lot of production, the amount of productivity the government needs to operate represents a lower demand as a percentage of total production- everyone's a producer so everyone only has to chip in a litle bit. There is every reason to believe that we could eventually achieve abundance and a stable federal budget on 20 hour work weeks if we just kept building the technological support we need.

This is only complicated if you try to do it from the top down- oligarchs at the head of multinational corporations will not be able to organize a society where everything that needs to get done gets done organically without a long wasteful process that has to be gamed to make it work the way you want, because if everyone can get what they want easily without having to play a rigged game then although society becomes very pleasant it loses any semblance of central organization, which is a net loss for the oligarchs no matter what they get out of the deal, not to mention a nightmare for people who have spent the last 100 years convincing themselves that they had finally mastered mother earth and were almost ready to do it to the rest of the cosmos- imagine going from there's always an emergency and you can manage it to there is no emergency but if one comes you will not be in control of it. That's why things are messed up.

Imagine your town recovering from a nuclear war, in a vacuum from the rest of the world. Would you set up this system again? Or would it be, "everybody gather up all the appliances and generators that look repairable and lets see how easy we can make this on all of ourselves". We forget that it's not a game, that there's still wilderness out there and that several billion people die this year if we can't keep treading water. We think we have the luxury of fighting over our aspirations to a new neon beerlight in the rumpus room because we did this that or the other... shut up and pull or we're all screwed.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: NavyDoc

Oh, but the runaway Capitalist system is working????
I don't think so.

How do you explain the Reaganomic catastrophe that we are now enduring?

Failed capitalsim is what we are looking at right now.

Even at our worst, we are still doing better than Marxists at their best.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: NavyDoc
You explain faulty mathematics by using faulty mathematics? It's a very simple fact that higher wage earners do indeed shoulder the bulk of income tax already.

Go look at my example and break down how it's faulty.

I'll wait.

It's pretty simple. The guy who makes 200K is not paying less in terms of cash or in percentage than the guy who is making 20k. That is a false statement in the beginning--an untruth.
edit on 21-4-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

You don't give them anything. They take.

And that is the problem.

Maybe? I don't own one of those.

Fooled me.

I never said what I think even matters. That is why I don't usually speak in those terms.

Okay then.

No, I think they are just full of things you disagree with and that makes you see them a certain way.

I do disagree, and they are exaggerated.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

]Good news! I'm back!!!

Not surprised. You say your out, then back. This and that.

Dude. STOP blaming people for their 'career choices' or their 'life trajectory'....it's lame.

Yeah, because it is sooooo much better just to blame everyone else, companies, groups or anyone else for an individuals position in life.
Don't want people to take responsibility for their own life or actions, now do we.

Face the facts. The wealthy are not paying enough to keep the middle class alive. The middle class is being killed by the current policies.

By Wealthy, you mean people like those in power right now? Or Corporations like GE or Apple, the same that are huge donors to the current people in power.

And yes, the middle class is getting strangled. Thanks to Govt and people getting something for nothing.

I'm happy for you if you're rich, but your knee-jerk antagonism to people who aren't as well off as you are (blaming them) reeks of "capitalist elitism."

Nooooo. It is personal responsibility you have confused with "capitalist elitism". Funny, as your Authoritative Progressive Elitism is just fine in your world.
I do find in funny, that you would offer everyone else as the problem, except the individual.

So bully for you - you went on a course that disregards EVERYONE ELSE and amasses you wealth that you don't want/allow anyone else to touch.

Well, seeing as that I was the one that worked and earned it. Yeah.
I guess that since you own a vehicle, that anyone should be able to use it, because after-all, YOU don't think anyone should not be able to use it.

And your posts in this thread clearly indicate that you don't give even one turd about how others are suffering.

Really???
Who said I don't care?
Please show me where I stated such a thing.
My statements are about the Govt taking from me to give to others.
Being happy that the Govt steals from me, to give to others does not equal caring.

.....enjoy your vast wealth.
Pay no attention to the people slaving away to give you that opportunity - or should I say "good choice-making."

You forgot some of the other sad platitudes of "it's for the children", "what would Jesus do" or what ever one you can recall.

You honestly DON'T give a crap about other people's dilemmas.....
ugh.

Keep repeating a lie enough, and soon it will become your truth.
So, again........because I don't have happy sunshine feelings about the Govt stealing from me, taking a large portion of that money for itself and then handing out the remaining to others equates to me not caring???
You sure do love you some authoritative Govt.

One day you'll have to pay the piper.
And in this thread you are accelerating -- amplifying -- your obvious hatred for anyone who has a heart, who cares about other citizens.
But hey, you're right - none of it is your concern.
*eyeroll*

See above.

