It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first Chinese Zeus anti-air warships are built

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 08:29 PM
link   

-edit- in the future, do not link to images wider that 600 pixels -edit-

This ship is the same type as the Zeus ship of america, serving as guard of carriers.
It weighs 8000tons. carries 64 anti-air missile; 16 anti-ship missile;
It is as good as 'Tikangderoga" built by usa in the 1980s, which are still in service today (the name is only approximity )
it carries the most advanced kind of radar(i don't know how to translate), consisted of four pieces near the top building of the ship
there are 2 being built this year, and 2 every year in the future
photo are not allowed officially, so i took this rather poor photo
you can see at the left top, the thing hidden under the big near- half-cylindrical iron cover, is just one of the four radars
up till now, only usa, uk, france, japan, china can build such anti-air guard ship; even russia can't.
and china Zeus ship is the only one built without the official help from usa government
when china carrier emerge about 10 years later, these guard ships will demonstrate their ability

[Edited on 28-5-2003 by William]

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Its a weird shape, the way the hull sweeps up and forms the superstructure, personally i have never heard of any Zeus vessels, But that thing doesnt look a match for a ticonderoga class vessel.
And i'm sure if it was a match, the PLAN would be showing it off to plenty of news org's.

Its probably some refitted soviet ship and the lack of chinese insignia lead me to think that it may not be chinese at all.

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
well how can you doubt my honesty?annoying!
if you can read chinese, you can go to:
www. cjdby.com
there are plenty of good pics on that site
this is one of the two being built in jiangnan ship factory
just two weeks ago this ship went to water, and every military fan in china cheered greatly

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
"when china carrier emerge about 10 years later, these guard ships will demonstrate their ability"

Do you think the technology will be any good by that time?

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
"when china carrier emerge about 10 years later, these guard ships will demonstrate their ability"

Do you think the technology will be any good by that time?

Once they steal the technology out of every american business over there prohably. But remember we still have at least a 20yr. technology curve on them but i fear that window is slowly closeing on us

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Have a look at this site on Chinese Destroyers. Very Interesting.

utenti.lycos.it...

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 10:03 PM
link   
What I see in this picture (after consulting "The Encyclopedia of World Sea Power" edited by Chris Bishop, 1989, so may be slightly out of date) is a superstructure that at least superficially resembles that of the Meko 140A16 Class Frigate, currently in use by Germany and Argentina.

The curved panels visible on the superstructure are very similar to the radar panels on the superstructure of the US Arleigh Burke Class destroyers, which also bears a striking resemblance to this vessle.

Immediately in front of the superstructure, a small turret is visible with a shroud over most of it, with barrel covers at the muzzle. This very much resembles the Soviet AK-630 30mm anti-aircraft/anti-missile Close in Weapons System (CIWS). This system is essentially a modified copy of the US MK-16 20mm Phalanx CIWS, except using a 6 barrel 30mm radar controlled autocannon. Placement of this weapon high in the foredeck in front of the superstructure is consistent with modern Soviet naval layout.

The small bulwark cutout just forward of the CIWS unit appears to show the very rear of a horizontal launch rack of some type. While this is common in Soviet designed vessles, it is an old design, and usually relegated to launch applications associated with cruise/anti-ship missiles. Most modern Anti-Aircraft missile systems, including current soviet design, revolve around verticle launch modules, usually located amidships.

What I find VERY interesting in this picture is the forward mounted gun emplacement. This is (absolutely no doubt in my mind) the FRENCH manufactured Model 1969-II Creusot-Loire Compact 100mm gun turret. The turret contours are exactly identicle, the barrel mounting fins at the base of the barrel are identicle, and the bore evacuator (the tube running under the barrel) are identicle to the photos in my book.

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Now thats graphic INTENSE! I took more than a min. to load the pic!

