It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a Laser Warning Sensor?

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
A set of "missile approach warning (MAW)" sensors on the wing leading edges and the tailcone, based on the GEC-Plessey PVS2000 MAW and using pulse-Doppler radar technology. RAF Eurofighters have a laser-warning sensor in front of the cockpit.

Source www.faqs.org...

My question is this: Is the RAF acknoledging laser weapons or is it due to laser guided missiles? Or my be both hay i do not know!

Rick

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
They warn that the aircraft has been targeted by a laser designator, in the same way as RWR tells the pilot someone is tracking him on a radar.

I think some people are getting too carried away with the idea of Laser weapons. They are being researched and will come one day but I disagree with those posts I have read on this site that claim it is to be used on the F-35. I think the true position is that the F-35 has been designed with an eye towards incorporating laser weapons at some stage, probably as a MLU, but as the only working (and as yet fairly costly unreliable) airborne laser weapon has to be carried by a 747 then I think that shows how far off it being a standard weapon on board a fighter is.

I know thats not what you asked but I've wanted to get that off my chest for a while now and your question reminded me of the fact

RAB

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Does that mean when a RAF typhoon is flying down the high street. The system will tell him, that he is going to get a speeding ticket?

On that note another question? :-)

So the RAF typhoon knows that a laser is locked on the if we were clever it would be v.funny to program a weap like the brimstone to fly back down the laser to the target!

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
It would wouldn't it

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I read about a system some time ago that they were thinking of integrating on the Typhoon, some sort of anti-blinding device to counter errant lasers, but I don't know if it was binned like Direct Voice Input.

RAB

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
NOt sure were I got this from but a seem to to remeber some claims that the Royal navy were using laser during the falklands to bblind the pilots on the other side!

Any ideas?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cjwinnit
I read about a system some time ago that they were thinking of integrating on the Typhoon, some sort of anti-blinding device to counter errant lasers, but I don't know if it was binned like Direct Voice Input.

Are you sure that DVI was binned? I have not seen anything about it and a google search just before I posted turned up nothing either.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Are you sure that DVI was binned? I have not seen anything about it and a google search just before I posted turned up nothing either.

I think it[s been delayed until at least Tranche 2.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
All sources I have seen always said it was to be incorporated into tranche 2 anyway, same as the HMAS.

There's a lot of advanced stuff being put into the Typhoon, despite what the 'professional againsters' like to think (and say) and it was always going to be done in stages.

This is a normal pattern for UK aerospace as it has always been so, I well remember the article in Flight International after the first flight of the Tornado F.2 that pointed out that the first operational models with the RAF would be equivalent to an "F.2 and a half" before the full F.3 standard was achieved, yet when the press found out that the first couple of sqns had some equipment missing they tried to report it as some sort of calamitous failure. Sadly a lot of people believe everything in the papers and some of them put it up on websites where others believe it too

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   

There's a lot of advanced stuff being put into the Typhoon, despite what the 'professional againsters' like to think (and say) and it was always going to be done in stages.

It's one sick-ass plane that's for sure, shame it's a little late though..

This is a normal pattern for UK aerospace as it has always been so, I well remember the article in Flight International after the first flight of the Tornado F.2 that pointed out that the first operational models with the RAF would be equivalent to an "F.2 and a half" before the full F.3 standard was achieved,

Who can forget the Tornado with Blue Circle radar...

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Ha ha! I remember that too

new topics

top topics

join