You got yours, right? And screw everyone else who chose a career path based on altruism, helpfulness, selflessness, and moderation in lifestyle. Right?

Pathetic.

WOW, sounds like most of the Babyboomers these days.

Funny, aren't you in that generation?
The well educated, intelligent and enlightened people that have sucked the SS program dry and such???

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

WOW, sounds like most of the Babyboomers these days.

Funny, aren't you in that generation?
The well educated, intelligent and enlightened people that have sucked the SS program dry and such???

Yes, I'm a Boomer. Yes, I grew up in the time of VietNam.
And no, I have not received one dime of social security, unemployment, food assistance, public housing, or ANY of those public welfare benefits. I just happen to care that people in this rich country are suffering, and corporations and greed are the CAUSE of it - not my attitude.

Your ire is misdirected!! And what exactly "sounds like most of the Babyboomers"?

Good grief. I can tell you'd hang me up by my heels, strip and flog me, and then burn me at the stake if you had the chance! Or just a bullet to the head? Good gawd man.

Why don't you run quick and get your name on the ballot? Lots of people would vote for you, and then you can have a hand in bringing down the entire middle class....which is what the life has been sucked out of.

Did you spend those 10 minutes reading the article I referred you to? Because if you did, you know what you're saying is untrue. If you didn't, I suspect it's because you're afraid you'll discover TRUTH.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
These days 100k doesn't go that far. The richest should be taxed this way. Like before Reagan came into office. Return the tax code to those standards. This country was prosperous then. Tax those who can afford it. Who makes the most, gets taxed the most. We have it backwards. Its become "take everything from those who have nothing".
edit on 21-4-2014 by Oannes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

after watching someone from an average working class family achieve this salary bracket, i get really angry about the amount of taxes expected from the government. Almost a decade of scrimping and saving, working long days, long commutes, studying on the train, at weekends, no social life, holidays etc. All that sacrifice to ensure financial security, but with that comes social responsibility to help those less able, not to help those who won't put the effort in. There are many of those types around. Its a really unfair system

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Oannes

Exactly! Thanks, Oannes.
Too many people just don't realize that what's happened since Reagan....is BECAUSE of what he did.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Yes, I'm a Boomer. Yes, I grew up in the time of VietNam.

Why am I not surprised.

And no, I have not received one dime of social security, unemployment, food assistance, public housing, or ANY of those public welfare benefits.

So, you just help others suckle the teat of Govt. Fair enough.

I just happen to care that people in this rich country are suffering, and corporations and greed are the CAUSE of it - not my attitude.

Taxation does not equal caring. No matter how much you want it to.

Your ire is misdirected!! And what exactly "sounds like most of the Babyboomers"?

Go and research many of the threads revolving around this.

Good grief. I can tell you'd hang me up by my heels, strip and flog me, and then burn me at the stake if you had the chance! Or just a bullet to the head? Good gawd man.

And where have I stated such BS?
Instead of leading with your bleeding heart, why not apply some logic.
And what are the reasons why I would be flogging you??? Is this Saturday night, safe word flogging? Or is this you stole a horse flogging. These situations are different.

Why don't you run quick and get your name on the ballot? Lots of people would vote for you, and then you can have a hand in bringing down the entire middle class....which is what the life has been sucked out of.

So, removing the heavy tax burden on the middle class will bring down the middle class?????
You really need to start thinking for yourself, instead of repeating talking points.

Did you spend those 10 minutes reading the article I referred you to? Because if you did, you know what you're saying is untrue. If you didn't, I suspect it's because you're afraid you'll discover TRUTH.

Afraid of being preached to by a Progressive???
Nope. I personally don't have a problem with people stating opposing views. I don't back silencing others.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oannes
These days 100k doesn't go that far. The richest should be taxed this way. Like before Reagan came into office. Return the tax code to those standards. This country was prosperous then. Tax those who can afford it. Who makes the most, gets taxed the most. We have it backwards. Its become "take everything from those who have nothing".

Actually, the rich would love to be taxed in that manner. Before Reagan, the top rates were much higher, but there were myriad of loopholes and tax shelters that made the actual rates lower than today. Yes, during the 80's the rates went down, but the tax shelters were largely removed so the rates of today better reflect what was actually paid. You point to a top marginal rate of 90% in, say the 50's, but nobody actually paid that. It plays well to the unwashed masses who don't understand, but hey.

Also, the 80's (named the decade of greed) were a prosperous time and Reagan era support for free enterprise fueled the tech boom of the 90's and early 2000's.

The mess you see today is due to leftist redistributions schemes and loans to those who couldn't afford them. Freddie and Fannie ring a bell? HUD acts?

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join