It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Jet Provokes U.S. Military Naval Ship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Fox News is reporting that Russian jets have provoked a United States War Ship in the Black Sea.

For the full story, visit this link: www.foxnews.com...

Is this the start of a Military confrontation or exchange between the U.S. and Russia ?

What happens next ?
edit on 14-4-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
They were probably just trying to see if it said Duck, I had to re read it.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

rickynews
Fox News is reporting that Russian jets have provoked a United States War Ship in the Black Sea.

For the full story, visit this link: www.foxnews.com...

Is this the start of a Military confrontation or exchange between the U.S. and Russia ?

What happens next ?

Interesting indeed...

According to officials, the jet made a total of 12 passes over the course of 90 minutes. It did not once respond to multiple contacts and warnings from the USS Donald Cook, despite the fact that the U.S. Navy ship was able to reach the cockpit directly.

The low altitude of the jet varied at times from "virtual sea level to several thousand feet," Warren said. The jet did not "buzz" the Cook, but "flew too close," he said.

A second Russian Su-24 was in the area the entire time, but did not make any similarly provocative maneuvers.

Not sure of any good reason they would have other than to provoke a reaction of some sort. Wouldn't an order to execute this maneuver have to come from much higher up in a chain of command than normal? I mean high enough up that it is someone that has the ability to incite a conflict?

12 passes over 90 minutes anywhere from sea-level to several thousand feet would seem pretty clear they are trying to get some kind of reaction....I would think a single pass at sea-level would do. What is the purpose of 12?

+21 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Does the US own that part of the sea? Or air space? sounds like FUX news is trying to make a Mountain out of a mole hill..

wish we had Access to record on how many times US drones violated "air space"

Just saying....

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

LightningStrikesHere
Does the US own that part of the sea? Or air space? sounds like FUX news is trying to make a Mountain out of a mole hill..

Just saying....

The American people deserve to know, and have any information made available to them, when another military attempts to provoke our forces. Fox News is not the bad guy for reporting the news to the American people. There is a thread on ATS on that already.

This thread is about what this could mean as a development in the Ukraine, Russia and U.S. and NATO situation crisis.

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

No mountain out of a mole hill.
To be buzzed like that is an act of aggressiveness.
And just not a good idea because the potential is there for being fired upon.

That was a bad move by the Russians.

+14 more 
link   

LightningStrikesHere

Just saying....

The Pentagon, not Fox News called the moves "provocative."

link   
rickynews:

Why are you blatantly lying about what Fox News said. It didn't say 'Russian jets' provoked a US warship, it stated that a Russian 'jet' (singular) acted provocatively, not in a provoking manner. The second jet mentioned, although in the area, did not take part in any of the fly bys. So, in fact, you are talking about 1 jet! Did you actually read the article you linked to?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Darkblade71

I agree, definitely a bad move by Putin & Russia.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Interesting question and while I believe no one is insane enough to start WW3 lets assume Russia is. Nuclear weapons would have to play a large role as Russia would have no chance without them. I could see attacks on non-nuclear armed gulf states to restrict the supply of oil. It would be a game of risk to see if anyone would respond in kind with their own nukes as no nuclear state would be attacked directly.

Restricting resources has always been at the top of priory list and in recent wars oil has been at the top of the list. This of course might lure China into war against them and I believe the strategy to deal with that would be a nuclear scorched earth in their own territory to the east. Of course in the scenario oil is significantly restricted to the degree China is not a threat or they make the political decision to not be a threat this strategy would not be needed.

The next step would be to roll the tanks through the tank friendly flats of Poland and Germany right to the English channel. Then by my calculations everything hits a wall and Russia without a large enough navy to invade England or a large enough air force to subdue them the war reaches a stalemate where either nukes are used to destroy each other or a peace agreement is reached. That is of course if France didn't use their nukes when they were invaded, in that scenario it's endgame there.
edit on 14-4-2014 by john452 because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

LightningStrikesHere

Just saying....

No, they don't own that part of the sea, but all naval ships are surrounded by a no fly zone. You DO NOT fly anywhere near them, it's damn near an act of war.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

LightningStrikesHere

Just saying....

Think of it this way. You are armed and in a parking lot at the local store. Meanwhile, someone else is making threatening gestures and yelling at you, but pulling back everytime they get close to you.

Wouldn't that make you nervous? I think cooler heads prevailed in this case.

Thank God I'm not a Navy Captain.

"Attention unidentified and might I add unarmed SU-24. Are you really that stupid? Apparently you are so I will take this moment to educate you. You may have guns, but we can see that you have no anti-ship capability. So if you are willing to do a kamikaze run...good luck with that as we will blow you out of the sky without even breaking from our lunch. Without a second thought. In the meantime, have fun and thanks for the air show. It is entertaining."

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Nobody admits to watching Fox....Yet they are by far the most watched Cable News.

Putin sees weakness. He dreams of the old Soviet Union.

He is seeing if we are going to do something.

But, we are far too busy spying on innocent Americans to worry about Europe.

I do not want a war. We do not want a war. Putin knows this.

Remember "tell Vlad I will have more flexibility after I steal the Election" or something like that.

Now Vlad is seeing how far he will bend over.

link   

rickynews

LightningStrikesHere

Just saying....

The American people deserve to know, and have any information made available to them, when another military attempts to provoke our forces. Fox News is not the bad guy for reporting the news to the American people. There is a thread on ATS on that already.

This thread is about what this could mean as a development in the Ukraine, Russia and U.S. and NATO situation crisis.

I am not disputing "the right to know" just trying to think realistically here . If the Russians wanted to "provoke" i am sure they wouldn't hesitate ..

Shooting at the US ship would be a "provoking action" and that didn't happen..

It sounds like the Russian pilot was just being a bit of maverick....

link   

elysiumfire
rickynews:

Why are you blatantly lying about what Fox News said. It didn't say 'Russian jets' provoked a US warship, it stated that a Russian 'jet' (singular) acted provocatively, not in a provoking manner. The second jet mentioned, although in the area, did not take part in any of the fly bys. So, in fact, you are talking about 1 jet! Did you actually read the article you linked to?

Pentagon used the word "provocative" . Please move off the Fox News issue, and let's discuss what this means as a development in the Ukraine crisis and the potential of an escalation including a military confrontation.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I kind of see this as Putin, yet again, pushing to see just how far he can push. He has enough military might that if the US destroyer had reacted he could handle a war, but must just want to see how far he can push until he actually DOES start a war. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would love to know where the order came from to do this on the Russian side.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Darkblade71

Says who?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I haven't heard any word from Russia that the U.S. is flying over the Russian Warship they have docked right off the coast of the U.S. I guarantee it would be a double standard if it were the other way around, because the U.S. is the worlds "bully", right? RT, the Russian Fox News is also reporting the story, what are they doing?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

That being a bit of a maverick could cause a global crisis.

That is something you just do not do. Approaching another naval force with a jet fighter who does not respond to your calls to it to back off is nothing short of aggressive behavior.

If he was being a maverick, then Putin better reel him and anyone else like that in quick because we wouldn't allow something like that more than once to our ships.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

it's damn near an act of war.

Which means it is not. Some in the Russian military are just as goofy as the US military.

Russians shut down a Korean jet. US shoot down an Iranian jet. Bet neither will shoot each others down.
edit on 4/14/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join