Hmmm, I wonder if that would be a better opponent than the Chieftain MBT and Centurion MBT I spared last week.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Are you sure these aren't just Russian Sovremenny class ships?
THe PLAN is talking about an aircraft carrier (the one they have ex-Soviet is still rotting in harbour).
It's been my impresion that the Chinese have recognised that they'll need to continue to buy Russian for a while.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I got to the message-board: not that many warships are built at Shanghai (Jiang Nan) and this, I am sure, is just the Lu Hai class: the best China's ever built but no match for anything the US has and no match for what they can buy off the Russians.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I've been looking and it is the number that baffles me: Hull-number 170 was definitely under construction at the start of 2003 because I saw a photo of it - this must be still under completion.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
What I see in this picture (after consulting "The Encyclopedia of World Sea Power" edited by Chris Bishop, 1989, so may be slightly out of date) is a superstructure that at least superficially resembles that of the Meko 140A16 Class Frigate, currently in use by Germany and Argentina.

The curved panels visible on the superstructure are very similar to the radar panels on the superstructure of the US Arleigh Burke Class destroyers, which also bears a striking resemblance to this vessle.

Immediately in front of the superstructure, a small turret is visible with a shroud over most of it, with barrel covers at the muzzle. This very much resembles the Soviet AK-630 30mm anti-aircraft/anti-missile Close in Weapons System (CIWS). This system is essentially a modified copy of the US MK-16 20mm Phalanx CIWS, except using a 6 barrel 30mm radar controlled autocannon. Placement of this weapon high in the foredeck in front of the superstructure is consistent with modern Soviet naval layout.

The small bulwark cutout just forward of the CIWS unit appears to show the very rear of a horizontal launch rack of some type. While this is common in Soviet designed vessles, it is an old design, and usually relegated to launch applications associated with cruise/anti-ship missiles. Most modern Anti-Aircraft missile systems, including current soviet design, revolve around verticle launch modules, usually located amidships.

What I find VERY interesting in this picture is the forward mounted gun emplacement. This is (absolutely no doubt in my mind) the FRENCH manufactured Model 1969-II Creusot-Loire Compact 100mm gun turret. The turret contours are exactly identicle, the barrel mounting fins at the base of the barrel are identicle, and the bore evacuator (the tube running under the barrel) are identicle to the photos in my book.

Dragonrider, you are a treasure trove of information! Where did you say you got this info.? Is it available on the internet?

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 05:34 AM
link   
A good point about the French connection, dragon-R: there's something very LaFayette-class-ish about the ship.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Dragonrider, you are a treasure trove of information! Where did you say you got this info.? Is it available on the internet? Posted by Barba007

I got this from the book "Encyclopedia of World Sea Power: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of the Worlds Navies and their Warships", dated 1989 (have had it for a while, so might not be the most up to date book available), edited by Chris Bishop, Aerospace Publishing, Crescent Books, ISBN 0-517-65342-7.

As far as availability on the web, this info most likely is, I havent looked for it though. If anyone has more up to date info on this subject, please let me know.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
elitelongbow, I don't want to be annoying, but the next time, just try to think about the bandwith and to us, poor users, who have to download your pic. Also, think about the screen. Even with my 19 inch screen, your pic is out of the screen.

The pic is too much bigger. 2048 x 1536 and 1268137 octets.

When you've a so big pic, just post the link, or if you really want to post it, try to reduce it as I did it to show you.

Use this website to store your pic : mig.lathwood.co.uk...

Thank you.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This type of ship kicks a$$ while suspicions are creeping into my mind ...

I highly doubt the Chinese have stolen technologies for this ship from western countries,especially this ship dares to equip VSL and Aegis Command and Control System...

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitelongbow
It weighs 8000tons. carries 64 anti-air missile; 16 anti-ship missile;
there are 2 being built this year, and 2 every year in the future
photo are not allowed officially, so i took this rather poor photo

Hi,elitelongbow,

You ought to reconsider what you are doing if you plan to send those "photoes officially not allowed"taken by you to elsewhere,to gain respect ?
Remember as being Chinese just like you and me,it's our duty to behave ourselves,do you agree ?We simply shut up this helps our engineers to continue their jobs till they're finished.

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
www.globalsecurity.org...

The original ship in the class was the Shenzen, they may indeed have over 64 surface to air missiles via a VLS system. I do no think however they are in the same class as the Ticonderoga class which carries over 128 missiles in 2 sets of VLS cells.

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
More reason to sell/gift Taiwan Aegis crusiers.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Though the Zeus looks impressive it will not be a match for the DD-X

top topics

<<   2 >>

join