It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard of "Mrs Betty Bowers"? Wow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I discovered this youtube channel/website by accident over the weekend.
I've watched several of 'her' videos now, and she makes Stephen Colbert and the old SNL Church Lady look quite tame by comparison.

I don't know anything about her except for the vids I've watched.

Here's the link to the 'home page': www.youtube.com...

And here's one of the vids here:

What do you guys think? Pretty pushy.....
but I can't say I don't agree with the character's position. Reminds me of Stephen, but more vitriolic....

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

Hate to break it to you (well, not really, lol,) but it's a satire.

Landover Baptist Church

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Reminds me of George Carlin's Rant on Religion. I won't embed it.

Link - Religion is BS

LOL...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

She looks, acts and sounds like Callista Gingrich.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Irony is the root of all comedy. Truth is the root of all Irony.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
All i can say is that she is CREEPY !
also had to add.. Only in America !
edit on 14-4-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

but I can't say I don't agree with the character's position.

About the atheist church bit, yah. Is there an atheist religion? Do they have big clubhouses and little plates they pass around?

Organized religion has many "enemies".

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

About the atheist church bit, yah. Is there an atheist religion? Do they have big clubhouses and little plates they pass around?

Ironically enough, yes.

Sunday Assembly - It's all the best bits of church, but with no religion, and awesome pop songs!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Well, I know quite well that it is! LOL!!!

Yes, it is. Satire bon piquant. (If that's incorrect French, forgive me, I only know a few phrases and basic conjugation).

I am just astounded by the audacity of it, honestly.

I mean, as an agnostic, I am not offended by satire (I think Colbert is a hero), not at all -
but this "lady" hits it really hard. Harder even than the Church Lady, who is still being reviled by fundies. I'm just wondering if other members have seen Mrs Bowers. Reminds me of the animated atheist shorts that were circulating a couple of years ago.

Like I said, I accidentally came across it, and considered how offended people might be by it. It seems to really be pushing the envelope...rather like the notorious 'Benghazi' short film that resulted in slaughter due to Muslim 'outrage'.

The movie "Noah" is being ripped apart also. And Jon Stewart does a great job of covering said 'fall-out'.
WATCH: Jon Stewart Hilariously Mocks Confused Christian Critics of 'Noah'

I don't know how to embed anything but youtube vids....but the article linked above has a clip of that part of the show.

(The talking heads claimed the movie was all sorts of offending -- again, I do not side with the fundie Christians in this matter).

Jon Stewart did not really talk about whether or not he thought the top-grossing action flick "Noah" is a good movie or not last night. But he did point out that despite a lot of clamoring and complaining among Christian kooks that Hollywood just does not "churn out" enough religious movies, they are still not happy with "Noah." What gives?

One genius pointed out that the movie is "not a documentary."

"Really?" Stewart retorted. "So you're telling me a movie about a man who lives to 950 and loads two of every animal into a 300-cubit long boat . . . is not a documentary?"

See the link for access to the clip and the rest of the very brief report.

Thanks for responding.

As for my position, well, anyone is free to ask me questions. I'm not a conservative Christian, and I'll just leave it a that.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Things would be a lot funnier if there weren't so many people who tell it's all satire or comedy before putting themselves and their own group off limits for the same treatment.

There's a reason I like South Park. Parker and Stone don't hold anyone or anything sacred.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Well, shut me up! Thanks for the link. I see they meet on Sundays and…

Hearing talks, singing as one, listening to readings and even playing games helps us to connect with each other and the awesome world we live in.

Sounds like another church to me. Boring. Imagine meeting in the same place and doing the same thing week after week after…

Snoring…

I prefer a clear night sky. Wonder is worship. The heavens are the cathedral. My soul, the temple.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

DaphneApollo
Reminds me of George Carlin's Rant on Religion. I won't embed it.

Link - Religion is BS

LOL...

Love George Carlin!! He was the best.
Second line

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

There's a reason I like South Park. Parker and Stone don't hold anyone or anything sacred. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Based on your post history, this is really unexpected.

South Park nails it consistently.
So - what do you think of this Mrs Betty Bowers?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

George Carlin was one of the kind, i don´t really see that facetious in serious issues like Carlin had, in this woman and she isn´t even funny.
edit on 14-4-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I don't know what I think about her. Does she also lampoon everyone else?

The reason I like South Park is because they take shots all across the bows of everyone. Yes, they can tick me off on occasion, but I am aware that they also tick off everyone else, so I know they aren't targeting me (or "my kind") in particular. That's what makes it work for me.

As I was explaining, when the only target of your comedy is one group and that one group tends to be the only PC group to make fun of ... it stops being funny to me. If you can make fun of me, you can make fun of everyone else, too. It gets old to feel like the constant butt of most people's none-too-kind jokes. Generally speaking, I avoid being consciously and constantly insulted like that. You can tell when you are not being laughed with, but laughed at.

George Carlin is (or rather was) someone else who was non-PC and tended to be equal opportunity. I generally appreciate him, too.

edit on 14-4-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Does she also lampoon everyone else?

Of course not.

If she was lampooning any other religion or group of people, the PC crowd would shout her out of existence, and likely accuse the owner of the web site of promoting "hate speech."

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

If she was lampooning any other religion or group of people, the PC crowd would shout her out of existence, and likely accuse the owner of the web site of promoting "hate speech." - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

To you and ketsuko both....
I have no idea what her motive or sponsorship is. I had never seen, nor heard of, her before. Just thought ATS might be interested in her/their series of shorts.

In any case, best that it's been moved over here to jokes. It was pretty controversial and there's no denying that. Even from an agnostic's pov.

Thanks for your contributions.

new topics

top topics

join