It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunked to Death

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think the main problem is people somehow think that just because something is a topic on ATS, it automatically is somehow more likely to be 'true' than if they read it on a geocities website. I will say this again- ATS IS JUST A WEBSITE. A very large website, but not some beacon of truth and light (not that I'm complaining, I like ATS, but it doesn't give me a hard on like some people
).

Most of then stuff here I read I know is fake without any analyzing whatsoever. If a story sounds like it was written by a 15-year old for a star Trek fanfic, it probably was. If the author doesn't understand the concept of a paragraph or capitalization, then I'm not even going to bother reading it.

Many of the people who register and post a fantastic story here once are doing it for #s and giggles. What better than to watch people argue over whether your story is true or not, when you know it's total BS?

Then there are the members here (and there are quite a few) who are medically insane. They're good for a laugh, although it does pain me that such people actualyl do exist. I guess I'm glad that they're always here and not out in the real world screwing things up.

Then there are just the idiots who believe anything they hear, and proceed to post it with "Is disclosure imminent???" or "The Bush-Avian Flu" Connection.

Then there's the people who are just so partisan in politics or other things (There are UFO partisians, too) that they will post anything and argue it to be true simply to advance their side or damage the others.

And finally, you've got the 1-5% of topics that are interestng, logical, thought provoking and ultimately true. But when you're swimming around in the stuff above, then you need to have a system of without mercy to get to them. If a story can survive the reaming it gets here, then it's worth a look.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
If the author doesn't understand the concept of a paragraph or capitalization, then I'm not even going to bother reading it.

Then there are the members here (and there are quite a few) who are medically insane.

i actually make documents that are made completely of all the capitals i leave out of my posts here(like i'm going to let ATS have my capitals, HA, NO WAY!).
i have designed a program which arranges the precious capital letters into random sentences. the first sentence that came up was, "YOU ARE A RAVING LUNATIC, THERE IS NO CODE!".

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Esoterica, you have posted what is probably the most concise, coherent, and accurate description of posts and posters that I have ever seen. ATS, compared to other 'conspiracy' websites, is a beacon or logic and reality, even though the number of truthful and valid items is unfortunately small.

And it is exactly for this reason that ATS needs to continue to "hyper-debunk".

One of the reasons I no longer visit any other sites like this is that there is no debunking at all; indeed, some of the "chem-trail" websites will ban anyone who even questions their theology.

Have a monthly "Way Above" on me, bud!

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I have this really Ironic (yes, I meant to capitalize it) desire to hyper-debunk your claim that it is destroying ATS, but I really can't.

All I can say is that we can't really say what ATS is or is supposed to be. We come here because we like it. We particpate because it makes us feel good. We don't like everything about it sometimes.
Oh well, so it isn't perfect. Just lump that in with your country, your spouse, your job, your self, and your pets. It's here, it's good, and it probably isn't going anywhere. What more do we want?

[edit on 8-2-2005 by The Vagabond]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join