It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Jet Provokes U.S. Military Naval Ship

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

rickynews
reply to post by rickynews

Who thinks that the U.S. Should reinstitute the missle Defense system in Poland, so as to defend NATO allies from the potential of an Iranian or other ballistic missile ? I think we should.

You are aware, I take it, of the Russian countermeasure to your defensive missile shield?

There are approximately 17 million shipping containers worldwide.

So much for that idea eh?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

redshoes
reply to post by Darkblade71

What's the point in sending more ships if they are just going to sit there while the Russians make low level passes within strike range? How is that supposed to reassure the Ukrainians? If you're not prepared to take action to defend yourself how in the name of god are we supposed to believe that you're going to take action to help the Ukrainian government.

Looks to me like the Russians just called Obama's bluff in the Black Sea.

It is way to early to say a bluff has been called yet.
Although the way things have been ran in this country the last 6 years, you could very well be right in the end.
A sad situation when almost no one has faith in their countries leadership anymore.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by squarehead666

And? The missile defense system was never designed to stop everything. That's just not possible. It was designed to limit the damage, and stop a limited missile strike using theater ballistic missiles.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   

And what should they have done? Shot it down? Activated all their electronics to show they were serious and let them get all the information they wanted about the radar and ECM systems?

This situation was handled in the only way possible outside a shooting war.

(post by squarehead666 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'm not saying they didn't do the right thing, I'm just saying that a lot of people have doubts that in the end they won't screw this up somehow and make us look worse than we already do to a lot of the world.

I certainly don't think they should of shot it down,
although a few warning shots would of been called for.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

This has happened a lot more than you think since the current administration has been in office and it hasn't been screwed up before. Why should this time be different?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Darkblade71

I'm not saying they didn't do the right thing, I'm just saying that a lot of people have doubts that in the end they won't screw this up somehow and make us look worse than we already do to a lot of the world.

I certainly don't think they should of shot it down,
although a few warning shots would of been called for.

There is no such thing as a warning shot in the laws of armed conflict and the maritime laws. You go hot, and there had better be enough justification to fully engage or not at all.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I'm reading several Pro-Russian, Anti-U.S. posts that seem to have a "bravado" tone to them in terms of suggesting somehow that Russia has superior military power over the U.S.
I suspect some, if not many of these suggestions, are originating from Russia or other anti-U.S. factions in Europe.

In any case, the notion that Russia is in any way superior to the U.S. Military (or otherwise) is complete non-sense, and borders on laughable.

The power of the U.S. Military is incredible. There is no military in the world that even comes close to the capabilities of the U.S. Army, Navy, Airforce, and Marines, and the superior technology available to them. This isn't opinion, rather it is fact, as any credible and Independent Global Military Analyst would confirm.

The U.S. Is the only Super-power, and just as President Obama stated, Russia is but a Regional Power. I sincerely hope, for their sake, that Russia refrains from any further provacative acts, otherwise the U.S. Military will indeed respond at some point, and will defend itself from an attack, or potential or perceived threat of attack, and such U.S. reponse will Not turn out well for Russia.

If Russia believes that further military provocations will send the U.S. Naval Ships or Fleet back or out of the Black Sea and Region, they are sadly mistaken.

Like it or not, the U.S. Naval fleet is in the Black Sea to stay, at least for a good long while, and they will continue to serve as a deterrent from further Russian aggression in the region, especially directed or carried out towards any NATO allies of the U.S.
edit on 15-4-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Zaphod58

And? The missile defense system was never designed to stop everything. That's just not possible. It was designed to limit the damage, and stop a limited missile strike using theater ballistic missiles.

Zaphod.....I genuinely respect your opinions and posts, we've sparred often enough and I think we've both come out fairly unscathed.

We are both reasonably aware of the military capabilities of Russia and NATO, at an academic level it's a fascinating subject, but this is no longer academic.....We are rapidly approaching the point where these systems may get the ultimate test.

Is that something any of us should want.....Really?

rickynews

I'm reading several Pro-Russian, Anti-U.S. posts that seem to have a "bravado" tone to them in terms of suggesting somehow that Russia has superior military power over the U.S.

The notion that Russia is in any way superior to the U.S. Militarily (or otherwise) is complete non-sense.

The power of the U.S. Military is quite underestimated, and that is likely by design. There is no military in the world that even comes close to the capabilities of the U.S. Army, Navy, Airforce, and Marines. This isn't opinion, rather it is fact, as any credible Military Analyst would confirm.

The U.S. Is the only Super-power, and just as President Obama stated, Russia is but a Regional Power. I sincerely hope, for their sake, that Russia refrains from any further provacative acts, otherwise the U.S. Military will indeed respond at some point, and will defend itself from an attack, or potential attack, and such reponse will not turn out well for Russia.

If Russia believes that further military provocations will send the U.S. Naval Ships or Fleet back, they are sadly mistaken.

The U.S. Naval fleet is in the Black Sea to stay, at least for a good long while, and will continue to serve as a deterrent from further Russian aggression in the region, especially NATO allies of the U.S.

My Dad is bigger than your Dad much.....Don't project your imbecilic attitude onto me mate.

What I'm saying here is this is not some tinpot middle-eastern s**thole we are talking about, this is a country that has demonstrated in the past it's capability (and will) to soak up twenty eight million dead.....And win!

Not only win, but then proceed to dominate the continent of Europe and totally preoccupy the worlds other superpower for decades thereafter.....And you want to pick a fight with them!

You must be mad!!

edit on 15-4-2014 by squarehead666 because: content

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

We've actually been a lot closer. And while I agree that the last thing anyone wants is to see those systems actively used, I don't think we're closer to a major war than we have been in the past.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Some people here just don't get it, the propaganda is just too much for them.

Russia could not keep spending like it was doing and matching the USA ship for ship so they paused and came to the conclusion that it was better to concentrate on missiles development because a missile doing 4000mph plus and only costing a few million $USD could take out a $10bn aircraft carrier.

This is why all the big parts sent up to the ISS were all sent up by Russia, they are miles ahead of the USA.

Not happy with that they then went on to developed torpedo's that can travel at 700kmh under water.

Did no one learn anything from the AK47 ?

The USA has made the same mistake as Hitler did with the panza tank, best in the world but it cost far to much and Russia could make ten tanks for the price of one german tank.

Keep playing with the bear and Washington will find out just what happens when a 200kt nukes goes off over head and no one even saw it coming and as for the ships, well they are sitting ducks against a contry like Russia.

Russians don't cower from a police state, americans do so if push comes to shove then I think that Russia is more than a match for our unwelcome visitor in the black sea.

rickynews

Who thinks that the U.S. Should reinstitute the missle Defense system in Poland, so as to defend NATO allies from the potential of an Iranian or other ballistic missile ? I think we should.

The last time I looked at a map I saw Poland as being part of Europe and not an extension of the USA, silly me for asking what the USA was doing by telling us in Europe where we should place missile systems.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Well, it might not be.

But I think at this present moment and time, we are being targeted to look stupider and stupider.
I think Russia is taking full advantage of our current administration.

But then, I could be totally off base, I even hope I am.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
My support will always go the the US because of the troops our families and friends that serve. That being said the majority of the USA's citizens are isolated and believe everything the government tells them. I have traveled throughout the world and the scary picture the government draws if other countries is clearly propaganda, We have all been conditioned at some point or another to believe that countries that don't follow the same ideologies of democracy are tyrannical waste lands. The governments of both the US and Russia are not looking out for the best interests of its citizens. The pissing contest is ongoing and i fear both Putin and Obama will not sacrifice face in dealing with this situation. I pray that this continues at a snails pace in escalation until we can elect someone with a fair bit more diplomatic tact and stern posture. Its only a matter of time at the rate we are going that not only Russia but others that hate our way of like realize Obama has a really small penis.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Russia was not only bogged down, but defeated in Afghanistan after 10 years. U.S. Forces took Afghanistan in 10 weeks. You tell me...,mate.

edit on 15-4-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by VirusGuard

Add last time I checked Poland wanted the system there. They have accelerated their own system development plans because of this situation.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Russia always takes advantage of whatever situation they can. But the military chess game hasn't changed in 30 years despite what the media says.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Were being targeted to look weak and stupid. Mostly Weak. In the next two years , you will see this current administration destroyed and humiliated and appear weak to other nations. Just so they can place a War president in office in 2016.

Think about it. The world goes to #. People are being beat down on a daily basis one way or the other. By 2016, people will be begging for a leader to save us. Its all orchestrated on the globe by the elites.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I very much hope you are right.....I would beg of you not to encourage some of your more enthusiastic countrymen in their flag waving though.

We all know the US has an obscenely strong military (how's paying for that going BTW).....Whether it's fit for purpose remains to be seen.

The French Military was viewed in a vey similar way in the 1930s, many other nations based their military on the French model.....Problem was the French model was designed to win the last war, not the one they actually found themselves fighting.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I hope you are right Zaphod.

Because the stakes are way to high for errors in these kinds of games.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join